07-18-2014 08:49 AM
77 1234
tools
    There doesn't seem to be any consensus over what the different definitions actually mean. But from what I understand;

Flagship: A device with top of the line specifications in a premium package. The best of what a manufacturer can push for the moment.

Hero: A device with over the top specifications, often including innovative/revolutionary technology intended to promote a manufacturer or ecosystem. Essentially, a device with the intent of making people switch away from their current brand loyalties just to get the device.

You can read some great comments about it in this thread:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/upc...ro-device.html

Well when the McLaren comes out I might as well get it and sign up for tmobiles jump program and get the Hero device after 6months.
    06-18-2014 03:49 AM
    Well when the McLaren comes out I might as well get it and sign up for tmobiles jump program and get the Hero device after 6months.
    The McLaren in this case would be a Hero Device. It'll have all the bells and whistles, gimmicks, over-the-top specs, and the advertising it needs. Trust me. The 930 is the current Flagship, and the McLaren will be the Hero Device to bring us into 2015 Flagships.
    07-05-2014 12:12 AM
    I'd rather the code name be "GoldenEye". Maybe the next generation pureview device can be "GoldenEye".

Not that the code names matter for retail. :p

I think pure view Is dead. Microsoft will switch to Canon.
    07-05-2014 05:04 AM
    Exactly!
    07-05-2014 05:35 AM
    yeah ... but many people loves the pure view tech ....... hope they wont blame MS/NK ... but canon is a good choice isn't it ????
    07-05-2014 05:39 AM
    Pureview is mostly the software
    07-05-2014 09:04 AM
    We don't know what patents are involved in the cross-licensing agreement yet, so let's not jump to conclusions. PureView technology and Zeiss lenses may very well stay for all we know.
    07-05-2014 09:18 AM
    McLaren said to be released on three carriers.... The Lumia 1525 is also rumoured to be released on 3 carriers.....

So...
    Lumia 1525= McLaren ?
    07-07-2014 08:23 AM
    I posted this in the comment section of the WPC article regarding the new McLaren rumours published by Neowin. But I thought I may as well copy the comment here for further discussion.

So the McLaren is now rumoured to come with a 20 MP camera instead of a 41 MP+ camera.

Some of you may be panicking right now since the earlier rumours by Tom Warren at The Verge said "Evleaks first unveiled the existence of Nokia McLaren, and we understand the device will largely be seen as a Lumia 1020 successor with a similar hump in the rear casing for a powerful camera".

But the very same Tom Warren also subtly let us know that another 41 MP sensor was unlikely with his tweet "Imagine if the Lumia 1020 successor had less than a 41-megapixel camera :)".

In other words, it's still very likely the 1020 successor. But Nokia/Microsoft may have moved away from the philosophy of more and smaller (=noisy) pixels and instead focused on something else.

So what does an imaging flagship with fewer pixels to oversample from actually mean? Well, we can all only speculate at this point, but here's a few ideas:

1) Lumia 1020 optics with twice as large pixels on the sensor.
    In the spirit of the massive pixels in the HTC One 4 MP cameras, this would ensure a greater low-light performance, greatly reduced noise and a much faster shot-to-shot time.

2) Dual 20 MP sensors
    Utilizing computational photography you could get a pixel-by-pixel cross-referenced supersampled image, 3D mapping and much more. If one of the sensors have a focal zoom you can also get zoom capabilities without needing moving parts or a thick lens (on top of the computational cross-reference improvements).

3) Canon liquid lens optics
    The Canon-Microsoft cross-licensing agreement could mean implementation of Canon's liquid lens technology, which in turn would give much thinner cameras or the potential to use even larger sensors at the same thickness as currently.

4) Pelican Imaging light-field camera
    Perhaps Microsoft chose to finally take the step to implement the Pelican Imaging plenoptic camera in the McLaren 'hero device'. This would explain a lower resolution count while also ensuring a much higher imaging quality and additional 3D imaging functions suitable for appearance in a "3D focused" flagship.

My main point is; don't worry about the megapixel count. The imaging quality and functions of the camera could be far better than anything you could have ever have hoped for in another iteration of the 41-megapixel module found in the Lumia 1020.

It's not all about megapixels.
    James8561 likes this.
    07-07-2014 05:06 PM
    A new leak from neowin suggests that there are gonna be 2 devices with 3d touch.. McLaren and the upcoming 1525
    07-08-2014 09:50 PM
    The leak from neowin also leaked some of the specs of the McLaren..

5.2 inch full HD screen
    20 megapixel camera 📷
    07-08-2014 09:52 PM
    last month, Nokia Power User reported that McLaren could have a 2k screen...

More details about Next Lumia Flagship. Snapdragon 805, Adreno 420 & 5.2 inch 2K display | NPU
    07-14-2014 04:03 AM
    November release w/ Sept Announcement. 5.2" QHD w/ 3100mAh battery SD 805 Adreno 420. 32GB ROM w/ SD Expansion & 3GB RAM. 3D touch. 20MP rear camera dual LED flash and 5MP FFC.
    07-16-2014 07:55 AM
    Why not any more 41 megapixel camera's?
    07-16-2014 07:57 AM
    2) Dual 20 MP sensors
    Utilizing computational photography you could get a pixel-by-pixel cross-referenced supersampled image, 3D mapping and much more. If one of the sensors have a focal zoom you can also get zoom capabilities without needing moving parts or a thick lens (on top of the computational cross-reference improvements).
    I believe this is the most likely reason. Remember the photo of the McLaren screen that was tweeted a couple of weeks ago? It really looked to me like the display itself was 3D because of things like the alignment of elements and the fact that some appeared to be OUTSIDE the screen. That would only make sense if said elements appeared to be above the screen and then parallax could cause that effect. Plus MS is promising revolutionary. touchless interaction really isn't that useful if you're still operating in a 2D landscape. On the other hand, if you're able to project UI elements ABOVE the screen then suddenly being able to sense above the screen and interact with said UI elements makes a LOT of sense. Anyways, I say all that because you know what would go really well with a 3D UI and 3D screen? A 3D camera (ala the Fire Phone). Dual 20 MP sensors would still mean that the phone has to process 40 megapixels, a 40 MP camera would require it to process 80 MP of data.
    07-16-2014 11:16 AM
    I believe this is the most likely reason. Remember the photo of the McLaren screen that was tweeted a couple of weeks ago? It really looked to me like the display itself was 3D because of things like the alignment of elements and the fact that some appeared to be OUTSIDE the screen. That would only make sense if said elements appeared to be above the screen and then parallax could cause that effect. Plus MS is promising revolutionary. touchless interaction really isn't that useful if you're still operating in a 2D landscape. On the other hand, if you're able to project UI elements ABOVE the screen then suddenly being able to sense above the screen and interact with said UI elements makes a LOT of sense. Anyways, I say all that because you know what would go really well with a 3D UI and 3D screen? A 3D camera (ala the Fire Phone). Dual 20 MP sensors would still mean that the phone has to process 40 megapixels, a 40 MP camera would require it to process 80 MP of data.
    That would be insane! :D Imagine you would hover over a tile and it suddenly jumps out of your display and moves with you in whatever angle you see your phone!! That would be truly revolutionary!
    07-16-2014 11:25 AM
    dual camera sensors? I've not seen anything mentioning this, it'd be nice and I wanna have as nice a camera as the 1020, improving a better camera would be better! I love photography and am torn between the two phones. Until I know more I'm waiting...
    07-16-2014 09:59 PM
    Now I found it, hope that it comes
    07-16-2014 11:11 PM
    Please let this be the Jesus Windows Phone.
    07-17-2014 12:06 AM
    Please let this be the Jesus Windows Phone.
    It wont walk on water
    07-17-2014 06:00 AM
    It wont walk on water
    Yes it will, it's water proof.
    07-17-2014 08:47 AM
    Well, if I'm correct about a 3D display, it would be a perfect fit. After all, the Fire Phone has both as does the 3DS.
    07-17-2014 06:20 PM
    If the McLaren does have 3d touch, a lytro style camera could lead to some cool effects when combined with the 3d touch
    07-17-2014 06:30 PM
    07-18-2014 08:32 AM
    I think Microsoft should focus on the OS itself rather than ridiculous 3d touch
    psudotechzealot likes this.
    07-18-2014 08:39 AM
77 1234