the dead Goldfinger/Mclaren

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: nokia Goldfinger/Mclaren

November release w/ Sept Announcement. 5.2" QHD w/ 3100mAh battery SD 805 Adreno 420. 32GB ROM w/ SD Expansion & 3GB RAM. 3D touch. 20MP rear camera dual LED flash and 5MP FFC.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

2) Dual 20 MP sensors
Utilizing computational photography you could get a pixel-by-pixel cross-referenced supersampled image, 3D mapping and much more. If one of the sensors have a focal zoom you can also get zoom capabilities without needing moving parts or a thick lens (on top of the computational cross-reference improvements).

I believe this is the most likely reason. Remember the photo of the McLaren screen that was tweeted a couple of weeks ago? It really looked to me like the display itself was 3D because of things like the alignment of elements and the fact that some appeared to be OUTSIDE the screen. That would only make sense if said elements appeared to be above the screen and then parallax could cause that effect. Plus MS is promising revolutionary. touchless interaction really isn't that useful if you're still operating in a 2D landscape. On the other hand, if you're able to project UI elements ABOVE the screen then suddenly being able to sense above the screen and interact with said UI elements makes a LOT of sense. Anyways, I say all that because you know what would go really well with a 3D UI and 3D screen? A 3D camera (ala the Fire Phone). Dual 20 MP sensors would still mean that the phone has to process 40 megapixels, a 40 MP camera would require it to process 80 MP of data.

Jonas_H

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I believe this is the most likely reason. Remember the photo of the McLaren screen that was tweeted a couple of weeks ago? It really looked to me like the display itself was 3D because of things like the alignment of elements and the fact that some appeared to be OUTSIDE the screen. That would only make sense if said elements appeared to be above the screen and then parallax could cause that effect. Plus MS is promising revolutionary. touchless interaction really isn't that useful if you're still operating in a 2D landscape. On the other hand, if you're able to project UI elements ABOVE the screen then suddenly being able to sense above the screen and interact with said UI elements makes a LOT of sense. Anyways, I say all that because you know what would go really well with a 3D UI and 3D screen? A 3D camera (ala the Fire Phone). Dual 20 MP sensors would still mean that the phone has to process 40 megapixels, a 40 MP camera would require it to process 80 MP of data.

That would be insane! :D Imagine you would hover over a tile and it suddenly jumps out of your display and moves with you in whatever angle you see your phone!! That would be truly revolutionary!

trekgraham

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

dual camera sensors? I've not seen anything mentioning this, it'd be nice and I wanna have as nice a camera as the 1020, improving a better camera would be better! I love photography and am torn between the two phones. Until I know more I'm waiting...

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

Well, if I'm correct about a 3D display, it would be a perfect fit. After all, the Fire Phone has both as does the 3DS.

Jam8240

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

If the McLaren does have 3d touch, a lytro style camera could lead to some cool effects when combined with the 3d touch

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

McLaren is scrapped.

That's rather disappointing. 3D is one area where Microsoft could have leaped ahead of the competition. But it's probably a casualty of the layoffs. They're probably still working on it, but if 3D proves viable I imagine Apple and/or Google will beat them to it now.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

The only good to come from this is, they decided it's DOA, before releasing it. As I've stated before, the 3D touch could have issues (or it could be the hero phone, possibly will be, sometime in the future).

Next, MS needs to announce their roadmap for phone releases ...
without McLaren the (hi end phone) cupboard is bare.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte