Update to nokia Lumia 1020? 1030

patstar5

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Well the 630 and 930 are suppose to be announced at build. 930 will have a 20mp camera, while I am sure it will be great, it won't be near the 41mp found on nokia Lumia 1020. So when will we see the 1030 or whatever nokia calls it? Summer? I hope they thin down the phone a bit, or make the screen a bit larger so they can make it thinner. I hope they improve the camera so it doesn't take so long to take a photo. Also would be nice if they got rid of the camera hump,

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I didn't think they were announcing hardware at BUILD.

I've heard nothing about a successor to the 1020 but since it's been popular I guess it's possible.

As for the features you want, kind of depends I guess. Having that monster of a sensor isn't easy to put into a small package. The camera was apparently slow due to the trade off of the size of picture. In regular settings it wasn't that bad.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
No way! I've finally seen an "N_LaRUE" post!!! Always perpetually ranked in the top posters list, but I never see any posts in forum threads that I check out. :p :)

Back on topic, I'm waiting for the 1020 successor so that I can jump to Nokia from ATIV S. Basically, if it's 1520 hardware with the 1020 camera and preferably an AMOLED screen, I'm sold. 5" screen minimum size.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
No way! I've finally seen an "N_LaRUE" post!!! Always perpetually ranked in the top posters list, but I never see any posts in forum threads that I check out. :p :)

I suddenly feel famous. :p

I'm pretty sure I've seen a post by you before. :) I usually hang out in the Off Topics but I do answer unanswered threads quite often, if I'm able to. I also post in other threads as well from time to time. Depends if I feel like getting involved. :p

Back on topic, I'm waiting for the 1020 successor so that I can jump to Nokia from ATIV S. Basically, if it's 1520 hardware with the 1020 camera and preferably an AMOLED screen, I'm sold. 5" screen minimum size.

I think a lot of people seem to forget the 1020 is really a niche device. There is a trade off in technology, always. If they do release a successor then it probably will be a bigger screen. Maybe the technology has gotten better to allow for faster processing of such a large image. But we don't know. :) No one else makes a smartphone like this. So it's hard to compare it to anything else. You can't really compare it to a DSLR because it's not. Now that would be something though, a smartphone DSLR. :p

Anyway, I'm happy to wait and see. :)

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
1020 is not even a year old yet and like has already been said its not a "average" flagship phone but a unique device and therefore a updated model probably won't come until the end of 2014 at the earliest but it could even be well into 2015 before we see any 1030 or whatever it's going to be named.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Putting only a bigger screen and good processor wont really make buyers jump to 1020's successor.
their are many 808 owners who still use the 808 and dont like the 1020.
their will be trade off's, God knows what new tech will be pumped in 1020's successor, but it will take time.

For now Nokia are focused on two main Phones, a 520 successor so that the Market Share rises.
A true high end phone which can compete with the android flagships.

Now dont get me wrong, 1520 is great but it did not fire the charts,like the 920.

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
The 1020's raison d'?tre is to showcase nokia's imaging tech, so the 1030 successor should do the same, with focus on the camera improvements (although I'd expect a larger screen too, so there's more room for internals and to show off the pictures). I'm hoping they'll improve the effective zoom, to 10x or beyond. Could this mean an 82MP camera sensor? New interpolation tech? A second camera with fixed zoom?

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, well, while I'm sure a proper successor to the 1020 will come out sometime later - maybe as late as a year from now - they could, and I think should do a minor refresh. Think 520->525, 920->925. The 1020 is their flagship, afterall, and it would be odd to leave it out there with a "dated" processor and a sub-1080 screen for 12-18 months. In consumer electronics that's an eternity.
I would not expect a change in camera technology (unless they find a way to produce it cheaper, do a minor revision to cut costs), but a Snapdragon 8xx SOC and a 1080p screen would definetley do it good.

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
You could well be right on that - let's call it the 1025 though rather than 1030. In terms of image quality, as I understand it there hasn't really been any significant improvement since the pureview 808 launched two years ago... So seems to me a proper imaging upgrade need not be too far away

rumblpak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, having a sensor that works better for video could be enough of a reason to release the 1030. While it works fine for 1080p, a move up to 4k is currently unsupported to my knowledge. I'd really like to see an 8k/30 just to watch all the other hardware developers have to play catch up for another year.

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
let's call it the 1025 though rather than 1030
I think all ther new 8.1 phones will have a model number in the 30's. Not saying there may not be any 40's towards the end of the year, but they may keep that for WP 8.5. I would be very surprised, though if they released a new 8.1 phone and it got a model number in the 20's. And that's good, by the way. Consistency helps the consumers know what's what.

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
well 930 can record dolby digital plus, not sure it's firmware update will allow 1020 to do that or not. Also is 1020 the only one with optical zoom so far? I mean the 1520 and 930 have like 20 megapixel but still 1020 is the only one with optical zoom which ppl will buy it for that alone.

J Ice70

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
well 930 can record dolby digital plus, not sure it's firmware update will allow 1020 to do that or not. Also is 1020 the only one with optical zoom so far? I mean the 1520 and 930 have like 20 megapixel but still 1020 is the only one with optical zoom which ppl will buy it for that alone.
I don't believe the 1020 has optical, It's just a matter of using its High megapixels to pull in detail

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion