Bracing for Disappointment from Nokia's April 2nd Event

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else feeling a little "blah" about the upcoming event? I'm sure whatever they announce will be nice, and it will be cool if they show off some of the WP8.1 features on shiny new hardware- but my enthusiasm is much lower than I might have expected. I really want to see some hardware innovation, even if they borrow from other manufacturers.
  • Co-processor or other sensor(s) that enable true hands-free activation and location/motion/state awareness (a la the iPhone 5s or Moto X)
  • Or a dedicated camera processor that provides near-instant focus and continuous 10+fps burst mode
  • Or a breakthrough in battery life that gives two days of usage
  • Or a new polycarbonate that is half the weight, but even stronger
  • Or a new display so thin it looks like the glass *is* the screen instead of looking like it sits a few mm below
  • Or they've figured out how to route the rear and front cameras to the same sensor, giving crystal clear video chat
  • Or reworked internals that allow for much, much smaller bezels without sacrificing battery, SD slot, multiple mic's etc.

I'm guessing what we'll get instead is a minor refresh of existing products, with a few tweaks to reflect new capabilities in WP8.1
Meh.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Um, maybe just me but I think some of your expectations are a bit over the top and a tad unrealistic.

Hardware has sort of plateaued which is why we're getting 'bored' with it. We're in the era of software interface and user experience. I think newer innovations in hardware will come along but cost factors will always be an issue. We want more and more for less and less.

Let's see what happens instead of making predictions. We could all be surprised.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Not looking for all of those things; but something would be nice. If our only hope for excitement is software and services, then as a WP user I really better brace myself for disappointment given how slowly MS is moving.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
To early to know if the upcoming LUMIA 930 is really a LUMIA ICON in a different package. We may be surprised...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Get yourself a Lumia 1020 and bask in the knowledge you have the best smartphone camera available today. Everything else announced will seem irrelevant (at least it does to me). :)

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Get yourself a Lumia 1020 and bask in the knowledge you have the best smartphone camera available today. Everything else announced will seem irrelevant (at least it does to me). :)

Only works when the camera is the most important thing for you in a smartphone.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Only works when the camera is the most important thing for you in a smartphone.

Well for hardware innovation the 1020 camera still stands unmatched, everything else out there is the same - quad cores, 1080p screens, huge screened phones, all been done but the 41MP camera is still unique.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Well for hardware innovation the 1020 camera still stands unmatched, everything else out there is the same - quad cores, 1080p screens, huge screened phones, all been done but the 41MP camera is still unique.

But it is still a niche feature ;)

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

Though having all of that in a single package... Damn!

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
And it seems my lack of enthusiasm was warranted. Only the tiniest of advancements differentiate the 930 from the Icon, and it will not be available in the US; nor was there any word on a new high-end device for AT&T. I remain optimistic we'll see something before the end of the year, but yeah this recent event was kind of a bust *for me*.

That said, I thought the WP8.1 software announcements were very exciting, and I look forward to loading it on my 920 soon :)

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
And it seems my lack of enthusiasm was warranted. Only the tiniest of advancements differentiate the 930 from the Icon, and it will not be available in the US; nor was there any word on a new high-end device for AT&T. I remain optimistic we'll see something before the end of the year, but yeah this recent event was kind of a bust *for me*.

That said, I thought the WP8.1 software announcements were very exciting, and I look forward to loading it on my 920 soon :)

You were right. And there was even some regression in that the 930 doesn't have Glance. The design was a disappointment to many as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro