03-30-2014 10:08 PM
26 12
tools
    So there's rumors of a 3D gesture Lumia I'm sure all of you have heard about. However recently people have been saying it won't come till late this year or early next. So I have an embarrassing Lumia 820 and think I'd like to update to the Goldfinger. But was hoping for the new device in the coming months. If anyone thinks it's a long shot (should we even trust these sources?) I'm very happy to get the "930 - martini". Essentially I really want a new phone in a month or two. But what if Goldfinger comes out a couple of months after that? Then I'll be annoyed....

Anyone else in the same situation?
    03-27-2014 09:04 PM
    I - for one - was completely disappointed that the phones with any innovations that don't have just increased iterations of specs won't come out till later this year or early next year. Want something cool. The 3D gesture sounds kind of gimmicky and I definitely don't want a fingerprint reader or styli
    03-27-2014 09:06 PM
    Agreed for the most part. Yeah the 3D thing is pretty gimmicky haha, I think I'd like a fingerprint scanner though... Quicker to unlock.

Would be nice to have some innovation though, like you say. Perhaps Microsoft is the one with the technology, and so the acquisition of Nokia has to be completed before they start putting it into Nokia phones? Just a thought.
    03-27-2014 09:13 PM
    Honestly, let this batch of phones be "catch up" phones, Nokia needs it, and let them keep "baking" on the innovative phones for the end of the year, it's actually like Nokia to do this - the Lumia 1020 is a prime example, while the 9xx series of phones we're catch up phones. I say let it be, let Nokia do what they do best, and amaze us all throughout the year of 2014!
    03-27-2014 09:33 PM
    So there's rumors of a 3D gesture Lumia I'm sure all of you have heard about. However recently people have been saying it won't come till late this year or early next. So I have an embarrassing Lumia 820 and think I'd like to update to the Goldfinger. But was hoping for the new device in the coming months. If anyone thinks it's a long shot (should we even trust these sources?) I'm very happy to get the "930 - martini". Essentially I really want a new phone in a month or two. But what if Goldfinger comes out a couple of months after that? Then I'll be annoyed....

Anyone else in the same situation?
    You can always buy the Martini and sell it when the GoldFinger gets released
    03-27-2014 09:38 PM
    You can always buy the Martini and sell it when the GoldFinger gets released
    Sounds like the plan at the moment.
    03-27-2014 10:03 PM
    I'll not wait for it because I've been waiting for a new WP since last August and Goldfinger is only coming next year. No way I'll wait so long!
    Blake Quartly likes this.
    03-27-2014 11:48 PM
    I'm not waiting that long. I have a 920, and will upgrade to that 930.
    03-27-2014 11:48 PM
    Nice to hear some people taking the same risk. If goldfinger really does come out Q4 this year, then I'll just sell the 930 ;D aha
    03-28-2014 03:41 AM
    I still think you are going to be surprised with what this 930 really is. It isn't like Nokia to give AT&T something after Verizon.
    03-28-2014 02:54 PM
    I still think you are going to be surprised with what this 930 really is. It isn't like Nokia to give AT&T something after Verizon.
    They "gave" att the 925 after tmo so that's really not a good argument.
    03-28-2014 03:05 PM
    They may have given the variant (925) to other carriers first. But when it comes to new flagships which are true successors of past devices (900, 920, 930?) they always go to AT&T first. And new flagships don't usually come along with their variants. It takes a few good months for them to come.
    03-28-2014 06:35 PM
    Man it sucks that you guys have to worry about which carrier phones will be on. That's the one good thing we have in New Zealand. All phones are unlocked.
    03-28-2014 06:39 PM
    Oh I'm in Europe, I don't have to worry about it. I'll get my 930 unlocked, that's for sure. I'm just saying that I don't think T-Mobile customers in the US will be lucky this time. Think AT&T has more reasons to be happy.

Anyway, I don't understand how the US people can stand this situation! It's such a limitation to their choice! Completely tied by their carriers.
    03-29-2014 07:44 AM
    Man it sucks that you guys have to worry about which carrier phones will be on. That's the one good thing we have in New Zealand. All phones are unlocked.
    Whoa? Lucky *******!
    03-29-2014 07:23 PM
    Read a rumor on Twitter than the goal is actually to get Goldfinger out by the end of the year. Who knows if it'll happen.
    03-29-2014 08:20 PM
    Oh I'm in Europe, I don't have to worry about it. I'll get my 930 unlocked, that's for sure. I'm just saying that I don't think T-Mobile customers in the US will be lucky this time. Think AT&T has more reasons to be happy.

Anyway, I don't understand how the US people can stand this situation! It's such a limitation to their choice! Completely tied by their carriers.
    Well, not all of us play the carrier game. MVNOs all the way for me... total freedom of choice, plus I save a few $$$.
    poiman likes this.
    03-29-2014 08:21 PM
    Well, not all of us play the carrier game. MVNOs all the way for me... total freedom of choice, plus I save a few $$$.
    But as far as I understand that's not what the majority of people do there. And I wonder why. Is it only because of the subsidised prices of the devices?
    dalydose likes this.
    03-29-2014 09:18 PM
    But as far as I understand that's not what the majority of people do there. And I wonder why. Is it only because of the subsidised prices of the devices?
    You're correct, most go the carrier route here. Why? Your guess is as good as mine. The only justification I can see for it is if they're on a family plan. Some of those are decent deals. But even the best family plans won't be cheaper per person than an MVNO. As an individual, I'd have to pay more than double per month with AT&T for the same services. The phone easily pays for itself within a year.
    03-29-2014 10:48 PM
    Well I also have Lumia 820 and I might buy Goldfinger. I'm still 1 year on contract( L820 will be year old in a week) and if it get's relesed at the end of this year price will might come down before I will buy it.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 820 using Tapatalk
    03-30-2014 05:03 AM

It's because Americans don't want to pay full price for phones. The carriers subsidize them based on contracts and they want to have leverage, thus they won't push a phone that someone can just buy at another carrier. Exceptions happen when a phone's sales get to the point where the OEM has more leverage than the carrier (iPhone & Samsung).

Nokia still needs carrier marketing dollars and carrier placement in stores and they won't do it without a differentiating product, aka exclusive.
    03-30-2014 05:40 AM
    I have a 920 and my contract still lasts a year, this combined with the fact that the 930 may be just 4.5" again got me convinced to just wait and see what that goldfinger is all about
    03-30-2014 05:46 AM
    I have a 920 and my contract still lasts a year, this combined with the fact that the 930 may be just 4.5" again got me convinced to just wait and see what that goldfinger is all about
    Oii Zoro
    03-30-2014 01:25 PM
    Oii Zoro
    Oii!
    meddyrainzo likes this.
    03-30-2014 02:44 PM
    I heard it was 5"? If it's only 4.5 I'll be waiting for sure.
    03-30-2014 09:42 PM
26 12