05-19-2014 12:49 AM
62 123
tools
    But wait, doesn't the 720 have the best battery? Oh no, better buy the Samsung after all! :-)
    As I have now said twice, I am not really criticising Nokia's current lineup. I am making a more general point that Nokia shouldn't go back to its position of six/seven years ago, where it did force users to choose between a phone that was good at one thing and another that was good at something else.
    ohh okk, i got what ur trying to convey :)
    anony_mouse likes this.
    04-09-2014 06:59 AM
    I generally agree with you - new smart phones in last couple of years have not brought big improvements to users. Modern phones are already fast enough that extra processing power is only a minor improvement, and it's debatable whether the transition from 720p to 1080p displays is noticable in normal use. I really doubt whether we need a 4k display on a mobile phone. What should happen is that average selling prices for smart phones should fall, as mid and low end phones become sufficient for most users... although manufacturers will certainly continue to push high end phones as status/fashion items and many people will be stupid enough to continue buying them... And perhaps some new use or application comes along that can really make use of new, expensive hardware.

The point that I don't agree with is that addressing more the 4GB of RAM requires a 64 bit processor and OS (x64 implies Intel, which is probably not what you meant). This is a common misconception. ARM Cortex-A15 CPUs (used in high end phones since 2012) are 32 bit processors but can address 40 bits of memory, so up to 1TB. Intel have supported a similar feature called PAE since the Pentium Pro launched in 1995. It's been supported by 32 bit Windows since before 2000 and by Linux for even longer, although Windows OS's often limit the feature for licensing reasons.
    There is a limitation that a single process (an application may use one or more processes) is limited to 4GB of memory. I don't know enough about how WP or Android map applications to processes to assess the implications of this restriction.
    While x64 does refer to Intel's old processor series, and to Intel as a whole, it's more commonly used now to refer to 64-bit. If you were talking about the Instruction Set Architecture, you're mistaking x64 for x86-64. So, yes that was what I meant. And yes, while PAE and the ARM equivalent (not familiar with ARM) can address more than 4GB, there's still the fact that the OS don't (the reason is irrelevant). Hence, the need for x64 ( ;) ) processors. Even in the perfect world, where every OS uses PAE, instead of limiting the amount of RAM that can addressed and utilized, x64 is still...better (for lack of a better word). Once mobile truly reaches parity with desktops, and the applications get more advanced, a x64 processor's ability to address more data comes in handy.

Anyway, we're getting off-topic, and delving into subjects I doubt the rest of those here can easily follow.
    04-09-2014 08:59 PM
    While x64 does refer to Intel's old processor series, and to Intel as a whole, it's more commonly used now to refer to 64-bit. If you were talking about the Instruction Set Architecture, you're mistaking x64 for x86-64. So, yes that was what I meant. And yes, while PAE and the ARM equivalent (not familiar with ARM) can address more than 4GB, there's still the fact that the OS don't (the reason is irrelevant). Hence, the need for x64 ( ;) ) processors. Even in the perfect world, where every OS uses PAE, instead of limiting the amount of RAM that can addressed and utilized, x64 is still...better (for lack of a better word). Once mobile truly reaches parity with desktops, and the applications get more advanced, a x64 processor's ability to address more data comes in handy.

Anyway, we're getting off-topic, and delving into subjects I doubt the rest of those here can easily follow.
    The first page of Google's search results for 'x64' all refer to Intel architecture CPUs. :-)

PAE and ARM equivalent *can* offer access to more than 4GB of RAM and OS's *do* support them (including both Windows and Linux). I don't know whether either Android or WP support them, and whether the fact individual processes are limited to 4GB of memory would be a major limitation for the Dalvik or CLR virtual machines - that depends how they map apps to processes.

Of course, full 64 bit support is much better, and I expect Android and WP will both go in this direction. But in theory at least, it's not the only option for supporting more than 4GB of memory.
    04-10-2014 12:52 AM
    I agree with the op. I've mentioned this very fact numerous times here, and it continues to be a frustration that every phone Nokia makes has a trade off or compromise involved. I would love a 5" flagship with everything that Nokia has to offer, but its not available, and probably won't be. Want wireless charging? Then forget about microsd and glance. Want glance? Then forget about wireless charging and HD screen. On and on and on. Everything is a compromise. So many model numbers. 930, 620, 621, 520, 521, 820, 1020, 925. I'd love to see Nokia release just a few phones: low end, mid sized flagship, 6" flagship. I personally think that making compromises at the high end is a disappointment. Just my opinion of course.
    Kintouron likes this.
    04-12-2014 10:15 AM
    Lumia 520 = the WP device for all.

Lumia 620 = the smallest WP device for those who needed a small modern smartphone (I know quite a few. Plus basically all iPhone 1G-4 users)

Lumia 625 = the affordable big screen WP experience

Lumia 720 = the stylish one, great photography and battery life road warrior

Lumia 820 = the affordable high-end. (specs, camera and display)

Lumia 920 = the flagship. Battery. Specs. Camera. Display. Best camera on a smartphone that is not a camera phone on release. Also, being the flagship, best design.

Lumia 1020 = do I even have to mention?
    add this:

Lumia 1520 = the monster

Lumia 1320 = the big damn thing for those on budget
    05-06-2014 06:43 PM
    9 different models LOL
    05-06-2014 08:49 PM
    Nokia need a hero device that creates a Halo around all it's other phones by association. Most people don't know the difference between a Galaxy S5 and any other random rubbish Galaxy, but because the top end device is really good, they assume the others will be as well.
    05-10-2014 01:08 PM
    Well the 930 would be pretty much perfect with support for mSD cards... not getting it "only" because of that.
    05-14-2014 12:46 AM
    I know a way of looking at it-
    have u guys seen Iron Man 3? In Iron Man 3, Tony Stark has like 43 suits(Iron Man suits) all with different capabilities and features
    one is strong,one is automatic , one is portable etc etc
    same with nokia,they all have the same base but each phone has one or two unique featues which phone buyers can choose , so say he want a big screen , theres a lumia for that
    say he wants a good battery life, theres a lumia for that and so on :)

the 9xx is always the undisputed flagship, the 1520 and 1020 cannot because not everyone likes the larger sceen or the camera bump,technically all 3 are flagships but in the eyes of a perfect , balanced phone buyer, the 9xx is the first place he ll look :)
    This wold be great if all the phones were available to choose from on all carriers but they are not so this whole more selection thing is pure BS. This is a MAJOR problem with WP. The OEM with 90% marketshare has a severly fragmented hardware lineup. If I could go into any carrier store & could choose between a 520/521/525, 620, 625, 630/635, 720, 820/822, 920/925/928, ICON/930, 1020 or 1520 then this argument would be valid. If they did have all the phones on all the carriers I would argue they have too many phones which cost more to produce & support. IMO they should be working to get a 5 phone lineup on all carriers: Super low end = 520 series, mid range = 720 series, flagship ICON/930 series, Phablet 1320/1520 series, Niche = 1020 series.

One of the main issues why WP adoption in the US is low is because of device fragmentation from the OEM that has 90% market share.
    05-14-2014 05:44 AM
    it seems like the mobile phone market in the United States is so screwed up with this "carrier exclusivity"...

thank God it's not like that here in Indonesia...
    05-14-2014 07:08 AM
    That is exactly the case & WP will NEVER gain solid traction with a fragmented phone line up. The day the average Joe can go into any carrier store or 3rd party retailer & buy the same phone on any carrier is the day WP will have high double digit market share. It really is one of the major factors that's holding WP adoption back, the other is people resistance to change & the last is not having a broad app selection(yes 90% of major apps are here but the last 15% & lack of local apps are still killing WP) Case in point Snapchat is huge right now, still no 1st party app & 6snap still has not been updated with the new features released 2 weeks ago. So for most teens & young adults, WP isn't even in the running.....
    05-14-2014 03:11 PM
    Zep, you are right.

Nokia must consider this seriously to tackle its opponents at the higher end cell-phone category. All the feature in a single phone?? I would buy a lumia instead of an alienware!!
    05-19-2014 12:49 AM
62 123