Something I just realised about Nokia - see if you agree.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
the other set of friends is extemely pro-android, they will keep cracking anti-apple jokes on the 1st set of friends but the only reason they got android was for piracy
only two of my friends and i are windows phone users and dont follow fads like the other two sets of friends(who are using ios/android for statussymbols/piracy respectively)

Well, from your post, your reason ("stand out of the crowd") is really not that much better. Don't judge. To each their own.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I really hope that MS doesn't mess with the Nokia brand. I don't understand why MS would launch Surface phones (though, I love my Surface Pro), but Nokia is an awesome brand with many supporters and loyal customers, I think.. but I might be wrong. I just can't imagine Surface taking over Nokia...

MS didn't rebrand Skype. I hope they don't rebrand Nokia.

It will happen. MS does not have the rights to use the Nokia name on smartphones or tablets, only feature phones.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I've never seen Iron Man but I think there's a problem with this analogy. This 'Iron Man' (who sounds like something you find at a Pride rally, but there's nothing wrong with that) owns all 43 suits. I only want to buy one smart phone.

However, I don't think there's a big problem with Nokia's range.

but what if that one smartphone you are looking for , isnt what u want/need, thats why they have so many different flagships, so a person has a choice of screen(1520) , camera(1020) ,battery(720) ,budget gaming phone(520) , all rounder(820 and now 930 by the looks of it except for lack of sd)
ps-the phones i didnt mention arent bad or something,it was just an example :)

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Well, from your post, your reason ("stand out of the crowd") is really not that much better. Don't judge. To each their own.

im not judging,you misunderstood me
i know my friend circle, they are open as to why they bought something ,im sure many college-goers and teens like me will agree with me,not all people buy a phone for the love and estetics of it, some buy it since its a fad,only thing is windows phone is just starting to make its impact in my class and slowly people have moved on from buying a phone just because they can pirate games etc
I know for a fact that my friends judge people by their phone and other gadgets, i dont have an iphone but all my other gadgets include apple products and android devices as well, so i know that they arent bad or something,its just that people think piracy when they think android in my college and think how wealthy a person is, like a status symbol, when they think ios
i dont buy gadgets for such reasons i buy them because i liked them for eg my daily gadgets are a 720, nexus 7(2012) and an ipad 2 so i get the best of all 3 and none of them overlap
my friends - nexus 5 or some other droid + nexus 7 (2013) or some other tab + another 10" tab
OR an iphone + ipad mini + a normal ipad
(not for the ecosystem, they dont make use of that)
my point being people have a follow the crowd attitude these days and dont think or compare at all
some of us on the other hand think of all possibilities and weigh our pros and cons and buy what suits our needs and not to please others etc :)
i respect others opinion but some people dont have their own opinion (like my friends) , they buy it because so and so thinks its best or so and so likes it etc :)

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
That's exactly why I hated to go with Apple or Android. It would make feel like a sheep in a flock. Nokia and Microsoft gave more freedom to express myself :)

Just to be clear - you think buying a product from one multinational corporation instead of another is 'expressing yourself'?! Corporate marketing really is amazing...

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
It will happen. MS does not have the rights to use the Nokia name on smartphones or tablets, only feature phones.

yeah me too , the nokia name is one which has always been synonymous with phones for decades now, they cant let its legacy go to waste :)
i started with nokia and used nokia phones for a major part of my life- 2100 classic,some phones i cant remember,2600 classic,5800Xm,n80,n95,e63,L720,L820

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
but what if that one smartphone you are looking for , isnt what u want/need, thats why they have so many different flagships, so a person has a choice of screen(1520) , camera(1020) ,battery(720) ,budget gaming phone(520) , all rounder(820 and now 930 by the looks of it except for lack of sd)

But what if I want a great screen, camera and battery? I doubt many people buy a smartphone just for one feature.
As I said, I don't think there is a big problem with Nokia's current products. It was much worse in the past, when they did make separate ranges, some with decent cameras, some focussed on music, etc. It was a major reason I didn't buy Nokia phones - other manufacturers would give me a phone that was good at all those things.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
But what if I want a great screen, camera and battery? I doubt many people buy a smartphone just for one feature.
As I said, I don't think there is a big problem with Nokia's current products. It was much worse in the past, when they did make separate ranges, some with decent cameras, some focussed on music, etc. It was a major reason I didn't buy Nokia phones - other manufacturers would give me a phone that was good at all those things.

then u get a 1520 ;) it has a great screen,camera and battery , my point was each lumia has something extra in some aspect,it doesnt make the others look bad but for people who want the extra, that phone makes sense

lumias are good at all but just because the 1020 has the best camera doesnt mean the 1520,930 or 925 have bad cameras but for those who need the extra megapixels, the 1020 makes sense :) , see what i mean?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
then u get a 1520 ;) it has a great screen,camera and battery , my point was each lumia has something extra in some aspect,it doesnt make the others look bad but for people who want the extra, that phone makes sense

lumias are good at all but just because the 1020 has the best camera doesnt mean the 1520,930 or 925 have bad cameras but for those who need the extra megapixels, the 1020 makes sense :) , see what i mean?

But wait, doesn't the 720 have the best battery? Oh no, better buy the Samsung after all! :)
As I have now said twice, I am not really criticising Nokia's current lineup. I am making a more general point that Nokia shouldn't go back to its position of six/seven years ago, where it did force users to choose between a phone that was good at one thing and another that was good at something else.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
But wait, doesn't the 720 have the best battery? Oh no, better buy the Samsung after all! :)
As I have now said twice, I am not really criticising Nokia's current lineup. I am making a more general point that Nokia shouldn't go back to its position of six/seven years ago, where it did force users to choose between a phone that was good at one thing and another that was good at something else.

ohh okk, i got what ur trying to convey :)

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I generally agree with you - new smart phones in last couple of years have not brought big improvements to users. Modern phones are already fast enough that extra processing power is only a minor improvement, and it's debatable whether the transition from 720p to 1080p displays is noticable in normal use. I really doubt whether we need a 4k display on a mobile phone. What should happen is that average selling prices for smart phones should fall, as mid and low end phones become sufficient for most users... although manufacturers will certainly continue to push high end phones as status/fashion items and many people will be stupid enough to continue buying them... And perhaps some new use or application comes along that can really make use of new, expensive hardware.

The point that I don't agree with is that addressing more the 4GB of RAM requires a 64 bit processor and OS (x64 implies Intel, which is probably not what you meant). This is a common misconception. ARM Cortex-A15 CPUs (used in high end phones since 2012) are 32 bit processors but can address 40 bits of memory, so up to 1TB. Intel have supported a similar feature called PAE since the Pentium Pro launched in 1995. It's been supported by 32 bit Windows since before 2000 and by Linux for even longer, although Windows OS's often limit the feature for licensing reasons.
There is a limitation that a single process (an application may use one or more processes) is limited to 4GB of memory. I don't know enough about how WP or Android map applications to processes to assess the implications of this restriction.
While x64 does refer to Intel's old processor series, and to Intel as a whole, it's more commonly used now to refer to 64-bit. If you were talking about the Instruction Set Architecture, you're mistaking x64 for x86-64. So, yes that was what I meant. And yes, while PAE and the ARM equivalent (not familiar with ARM) can address more than 4GB, there's still the fact that the OS don't (the reason is irrelevant). Hence, the need for x64 ( ;) ) processors. Even in the perfect world, where every OS uses PAE, instead of limiting the amount of RAM that can addressed and utilized, x64 is still...better (for lack of a better word). Once mobile truly reaches parity with desktops, and the applications get more advanced, a x64 processor's ability to address more data comes in handy.

Anyway, we're getting off-topic, and delving into subjects I doubt the rest of those here can easily follow.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
While x64 does refer to Intel's old processor series, and to Intel as a whole, it's more commonly used now to refer to 64-bit. If you were talking about the Instruction Set Architecture, you're mistaking x64 for x86-64. So, yes that was what I meant. And yes, while PAE and the ARM equivalent (not familiar with ARM) can address more than 4GB, there's still the fact that the OS don't (the reason is irrelevant). Hence, the need for x64 ( ;) ) processors. Even in the perfect world, where every OS uses PAE, instead of limiting the amount of RAM that can addressed and utilized, x64 is still...better (for lack of a better word). Once mobile truly reaches parity with desktops, and the applications get more advanced, a x64 processor's ability to address more data comes in handy.

Anyway, we're getting off-topic, and delving into subjects I doubt the rest of those here can easily follow.

The first page of Google's search results for 'x64' all refer to Intel architecture CPUs. :)

PAE and ARM equivalent *can* offer access to more than 4GB of RAM and OS's *do* support them (including both Windows and Linux). I don't know whether either Android or WP support them, and whether the fact individual processes are limited to 4GB of memory would be a major limitation for the Dalvik or CLR virtual machines - that depends how they map apps to processes.

Of course, full 64 bit support is much better, and I expect Android and WP will both go in this direction. But in theory at least, it's not the only option for supporting more than 4GB of memory.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the op. I've mentioned this very fact numerous times here, and it continues to be a frustration that every phone Nokia makes has a trade off or compromise involved. I would love a 5" flagship with everything that Nokia has to offer, but its not available, and probably won't be. Want wireless charging? Then forget about microsd and glance. Want glance? Then forget about wireless charging and HD screen. On and on and on. Everything is a compromise. So many model numbers. 930, 620, 621, 520, 521, 820, 1020, 925. I'd love to see Nokia release just a few phones: low end, mid sized flagship, 6" flagship. I personally think that making compromises at the high end is a disappointment. Just my opinion of course.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 520 = the WP device for all.

Lumia 620 = the smallest WP device for those who needed a small modern smartphone (I know quite a few. Plus basically all iPhone 1G-4 users)

Lumia 625 = the affordable big screen WP experience

Lumia 720 = the stylish one, great photography and battery life road warrior

Lumia 820 = the affordable high-end. (specs, camera and display)

Lumia 920 = the flagship. Battery. Specs. Camera. Display. Best camera on a smartphone that is not a camera phone on release. Also, being the flagship, best design.

Lumia 1020 = do I even have to mention?

add this:

Lumia 1520 = the monster

Lumia 1320 = the big damn thing for those on budget

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Nokia need a hero device that creates a Halo around all it's other phones by association. Most people don't know the difference between a Galaxy S5 and any other random rubbish Galaxy, but because the top end device is really good, they assume the others will be as well.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know a way of looking at it-
have u guys seen Iron Man 3? In Iron Man 3, Tony Stark has like 43 suits(Iron Man suits) all with different capabilities and features
one is strong,one is automatic , one is portable etc etc
same with nokia,they all have the same base but each phone has one or two unique featues which phone buyers can choose , so say he want a big screen , theres a lumia for that
say he wants a good battery life, theres a lumia for that and so on :)

the 9xx is always the undisputed flagship, the 1520 and 1020 cannot because not everyone likes the larger sceen or the camera bump,technically all 3 are flagships but in the eyes of a perfect , balanced phone buyer, the 9xx is the first place he ll look :)

This wold be great if all the phones were available to choose from on all carriers but they are not so this whole more selection thing is pure BS. This is a MAJOR problem with WP. The OEM with 90% marketshare has a severly fragmented hardware lineup. If I could go into any carrier store & could choose between a 520/521/525, 620, 625, 630/635, 720, 820/822, 920/925/928, ICON/930, 1020 or 1520 then this argument would be valid. If they did have all the phones on all the carriers I would argue they have too many phones which cost more to produce & support. IMO they should be working to get a 5 phone lineup on all carriers: Super low end = 520 series, mid range = 720 series, flagship ICON/930 series, Phablet 1320/1520 series, Niche = 1020 series.

One of the main issues why WP adoption in the US is low is because of device fragmentation from the OEM that has 90% market share.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
it seems like the mobile phone market in the United States is so screwed up with this "carrier exclusivity"...

thank God it's not like that here in Indonesia...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb