No New High End Phones Till Q1 2015?

AlexanderJJJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
So according to Daniel Rubino in a recent article he stated; "Only issue is, how many new highend 8.1 devices are slated to hit the US in the coming months? Answer: none." So I suppose we won't be seeing any new high-end devices from Nokia, Samsung, HTC till Q1 2015 when Threshold will be introduced?

This is not helping Windows Phone at all. :eck:

Might just have to go with the iPhone 6.

nzrocketman

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
So according to Daniel Rubino in a recent article he stated; "Only issue is, how many new highend 8.1 devices are slated to hit the US in the coming months? Answer: none." So I suppose we won't be seeing any new high-end devices from Nokia, Samsung, HTC till Q1 2015 when Threshold will be introduced?

This is not helping Windows Phone at all. :eck:

Might just have to go with the iPhone 6.

Fingers cross he doesn't know what he's talking about

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
"The coming months" is a pretty loose timeframe. A lot of us are hoping for the 1030 to be released in Autumn, and that there'll be something new and kickass about it over and above a conventionally improved display and processor. iPhone 6 will probably be pretty awesome though.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
You mean how many other High End phones besides the Lumia 930, Samsung ATIV SE, possible HTC One with WP and the rumored Sony Xperia Z something ?

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Just in the next couple of months you have the ATIV SE and the Lumia 930. Whether or not 8.1 is on them when released isn't really relevant to what you are asking as it will be available for all phones shortly. There is a rumored 1020 replacement which I would guess as being there fall release.

J Ice70

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Myself and I'm sure plenty of others who want to stick with Nokia feel the lack of information is keeping us in Lumia limbo

AlexanderJJJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Just in the next couple of months you have the ATIV SE and the Lumia 930. Whether or not 8.1 is on them when released isn't really relevant to what you are asking as it will be available for all phones shortly. There is a rumored 1020 replacement which I would guess as being there fall release.

Well for the US the only new phones are the Icon and the ATIV SE which are only exclusive to Verizon. So far no indication has been hinted for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint. So if your not on Verzion, you're kind of screwed.

I'm thinking the Nokia branding will drop when Threshold comes out which will probably be WP9 to go along with Windows 9 since they'll be announced at the same time.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft/Nokia is smart and want a shot at growth they need a flagship model on all 4 major carriers by the holidays

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1

AlexanderJJJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
There's no way Nokia branding will drop that soon, if ever. IF we actually see a surface phone, i think it'll be a single model aka the Nexus series that lives alongside Lumias.

Well when the acquisition of Nokia's Devices & Services business goes through to Microsoft, they're not allowed to use the Nokia branding on smartphones, only non-smartphones AKA their Asha line.

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
You're right, hadn't realized that. But, ms have bought the lumia brand outright, and I still reckon they'll continue with that for a good few years to come rather than a straight switch to surface

AlexanderJJJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think a reasonable interpretation of "in the coming months" means "longer than nine months."

Well what I got from it was this new Nokia "Goldfinger" device that's suppose to have a 3D gesture system is going to be put most into focus to have it reach their goal of Q1 2015, so I really think they wouldn't focus on high-end devices if they'll have one the next month they'll be much better. Just my two cents.

I'd really like to see a HTC One M8 w/ WP8.1 on all carriers! Kind of doubt Samsung will have a device for all the carriers, as they never have and are just about to release the ATIV SE exclusively for Verizon.

That tweet that Tom Warren recently posted today makes me optimistic will see a high-end Sony WP8.1 device on T-Mobile, since Sony is only in love with them. That's okay for me since I'm on T-Mobile! :D

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The last info that got passed around is that MS actually negotiated the rights to use the Nokia brand on all phones for, I believe, 10 years. There was a lot of back and forth with this, but it apparently changed when the final deal was put through the regulators. In fact, I believe there was a story hear on WPC that talked about this. I think it was a piece where they interviewed someone high up at MS. I know CNET had an article about this, and there's been additional info that seemed to confirm that the final deal gave MS the ability to use the brand on smartphones as well as the Asha line.

We will know for certain when the deal is final and we see what they actually do.

XeroJC2000

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 930 is not coming to the US and Lumia ICON is locked into Verizon, so AT&T people are stuck without a new phone for the foreseeable future. I think this is a miss on WP team I can't believe we won't see a new phone until 2015.

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking they were not wanting to put out a new flagship before the deal closed so the next new not rebadged Lumia flagship will be from MS. Especially if the deal is supposed to close by the end of the month. The question is when will it be announced and will,it be much of an upgrade from 930/1520 and when will we see the next flagship camera with a phone stuffed in?

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
when will we see the next flagship camera with a phone stuffed in?
I think this is the question people are most excited about. The 41MP sensor and lossless zoom was genuinely new and exciting tech, and there's an expectation (or at least hope) of the next iteration being an equal leap up. Plenty of room for disappointment too - I hope they don't go the same route as htc and just whack on something like a depth sensor which is only of niche value

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
step to make a phone:
plan (do codename too) > planning feature > do 10 ~ 20 beta testing phone > give beta testing about 6 month&fix bug too > once finished, do contract with hardware manufacturer > another beta testing again > no bugs and checked all hardware > sell
took 1 years to create a phone, i dont see anything wrong about it

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I have been on WP 7 for a long time now. Was hoping for a new WP 8 device for AT&T, but they didnt mention one. Everything is exclusive to Verizon. They have pretty much lost my attention for now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)