No New High End Phones Till Q1 2015?

Sharpmango

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice to see a new phone 4Q2014.. However they might just carry the L930 as the new phone till then. By december, the L1520 and L1020 would definitely need refreshes... So lets see what happens.. It was disappointing that the L930 did not come out 12 months after the L920.. Perhaps with Microsofts greater resources we can have 12 month refreshes

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Nokia needs to release a 5" - 5.5" device. (5"-5.2" is perfect)
4.5" is too small and 6" is too big. Small screens are the reason iPhone users are looking for another device, But, iPhone users don't want a phablet either. )
If you want people to switch to your phone and OS, make phones that fits all needs and wants, or remain at 2% marketshare and then cry because no one wants to bother making apps for that 2%.
Microsoft/Nokia are idiots if they don't release new phones this year for ALL carriers, not this verizon only crap or they deserve a 2% marketshare.

I only mentioned Nokia because I don't want Samsung anything anymore. Done with that company.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Nokia needs to release a 5" - 5.5" device. (5"-5.2" is perfect)
4.5" is too small and 6" is too big. Small screens are the reason iPhone users are looking for another device, But, iPhone users don't want a phablet either. )
If you want people to switch to your phone and OS, make phones that fits all needs and wants, or remain at 2% marketshare and then cry because no one wants to bother making apps for that 2%.
Microsoft/Nokia are idiots if they don't release new phones this year for ALL carriers, not this verizon only crap or they deserve a 2% marketshare.

I only mentioned Nokia because I don't want Samsung anything anymore. Done with that company.

On the high end at least, it looks like the MS/Nokia phones will be 5" (Icon) and 6" (1520) for the near future. 90% of the people should be happy with both those sizes. The funny thing about 6" phones is that the people who say they are too big are invariably the ones that don't have one. Most people that have a 1520 say that it took them a day or two to get used to the size but that they now love it.

nkaufmann

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
On the high end at least, it looks like the MS/Nokia phones will be 5" (Icon) and 6" (1520) for the near future. 90% of the people should be happy with both those sizes. The funny thing about 6" phones is that the people who say they are too big are invariably the ones that don't have one. Most people that have a 1520 say that it took them a day or two to get used to the size but that they now love it.
But how long is the near future? If they don't release a phone until next year I view problems arising.... I view a phone upgrade coming Q3/Q4 2014

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
But how long is the near future? If they don't release a phone until next year I view problems arising.... I view a phone upgrade coming Q3/Q4 2014

I agree. I was just commenting about the size. I don't see a 5.5" phone in the next update. It looks like they are going with the 5" - 6" spread which seems fine to me.

nkaufmann

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I was just commenting about the size. I don't see a 5.5" phone in the next update. It looks like they are going with the 5" - 6" spread which seems fine to me.

I had a 1520 for 5 weeks, absolutely loved it. Had a bug though and just returned it as I heard new phones rumored for April.I can attest to the 6 inch screen having more pros than cons (to me). The spread seems perfect.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I think the fact that Microsoft were fast to release a Surface Pro refresh in 6 months is promising for their phone-end of the business too.
During the Pro 3 unveiling, Satya did however say that Microsoft had no intentions to compete with hardware manufacturers. So perhaps all we'll see from Nokia in the future is the fancy niche-phones that shows off innovation and draws customers in, like the 1020, Goldfinger and plenoptic cameraphones.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
If that is the case what was the purpose of buying the handset business. No movement in the handset line could replicate a weakness in Microsoft's mobile plan. I have a 820 and my wife a 925, we have two 520's for backup. I would like to upgrade my 820, but I see nothing to upgrade too in the Microsoft/Nokia lineup.

Sent from my KFTT using Mobile Nations mobile app

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, in that podcast with Daniel and Rene, Daniel thought Goldfinger could be out around the Holiday season. If the 930 is the only high end Lumia til then, I might as well hop on a 1520 now and see what's out in a year. :/

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720