05-28-2014 10:39 PM
30 12
tools
    So according to Daniel Rubino in a recent article he stated; "Only issue is, how many new highend 8.1 devices are slated to hit the US in the coming months? Answer: none." So I suppose we won't be seeing any new high-end devices from Nokia, Samsung, HTC till Q1 2015 when Threshold will be introduced?

This is not helping Windows Phone at all.

Might just have to go with the iPhone 6.
    04-07-2014 04:50 PM
    So according to Daniel Rubino in a recent article he stated; "Only issue is, how many new highend 8.1 devices are slated to hit the US in the coming months? Answer: none." So I suppose we won't be seeing any new high-end devices from Nokia, Samsung, HTC till Q1 2015 when Threshold will be introduced?

This is not helping Windows Phone at all.

Fingers cross he doesn't know what he's talking about
    04-07-2014 05:02 PM
    "The coming months" is a pretty loose timeframe. A lot of us are hoping for the 1030 to be released in Autumn, and that there'll be something new and kickass about it over and above a conventionally improved display and processor. iPhone 6 will probably be pretty awesome though.
    Beijendorf likes this.
    04-07-2014 05:10 PM
    You mean how many other High End phones besides the Lumia 930, Samsung ATIV SE, possible HTC One with WP and the rumored Sony Xperia Z something ?
    falconrap and BIGPADDY like this.
    04-07-2014 05:12 PM
    Just in the next couple of months you have the ATIV SE and the Lumia 930. Whether or not 8.1 is on them when released isn't really relevant to what you are asking as it will be available for all phones shortly. There is a rumored 1020 replacement which I would guess as being there fall release.
    04-07-2014 05:25 PM
    Myself and I'm sure plenty of others who want to stick with Nokia feel the lack of information is keeping us in Lumia limbo
    AlexanderJJJ likes this.
    04-07-2014 05:33 PM
    Just in the next couple of months you have the ATIV SE and the Lumia 930. Whether or not 8.1 is on them when released isn't really relevant to what you are asking as it will be available for all phones shortly. There is a rumored 1020 replacement which I would guess as being there fall release.
    Well for the US the only new phones are the Icon and the ATIV SE which are only exclusive to Verizon. So far no indication has been hinted for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint. So if your not on Verzion, you're kind of screwed.

I'm thinking the Nokia branding will drop when Threshold comes out which will probably be WP9 to go along with Windows 9 since they'll be announced at the same time.
    04-07-2014 05:46 PM
    I'm thinking the Nokia branding will drop when Threshold
    There's no way Nokia branding will drop that soon, if ever. IF we actually see a surface phone, i think it'll be a single model aka the Nexus series that lives alongside Lumias.
    04-07-2014 05:54 PM
    If Microsoft/Nokia is smart and want a shot at growth they need a flagship model on all 4 major carriers by the holidays

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
    AlexanderJJJ likes this.
    04-07-2014 05:57 PM
    There's no way Nokia branding will drop that soon, if ever. IF we actually see a surface phone, i think it'll be a single model aka the Nexus series that lives alongside Lumias.
    Well when the acquisition of Nokia's Devices & Services business goes through to Microsoft, they're not allowed to use the Nokia branding on smartphones, only non-smartphones AKA their Asha line.
    04-07-2014 06:03 PM
    I don't think a reasonable interpretation of "in the coming months" means "longer than nine months."
    04-07-2014 06:08 PM
    You're right, hadn't realized that. But, ms have bought the lumia brand outright, and I still reckon they'll continue with that for a good few years to come rather than a straight switch to surface
    04-07-2014 06:36 PM
    I don't think a reasonable interpretation of "in the coming months" means "longer than nine months."
    Well what I got from it was this new Nokia "Goldfinger" device that's suppose to have a 3D gesture system is going to be put most into focus to have it reach their goal of Q1 2015, so I really think they wouldn't focus on high-end devices if they'll have one the next month they'll be much better. Just my two cents.

I'd really like to see a HTC One M8 w/ WP8.1 on all carriers! Kind of doubt Samsung will have a device for all the carriers, as they never have and are just about to release the ATIV SE exclusively for Verizon.

That tweet that Tom Warren recently posted today makes me optimistic will see a high-end Sony WP8.1 device on T-Mobile, since Sony is only in love with them. That's okay for me since I'm on T-Mobile! :D
    04-07-2014 06:52 PM
    The last info that got passed around is that MS actually negotiated the rights to use the Nokia brand on all phones for, I believe, 10 years. There was a lot of back and forth with this, but it apparently changed when the final deal was put through the regulators. In fact, I believe there was a story hear on WPC that talked about this. I think it was a piece where they interviewed someone high up at MS. I know CNET had an article about this, and there's been additional info that seemed to confirm that the final deal gave MS the ability to use the brand on smartphones as well as the Asha line.

We will know for certain when the deal is final and we see what they actually do.
    AlexanderJJJ likes this.
    04-07-2014 08:34 PM
    The Lumia 930 is not coming to the US and Lumia ICON is locked into Verizon, so AT&T people are stuck without a new phone for the foreseeable future. I think this is a miss on WP team I can't believe we won't see a new phone until 2015.
    AlexanderJJJ likes this.
    04-07-2014 08:40 PM
    How do you classify the next iPhone as "high end"? The 5s lacks features it's competitor have and Apple have proved time and time they only manage the bare minimum in new devices
    hasasimo likes this.
    04-12-2014 07:27 PM
    I'm thinking they were not wanting to put out a new flagship before the deal closed so the next new not rebadged Lumia flagship will be from MS. Especially if the deal is supposed to close by the end of the month. The question is when will it be announced and will,it be much of an upgrade from 930/1520 and when will we see the next flagship camera with a phone stuffed in?
    BobLobIaw likes this.
    04-12-2014 09:47 PM
    when will we see the next flagship camera with a phone stuffed in?
    I think this is the question people are most excited about. The 41MP sensor and lossless zoom was genuinely new and exciting tech, and there's an expectation (or at least hope) of the next iteration being an equal leap up. Plenty of room for disappointment too - I hope they don't go the same route as htc and just whack on something like a depth sensor which is only of niche value
    Sharpmango likes this.
    04-13-2014 03:57 AM
    step to make a phone:
    plan (do codename too) > planning feature > do 10 ~ 20 beta testing phone > give beta testing about 6 month&fix bug too > once finished, do contract with hardware manufacturer > another beta testing again > no bugs and checked all hardware > sell
    took 1 years to create a phone, i dont see anything wrong about it
    04-17-2014 04:02 AM
    I have been on WP 7 for a long time now. Was hoping for a new WP 8 device for AT&T, but they didnt mention one. Everything is exclusive to Verizon. They have pretty much lost my attention for now.
    04-22-2014 08:48 PM
    It would be nice to see a new phone 4Q2014.. However they might just carry the L930 as the new phone till then. By december, the L1520 and L1020 would definitely need refreshes... So lets see what happens.. It was disappointing that the L930 did not come out 12 months after the L920.. Perhaps with Microsofts greater resources we can have 12 month refreshes
    04-24-2014 12:39 PM
    Nokia needs to release a 5" - 5.5" device. (5"-5.2" is perfect)
    4.5" is too small and 6" is too big. Small screens are the reason iPhone users are looking for another device, But, iPhone users don't want a phablet either. )
    If you want people to switch to your phone and OS, make phones that fits all needs and wants, or remain at 2% marketshare and then cry because no one wants to bother making apps for that 2%.
    Microsoft/Nokia are idiots if they don't release new phones this year for ALL carriers, not this verizon only crap or they deserve a 2% marketshare.

I only mentioned Nokia because I don't want Samsung anything anymore. Done with that company.
    04-28-2014 02:10 AM
    Nokia needs to release a 5" - 5.5" device. (5"-5.2" is perfect)
    4.5" is too small and 6" is too big. Small screens are the reason iPhone users are looking for another device, But, iPhone users don't want a phablet either. )
    If you want people to switch to your phone and OS, make phones that fits all needs and wants, or remain at 2% marketshare and then cry because no one wants to bother making apps for that 2%.
    Microsoft/Nokia are idiots if they don't release new phones this year for ALL carriers, not this verizon only crap or they deserve a 2% marketshare.

I only mentioned Nokia because I don't want Samsung anything anymore. Done with that company.
    On the high end at least, it looks like the MS/Nokia phones will be 5" (Icon) and 6" (1520) for the near future. 90% of the people should be happy with both those sizes. The funny thing about 6" phones is that the people who say they are too big are invariably the ones that don't have one. Most people that have a 1520 say that it took them a day or two to get used to the size but that they now love it.
    04-28-2014 10:57 AM
    On the high end at least, it looks like the MS/Nokia phones will be 5" (Icon) and 6" (1520) for the near future. 90% of the people should be happy with both those sizes. The funny thing about 6" phones is that the people who say they are too big are invariably the ones that don't have one. Most people that have a 1520 say that it took them a day or two to get used to the size but that they now love it.
    But how long is the near future? If they don't release a phone until next year I view problems arising.... I view a phone upgrade coming Q3/Q4 2014
    04-28-2014 11:16 AM
    But how long is the near future? If they don't release a phone until next year I view problems arising.... I view a phone upgrade coming Q3/Q4 2014
    I agree. I was just commenting about the size. I don't see a 5.5" phone in the next update. It looks like they are going with the 5" - 6" spread which seems fine to me.
    nkaufmann likes this.
    04-28-2014 11:32 AM
30 12