SONY Windows Phone 8.1 devices suggested July release tweeted by Tom Warren

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: SONY Windows Phone 8.1 devices suggested June release tweeted by Tom Warren

That would be cool, but the PS app better come to all of WP8.1, not just Sony.

Sent from my SONY PlayStation 4 using WPCentral Forums

The PS app could go two ways be released for all WP8.1 devices or be exclusive to SONY WP devices for a limited time.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Really hope this pans out. I think this could be really good for the platform if it does.

This would be perfect for the platform and push more sales for WP in the UK and Europe since there very popular there.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Really hoping Sony gets on the track.
Always had great success with anything Sony.

Almost anything Sony makes can become timeless if it finds consumer success.
Came close to getting a Zdevice prior to walking away from Bugdroid.

Same for me SONY are outstanding and I did get a Z1 for a short while however android was too horrible to use so got my money back the Z1 and the SONY exclusive apps were outstanding.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Same for me SONY are outstanding and I did get a Z1 for a short while however android was too horrible to use so got my money back the Z1 and the SONY exclusive apps were outstanding.

Ooooo ...
The Sony Tablet Z\Z2 are such a great pieces of hardware although pricey.
Just holding one you feel like it will last into eons of time :smile:

My Surface reminds me slightly of the Xperia Z so there's a bit of satisfaction there.
Come on Sony!!!

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Ooooo ...
The Sony Tablet Z\Z2 are such a great pieces of hardware although pricey.
Just holding one you feel like it will last into eons of time :smile:

My Surface reminds me slightly of the Xperia Z so there's a bit of satisfaction there.
Come on Sony!!!

I would love a SONY Tablet Z2 with Windows RT the tablet Z2 looks awesome and a beautiful piece of hardware!

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

They didn't sell the brand name. But just their hardware division pretty much

Actually Sony did sell the VAIO brand too. They sold the division with everything within it. What they spinned-off was their TV division.

Sony phones are very expensive.

They are also very good. It's one of those things where the price is justified by the quality and elegance of the hardware. But they are definitely not phones for emerging markets. In that sense, Sony's offerings are more in like with Apple's offerings than Nokia's.

I will keep cautions about these rumours about Sony Windows Phones. Their phones are the ones I will be jumping to once Nokia leaves the mobile manufacturing business, regardless of them being Android or not. However, well, if Sony gives me a Z2 Compact running Windows Phone, I might just as well stay within the same OS I've been using.

I just don't believe a Sony phone will come that soon. There are more difficult things to be negotiated between Microsoft and Sony when it comes to producing a WP than the licencing fees.
There's the entire matter of Xbox VS PlayStation. The console wars has reflections on both companies mobile services. Sony has on their phones, and for PlayStation, the same thing Microsoft currently has on Windows Phones with Xbox (Music, Video and Games).

For Sony to produce Windows Phones, Microsoft will have to allow them to remove the Xbox offerings from the OS (which with 8.1 IS possible) and have them replaced with Sony's PlayStation offerings. Will Microsoft concede to that? That's the biggest IF when it comes to the production of a Windows Phone by Sony.

Of course, it would be possible for Sony to release the phone with Xbox stuff in it. I just don't think Sony is that stupid and definitely isn't that desperate.

We'll wait and see. Also, Sony renews their flagships every 6 months on Android (that's why if you want to have always the latest specs on Android, you go Sony)...if they do the same cycle with Windows Phones, I can see a lot of people complaining "but I just bought this flagship 4 months ago!".

Well, fingers crossed...

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

SONY prefer to use on screen buttons for there device however they always keep the hardware camera button which is great!

That's a big deal for me. I really don't like on-screen buttons. I don't know what it is, but capacitive buttons really just say premium to me. If Sony devices only came with on-screen buttons, I'd have to pass.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I don't think Sony was on that long list of new OEMs at Build keynote, I was specifically looking for it. Maybe it wasn't confirmed yet, maybe they wanted to keep it a surprise, who knows, I'm excited to see what happens. More OEMs (especially major ones) are certainly good for the platform, and by WP gaining users, I'm sure even banks are going to start making apps for it :)

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I don't think Sony was on that long list of new OEMs at Build keynote, I was specifically looking for it. Maybe it wasn't confirmed yet, maybe they wanted to keep it a surprise, who knows, I'm excited to see what happens. More OEMs (especially major ones) are certainly good for the platform, and by WP gaining users, I'm sure even banks are going to start making apps for it :)

No they weren't I think there going to be the surprise or there getting the apps and such ready who knows.

anyway I'm leaning towards it being a surprise!

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

No they weren't I think there going to be the surprise or there getting the apps and such ready who knows.

anyway I'm leaning towards it being a surprise!

true , I love BIG surprises , they are waiting for wp8.1 gdr update so that they could use the latest hardware ?

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

true , I love BIG surprises , they are waiting for wp8.1 gdr update so that they could use the latest hardware ?

I don't see SONY using the Snapdragon 805 they are more likely to use either the Snapdragon 801 since that what there using for there flagship device or the Snapdragon 800 there not much difference between both.

I would be glad just to see a device in June!

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Actually Sony did sell the VAIO brand too. They sold the division with everything within it. What they spinned-off was their TV division.

They are also very good. It's one of those things where the price is justified by the quality and elegance of the hardware. But they are definitely not phones for emerging markets. In that sense, Sony's offerings are more in like with Apple's offerings than Nokia's.

I will keep cautions about these rumours about Sony Windows Phones. Their phones are the ones I will be jumping to once Nokia leaves the mobile manufacturing business, regardless of them being Android or not. However, well, if Sony gives me a Z2 Compact running Windows Phone, I might just as well stay within the same OS I've been using.

I just don't believe a Sony phone will come that soon. There are more difficult things to be negotiated between Microsoft and Sony when it comes to producing a WP than the licencing fees.
There's the entire matter of Xbox VS PlayStation. The console wars has reflections on both companies mobile services. Sony has on their phones, and for PlayStation, the same thing Microsoft currently has on Windows Phones with Xbox (Music, Video and Games).

For Sony to produce Windows Phones, Microsoft will have to allow them to remove the Xbox offerings from the OS (which with 8.1 IS possible) and have them replaced with Sony's PlayStation offerings. Will Microsoft concede to that? That's the biggest IF when it comes to the production of a Windows Phone by Sony.

Of course, it would be possible for Sony to release the phone with Xbox stuff in it. I just don't think Sony is that stupid and definitely isn't that desperate.

We'll wait and see. Also, Sony renews their flagships every 6 months on Android (that's why if you want to have always the latest specs on Android, you go Sony)...if they do the same cycle with Windows Phones, I can see a lot of people complaining "but I just bought this flagship 4 months ago!".

Well, fingers crossed...

I don't see the issue with Xbox Vs PlayStation since both consoles are selling extremely well Xbox One was last reported sold 4 million units and PS4 selling 6.1 million so both are neck and neck just off BT a few million and I see many people buying both consoles either way. I know I'm planning on buying an Xbox One when the right game comes out but have my PS4 for that long wait. Many of my friends are going to buy both they are going for the PS4 since it cheaper than later buy the Xbox one when it cheaper in price.

The PlayStation mobile app when I used it on the Z1 I had for a while didn't have any good games at all and was only about 40 in the store at a high price. And the main games and all the others that was on android never went to the PlayStation mobile app on the device put the Google play part. So I don't see why Xbox games needs to be removed just have both on the device.

Having both on the device will be a great selling point for WP and SONY.

I agree with the tweet that SONY will release WP8.1 devices at June and I think they will releasing a low, mid and high end WP device once a year and not do their android strategy of releasing a new flagship once in the first half and then the second half of the year. They will properly wait and see if there WP devices are popular and then they may go for the android strategy of releasing a new flagship 2 a year.

Looking forward to June!

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I don't see the issue with Xbox Vs PlayStation since both consoles are selling extremely well Xbox One was last reported sold 4 million units and PS4 selling 6.1 million so both are neck and neck just off BT a few million and I see many people buying both consoles either way. I know I'm planning on buying an Xbox One when the right game comes out but have my PS4 for that long wait. Many of my friends are going to buy both they are going for the PS4 since it cheaper than later buy the Xbox one when it cheaper in price.

The PlayStation mobile app when I used it on the Z1 I had for a while didn't have any good games at all and was only about 40 in the store at a high price. And the main games and all the others that was on android never went to the PlayStation mobile app on the device put the Google play part. So I don't see why Xbox games needs to be removed just have both on the device.

Having both on the device will be a great selling point for WP and SONY.

I agree with the tweet that SONY will release WP8.1 devices at June and I think they will releasing a low, mid and high end WP device once a year and not do their android strategy of releasing a new flagship once in the first half and then the second half of the year. They will properly wait and see if there WP devices are popular and then they may go for the android strategy of releasing a new flagship 2 a year.

Looking forward to June!

The problem is that they are conflicting offers. It's in Sony's best interest that users of an hypothetical Sony WP use their Music, Video and Games service instead of Microsoft's.
Don't forget Sony also makes money out of those services.

Maybe they won't do the constant refresh on WP. Lets see. First we need to see a Sony WP device materialize. Which I still doubt will happen but will be gladly proven wrong by Sony (and if they release a Z2 Compact with WP, I'm buying it upon launch, something I *never* do with any phone).

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that they are conflicting offers. It's in Sony's best interest that users of an hypothetical Sony WP use their Music, Video and Games service instead of Microsoft's.

Maybe they won't do the constant refresh on WP. Lets see. First we need to see a Sony WP device materialize. Which I still doubt will happen but will be gladly proven wrong by Sony (and if they release a Z2 Compact with WP, I'm buying it upon launch, something I *never* do with any phone).

If they release a device at all I will be doing the same buying straight away or pre-order for the device, I have never done this for a phone but I'm happy to make the exception.

Da1020Da

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

If Sony on WP8, I probably the most tempted, lots of Sony Brand in my house
You're most welcome Sony

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

If Sony on WP8, I probably the most tempted, lots of Sony Brand in my house
You're most welcome Sony

I'm the same in my house can't wait to one more addition to the family.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Why couldn't they just have both on it, but show their own more prominently? On Android, Google Music is still there, yet they have their own Sony music store. There's some conflicting interest, but I think it more comes down to "can we make money from this?". I'm not sure how big Sony's music store is worldwide, but if it's bigger than Xbox music and would have Sony customers pick that over Xbox music, then it would be in their best interest to keep it. I'd rather they be like Nokia and just offer both, but display theirs more prominently. I realize Here Maps is the exception, but it powers Bing Maps, so that's ok.

The only problem I can think of is the games since you can only get achievements via Xbox. With that being said, they made it work with their PC division.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

I agree with you... It would be a puzzling move. I think Microsoft would have to cut Sony a sweet deal to get manufacturing. But I think they would do it. Especially since WP8 is actually losing marketshare in Asia as opposed to gaining it.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure how much this matters. Nokia MixRadio and Xbox Music co-exist just fine. Sony including these services exclusively for purchasers of their Windows Phones is obviously advantageous to them, but Microsoft wins as well, as this would eliminate some barriers to switching for those that currently use Sony's services on other platforms. That way, instead of an Xperia user saying "I want to try Windows Phone, but I can't live without Sony's music service," they can say "Oh sweet, this Windows Phone has the Sony music service, maybe I'll try it out," and everyone wins!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss