Should I get a Lumia or LG Uni8?

TheMightyCraken

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a Nokia Lumia 520(which I love) but I would soon like to upgread. Should I get a Lumia or wait out on the LG Uni8(Which looks SICK) and comes with WP 8.1. If I should get a Lumia, which one? Thanks ALOT in advance and BTW I LOVE the WP Community...

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I've been holding off because I'm not crazy about the Icon, so when I saw the LG I was very excited. But that's been tempered because now they're saying the rumor may not be true.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I say get the LG. There needs to be as many non-Microsoft made Windows Phones as possible. OEMs need to realize that they're able to compete and they wont think they're able to if everyone is buying Lumias.

TheMightyCraken

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I say get the LG. There needs to be as many non-Microsoft made Windows Phones as possible. OEMs need to realize that they're able to compete and they wont think they're able to if everyone is buying Lumias.
Totally agree...Also a Plus/negative (depends on how you look at it) there wont be any LG Bloatware (It can easly removed unlike Android) but still, less bloatware in my eyes is better...

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree...Also a Plus/negative (depends on how you look at it) there wont be any LG Bloatware (It can easly removed unlike Android) but still, less bloatware in my eyes is better...

I guess it depends on how you view it. I kept most of Nokia's bloatware, but I found AT&T's bloatware useless. If it helps, if the LG phone ever comes out and I'm near my contract, I'll probably get it too if Microsoft releases the Nokia collection to all phones.

I care more about supporting the platform than Microsoft's (relatively) small loss on the phones.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

That's some flawed logic.

I say buy the Lumia. LG abandoned the platform and pretty much sort of dissed it. For that alone cannot see myself owning a LG or recommending it.

At least with Lumia you know it will be supported since it comes from Microsoft .

I don't care about other OEMs and if they do anything good

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I say buy the Lumia. LG abandoned the platform and pretty much sort of dissed it. For that alone cannot see myself owning a LG or recommending it.

At least with Lumia you know it will be supported since it comes from Microsoft .

If people only buy Lumias, then other OEMS won't support it as much as they would. That limits the number of devices and will cripple WP's potential market share.

You can complain about other OEMs all you want, but its silly to criticize companies for not wanting to lose money (possibly millions) just for the sake of Micah Dawson being able to buy a phone that "supports" WP (which Nokia mainly did because they were paid $1 billion a year).

Refusing to buy a phone because the company made a logical business decision that you don't agree to is some flawed logic.

TheMightyCraken

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking over it, and we most likely getting The Uni8 for me and My dad and a Lumia for my Mom (They wanna make the switch also*Cough* I convinced them)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely love how people try to downplay what Nokia has done or if they don't suddenly it is because "They were paid billons"

I don't care if they were paid to do it or not. They have done MORE for this platform and brought eyes to it than Samsung, HTC, LG and any of the other OEMs.

It doesn't cripple the market share. The market share has been growing BECAUSE Of lumias alike. I wish people would stop this whole mentality of "We need more OEMs for better market share."

No....We need to get the APPS that IOS and Android has so the reviewers will stop harping how WP lacks this and lacks that.

We already have options from Nokia and less but decent(I suppose) options from Samsung & HTC. Fact of the matter is people that have WP now, most of which went Lumia. When you think of WP, you think lumia. Much like unfortunately, Galaxy is signature for Android.

I refuse to buy a WP from LG simply because LG likely wont support the damn thing. If I am not mistaken, their Windows Phone(s) they did release didn't even get 7.8

I'd rather Microsoft invest money in our platform and using it to get the developers to come on over vs caving in so we can get more hardware. In most cases, the hardware is never the complaint and why the reason people dislike WP.

it's the SOFTWARE and the 3rd party apps.

having more options is fine....and I agree with that, even if Lumia is better tome.

But saying we need more OEMs just for market share is wholly incorrect. And telling people they should get Non-Lumia/Microsoft phones just so we can appease OEMs is just..laughable.

Personally I wish Microsoft would grow a pair and let these OEMs do whatever they want to do....this Is for WP and Windows 8.

These OEMS want to jump in bed with GOOGLE then let them, start releasing Surface lines for all sorts of price points from budget to premium.

Redefine the Lumia experience post-Nokia deal. Let them make their hand me downs if they want to do but I hope they do not dilute the already established and popular Lumia brand just to appease these OEMs who don't give a damn really.

It's bad enough our apps are now coming to the other WPs. That is annoying but not much I can do. Hopefully Microsoft will continue bringing EXCLUSIVE features to the lumia line since all long prior, Lumias were synonymous with the extra features and apps. The Nexus of WP in a way while the others were just...basic windows phone.

I am all for competition, but not at the expense of taking an already established great thing(And the very thing that has made WP what it is now) and destroying it just so we can say we have Samsung, HTC and LG phones.

The Uni8 looks great but it is LG(though I'd own an LG before I own a Samsung) and they've already proven once they are not reliable as a wp OEM.

If people only buy Lumias, then other OEMS won't support it as much as they would. That limits the number of devices and will cripple WP's potential market share.

You can complain about other OEMs all you want, but its silly to criticize companies for not wanting to lose money (possibly millions) just for the sake of Micah Dawson being able to buy a phone that "supports" WP (which Nokia mainly did because they were paid $1 billion a year).

Refusing to buy a phone because the company made a logical business decision that you don't agree to is some flawed logic.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
uys there's no need for bias here. I say get the LG cause the LG will likely add some stuff that Nokia wouldn't do

E.g
Microsd card
Bezeless screen
On screen buttons

Apps on a Micro SD is pretty much a bug yes for me personally. Cause your storage will eventually run out so if you get a SD card you could install apps on it and save a lot of storage :)

But this depends if LG does allow Micro SD cards :/

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
The LG is fake.

That tweet just says that the render could be fake. But it doesn't mean LG isn't releasing the phone. With MSFT making it more easier for OEM's to jump on to WP, I don't see why LG wouldn't release a phone like the Uni8.

SgtBigRig

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site

thats just foolish. New OEM= competition. if you want to pay $500 for subpar lumias, go for it. But keep in mind competition is what lowers prices. Lumias are not the end all be all of windows phones, and if they ever do become that. Then that will be the death of windows phone

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Basically, LG = Philips. Now, Philips make serviceable and sometimes rather good hardware, but their software/firmware is often poor and they really don't like to correct problems, preferring the 'sell them the next version' approach to bugs. Certainly this is the case with their TV equipment. I have no reason to think they would have a different, special policy for phones.

Luckily MS do the OS, but don't expect Philips/LG to update the firmware after release unless it is completely unavoidable due to a very major bug that makes the phone unusable. Anything else you'll have to put up with. If the firmware is good from the off then you're golden. If not, you can give up 'cause no help will be coming. Test one first, hopefully mess with a friends, before paying. Get agreement from the seller that you can return it in the first month if it doesn't suit your needs. If you can't be sure, buy a Lumia instead.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
As a Nokia fan & loyalist, I'm twisted. I love Nokia's Lumia line (have the Lumia 1520, gave my wife my 920) & all the innovation of Nokia - for lack of a better term their overlays (Lumia Cyan to go w WinPhone 8.1)

The HTC Uni8 to quote a previous poster is sick. Beautiful phone based on a highly rated device (the HTC One M7 & subsequentally the M8), the only shortfall I foresee is the camera technology. Lumias are known for their cameras - both hardware & software. The response to HTC's ultrapixels was somehat underwhelming & the resulting phone is currently vaporware - hard to determine the execution of the idea.

If camera & Nokia is important, I really like my Lumia 1520 phablet (but for some, it's a tad too big) or you could get the Lumia Icon (Verizon) / Lumia 930 (unlocked / unbranded Icon). The proposed HTC Uni8 would be between the two referenced Lumias as far as size, but you may sacrifice that camera goodness (if it ever actually comes to market).

Another major player in the WinPhone market will definitely speed innovation & ultimate parity w Android & iOS (even though WinPhone 8.1 gets a lot closer).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo