What's coming for ATT soon?

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I've given up on WP because MSFT doesn't seem interested in producing high end phones. They seem to be trying to make the world a better place with low and mid range phones for emerging markets. I sold my 1520 and bought a Sony Z Ultra to hold me over until the Nexus 6 is readily available. From what I can tell Android 5.0 is going to be the most polished, complete phone OS ever, period. That includes the latest iOS. Google, Motorola, Samsung, LG and HTC are killing it compared to Microsoft and Nokia. It's just not even close. Life is too short to sit around waiting on Microsoft the get their arse in gear.

I have had similar thoughts along the way. In fact, I got an iPhone 6 to give it a try and am in the process of switching back to WP now, having just purchased a 1520.3 today. I found myself really missing the operating system almost immediately and the improvement in app availability, which is indeed significant, was not enough to offset that for me. With the coming OS for MS, I think we will see an explosion of apps for Windows (developers will have a strong incentive when you consider the number of PC users). I am also frustrated by the lack of a new Lumia high end phone, but I think MS is smart at some level in focusing on lower end phones as well. That is the mode that android has used, and they have captured a very large % of market share by doing so. People like us, who are on these forums, want the flagship phone. The average person probably doesn't care so much.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I have had similar thoughts along the way. In fact, I got an iPhone 6 to give it a try and am in the process of switching back to WP now, having just purchased a 1520.3 today. I found myself really missing the operating system almost immediately and the improvement in app availability, which is indeed significant, was not enough to offset that for me. With the coming OS for MS, I think we will see an explosion of apps for Windows (developers will have a strong incentive when you consider the number of PC users). I am also frustrated by the lack of a new Lumia high end phone, but I think MS is smart at some level in focusing on lower end phones as well. That is the mode that android has used, and they have captured a very large % of market share by doing so. People like us, who are on these forums, want the flagship phone. The average person probably doesn't care so much.
The difference is that Android has had a steady stream of hero phones by multiple manufacturers. Your choices are plenty.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
The difference is that Android has had a steady stream of hero phones by multiple manufacturers. Your choices are plenty.

Very true. I was with them prior to moving to WP and did not particularly enjoy the experience. Having said all of that, you are totally correct that Android having those flagship phones offsets the flood of lower level phones that they use to pump up their numbers.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Very true. I was with them prior to moving to WP and did not particularly enjoy the experience. Having said all of that, you are totally correct that Android having those flagship phones offsets the flood of lower level phones that they use to pump up their numbers.
Yep, right now you have the HTC M8, Samsung S5 and Note 4, LG G3, Motorola Nexus 6 and Sony just announces the Z3 LTE for GSM carriers. If you want an Android superphone it's just a matter of picking one.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
We are in agreement. If MS had not allowed the ridiculous exclusivity deal for the Icon, we would now be looking at both that and the M8, which wouldn't be so bad. Considering the transition that they are currently going through with acquiring Nokia, the exclusivity is doubly bad in that they don't seem to have anything in the pipeline other than lower end and mid range stuff.

lewiedude

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
OK. Well, I have been spending some time on the ATT website looking at android phones. As I type this on my SP3, no less!!!

I am looking at the Note 4. That thing has a ton of features! I just can't pull the trigger, nor am I able to buy the 1520. How old is it at this point? How long am I going to have to wait for the successor to it to come out?? It's killing me and I can't leave WP, I just can't. Although, I did spend some time looking at the googleplay store to see which app MSFT has there...all the ones I need except for Office Lens....ugh, this is killing me.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
OK. Well, I have been spending some time on the ATT website looking at android phones. As I type this on my SP3, no less!!!

I am looking at the Note 4. That thing has a ton of features! I just can't pull the trigger, nor am I able to buy the 1520. How old is it at this point? How long am I going to have to wait for the successor to it to come out?? It's killing me and I can't leave WP, I just can't. Although, I did spend some time looking at the googleplay store to see which app MSFT has there...all the ones I need except for Office Lens....ugh, this is killing me.

I just broke down and ordered a 1520.3 (I refused to have one without Qi). I have found nothing which suggests that MS has a successor to the 1520 in the works anytime soon. There were rumors of a 1525 a while back, but that seems to have gone nowhere at all.

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
My contract is up in 2 days and I myself also just purchased a used 1520 to hold me over.

Dont think I'll miss wireless charging too much but no glance is gonna suck.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Android 5.0 is gonna blow WP 8.1 away!! And you have a wide choice of devices. I can't think of a valid reason to suffer for the sake of WP.

lewiedude

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
From what I have seen in the past few days, there is an MSFT announcement tomorrow, 11.11, which is to include the first MSFT branded phone....looks like a surface box. We can only hope that it is a high end phone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte