What are we thinking this beast will be sporting in terms of wireless charging? It's supposedly being released in the US on AT&T, T-Mobile, & Verizon.

AT&T seems to be leaning towards PMA while Verizon leans towards QI and T-Mobile seems indifferent.

Could the McLaren possibly feature both? Microsoft is a member of both PMA and QI council's and it'd be hard to picture them moving away from wireless charging on their first high end WP8 device. Especially as it's speculated that the iPhone 6 will have wireless charging of some kind.
    06-13-2014 02:40 PM
    Microsoft is a member of both PMA and QI council's and it'd be hard to picture them moving away from wireless charging on their first high end WP8 device.
    Wouldn't the McLaren be the second high-end Windows Phone because of the 1520?

Anyways, if the McLaren is supposed to/rumored to be this high-end awesome device, I think it'd make sense for it to use both standards. However, I think it's also possible that there could be variants based on the carrier.
    06-13-2014 02:46 PM
    Wouldn't the McLaren be the second high-end Windows Phone because of the 1520?

Anyways, if the McLaren is supposed to/rumored to be this high-end awesome device, I think it'd make sense for it to use both standards. However, I think it's also possible that there could be variants based on the carrier.
    It's Microsoft's first wp8 as an OEM. the 930/Icon & 1520 are technically designed by Nokia as an OEM pre-Microsoft acquisition.

I'm not even sure it's possible to have both pma and qi in the same device.
    sd173 likes this.
    06-14-2014 09:14 AM
    It's Microsoft's first wp8 as an OEM. the 930/Icon & 1520 are technically designed by Nokia as an OEM pre-Microsoft acquisition.

I'm not even sure it's possible to have both pma and qi in the same device.
    A new Broadcom chip actually lets a device be compatible with any wireless charging standard.

Broadcom's new chip lets your phone use any wireless charging standard

That being said, I'm not sure they'll spend the money on the chip for the McLaren, or if Broadcom will even have released the chip at the point of launch for the McLaren. The most commonly used standard is the Qi wireless charging, and it'll likely be in the global version of the McLaren. Whether AT&T (being on the Power Matters Alliance board of directors) manage to convince Microsoft to make a device specifically for them is yet to be seen. I for one hope they fail just to see the PMA dwindle and disappear. They forced themselves forward when Qi was already a good and established standard.

The Alliance For Wireless Power on the other hand has the next-generation wireless charging, so at some point we may see WPC's Qi be replaced by the A4WP's Rezence wireless charging standard. Again, probably not in time for the McLaren, though.

Wireless charging takes big step forward as rival groups team up - CNET

"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from."
    -Andrew S. Tanenbaum
    sd173 and Indistinguishable like this.
    06-14-2014 01:50 PM