What will Microsoft do about the new Amazon phone?

MattW19

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I like this idea in theory. It does have some drawbacks. I don't know what apps are in Nokia X Store, but say for example a Nokia X user uses Whatsapp, Skype, or Facebook. They switch to WP, and they still have the app, but it's not nearly as good as the Android version they had. Or in the case of Facebook, it's not 1st party. What happens then?
The problem that I think Amazon effectively solved is people's existing investment in paid apps - not free apps or the quality of apps (would be interesting to know how well up to date the Amazon App Store apps are compared to their Play Store counterparts). The biggest barrier to shifting platforms for many would have to be not wanting to lose apps that they have paid for - particularly games. If Amazon were able to use their very aggressive discounting and promotion of their App Store to get regular Android users to build up enough of their app purchases inside that ecosystem, then they've removed a barrier to people switching.

The longer someone stays in an ecosystem, the harder it is to get out of there. Amazon provided an escape route - keep your current phone, but build up a stockpile of your apps and games, then make the jump later. Microsoft could do the same - they have good services for Android that they could make exclusive to their own app store to give people that reason to first install it and build from there.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I dont think microsoft will come up with such detailed plan to lure customers to wp. Hell they cant even bother to update their own Skype here before making the ios version outstanding...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I will take the minority position.... which I seem to do a ton. Why not?

This is not about this Amazon Fire phone- it is about the services Amazon wants to provide. A dozen other posters have pointed that out. But they do already have an "in"- this is the next chapter. If they can get a small % of their Kindle users which is a very impressive number and has been consistently growing since it's release to give this phone a try, then Amazon has knocked it out of the park. Amazon is not Microsoft, but they are the most similar from other tablet/mobile providers in that they have enough money rolling in from other sources they can eat losses on one or two product launches until they get it right. Let's not forget recent history: Amazon sold the Kindle Fire at the cost of it's production and took losses on it. Boy, has that gamble paid off.

I think MS needs to get more aggressive this year. It has been a year of transition, and I am very worried that they are playing with fire by releasing so few devices that what nice uptick in sales, services, updates and respect for WP might be lost by the time Apple dominates the world with their pending iPhone annnouncments and the wave after wave of headline stealing Android flagships. (Pun intended earilier, by the way.)

Should MS react to the Fire Phone? Heck yes they should. The Amazon offering is different enough to get headlines and become the new "darling" of the media. I do not see this as a threat so much as a bug that just needs swatted away.

Problem is, this bug HAS a really large stinger. It can be more dangerous then it first appears as it does that first buzz past your face. In 2 more years, that bug could become a swarm if it is allowed, and WP cannot afford to lose any sales to any other device. WP is GETTING stronger, but let us not confuse that with BEING strong.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The OP didn't say he was worried about the phone technology or competition with WP. He said he was worried that Amazon might be planning to make their services and media content more closed, in an attempt to bring people to their devices.

I have the same concern because I buy much of my digital content from Amazon. I prefer Amazon because it is neutral and "cross platform". I don't think Amazon's phone is going to change this for the same reason's that Laura described, but I can related to the OPs concern.

If the Amazon phone is going to do anything, my guess is it's biggest impact will be to dilute the Android market further. In other words, it will be another Android device, but it will have absolutely nothing in common with Google services based Android phones or any of the other Android phones out there.

I pretty much use Amazon for almost all purchases, other than groceries/staples. I've purchased everything from mp3s, ebooks, cookware, small appliances and computers from Amazon.

If I buy music, rather than stream it, I use Amazon, not iTunes or Xbox Music. Why? Because I tried iTunes back in 2006 and hated it. Amazon was a great alternative to iTunes. I've been using Amazon for my music since 2007, so I never saw a reason to use any other site for music purchases.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Nothing. The Amazon phone will fail and they will be glad that they still support the other platforms to sell their services.

Should MS react to the Fire Phone? Heck yes they should. The Amazon offering is different enough to get headlines and become the new "darling" of the media. I do not see this as a threat so much as a bug that just needs swatted away.

Problem is, this bug HAS a really large stinger. It can be more dangerous then it first appears as it does that first buzz past your face. In 2 more years, that bug could become a swarm if it is allowed, and WP cannot afford to lose any sales to any other device. WP is GETTING stronger, but let us not confuse that with BEING strong.

I agree, however I don't think they have to react to the Fire phone. They just have to react to something, they just have to react.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I will take the minority position.... which I seem to do a ton. Why not?

This is not about this Amazon Fire phone- it is about the services Amazon wants to provide. A dozen other posters have pointed that out. But they do already have an "in"- this is the next chapter. If they can get a small % of their Kindle users which is a very impressive number and has been consistently growing since it's release to give this phone a try, then Amazon has knocked it out of the park. Amazon is not Microsoft, but they are the most similar from other tablet/mobile providers in that they have enough money rolling in from other sources they can eat losses on one or two product launches until they get it right. Let's not forget recent history: Amazon sold the Kindle Fire at the cost of it's production and took losses on it. Boy, has that gamble paid off.

I think MS needs to get more aggressive this year. It has been a year of transition, and I am very worried that they are playing with fire by releasing so few devices that what nice uptick in sales, services, updates and respect for WP might be lost by the time Apple dominates the world with their pending iPhone annnouncments and the wave after wave of headline stealing Android flagships. (Pun intended earilier, by the way.)

I don't disagree with you in regards to the tablets, but that's mostly due to the fact they're charging a lot less for their tablets than say an iPad. I wouldn't buy a Kindle Fire tablet over a Nexus tablet. Thing is, most people buy the Kindle for the Amazon services but keep in mind that's a tablet. A phone on the other hand is a different beast and they're not cheaper than the competition. They're the same price. I think in this instance they won't get the same market or enough of one. A low cost tablet with good specs and forked Android is one thing. A phone with forked Android and costing the same as an iPhone or SG5 is another. I wish them luck but I don't see it succeeding.

As for your comments about MS, you are 100% correct. They need to get their ecosystem sorted as quickly as possible. The OS and the phones are OK but they need a fantastic flagship. Something that people go, 'that's nice'. They need to get the main stream apps, regardless of how we think of them it is still the one thing that is continuously pointed out about WP. Fix that and at least we're on a level playing field.

Last edited:

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Actually 8.1 on paper seems a great update. File explorer,quick access via action centre,wallpapers,app to SD card,the mission of microsoft to combine best of ios and android is going in right direction.
They just need to focus more and speed up their actions,bringing phone to market as soon as possible after the announcement instead of letting the hype die.concentrate more on wp, fixing the problems like Skype instead of going and updating ios first which sends a totally wrong message.
And dont wait one and half years for next major os update!!!

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
It depends on how well they implemented their core features, and their marketing strategy. Two things that Microsoft continues to fail at.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The only thing about the Amazon phone that perked my ears was the unlimited photo storage via the cloud. And you bet Amazon is going data mine all these photos in the same way people feared about the Xbox Kinect data mining background information. Amazon, next to Google, is the worst about data mining for the benefit of their business.

Other than that, it's an overpriced, unattractive, AT&T exclusive (ask MS how well that is working out for them) with features that are uninteresting. The Firefly feature reminds me of Bing Vision and Google Goggles. *yawn*

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Actually, try as I might I cannot come up with rebuttals to any of these points. To us, it is more about MS getting into gear and not losing momentum then anything Amazon does with the Fire phone.

I am gonna go play with it though.

Dang. I really wanted to start a flame war.

KIDDING, FELLOW MODERATORS!!! ONLY KIDDING!!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Laura, how does the Amazon music service work? Is it expensive? Can you have it on more then one device?

A sucker is curious now...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually, try as I night I cannot come up with rebuttals to any of these points. To us, it is more about MS getting into gear and not losing momentum then anything Amazon does with the Fire phone.

I am gonna go play with it though.

Dang. I really wanted to start a flame war.

KIDDING, FELLOW MODERATORS!!! ONLY KIDDING!!

No you weren't.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The HTC First did come to mind when I first saw this phone. In the end, I don't think the Fire dies a quick death like the First, but I don't think it will be a runaway success either.

I agree that the feature set on this phone is middling at best. The firefly features look pretty useful, but the much-hyped 3D looks like an absolute joke and the way it is implemented (the 4 cameras/sensors) looks wonky and unreliable.

I do think this will delay the release of any other amazon apps (read: Instant Video) on WP anytime soon. However, I just don't see consumers flocking to this device. It will become obvious that "features" are not what Amazon cares about. It is only about getting more people to buy from Amazon. That's it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The HTC First did come to mind when I first saw this phone. In the end, I don't think the Fire dies a quick death like the First, but I don't think it will be a runaway success either.

IIRC the HTC First was basically a regular Android phone with a Facebook launcher. You could replace the launcher with a different one. It was a bad design from the start.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
The Amazon Phone is going to get me in trouble. I can see someone nodding their head and tilting their head in my direction. I get up and confront/approach them because I think they are making passes at me, and low and behold they are trying to interact with the Amazon Gimmick Fire.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750