Lumia 1030: what to expect?

flattie

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Completely subjective, but the only thing worse than an all aluminium chassis (for me), would be glossy plastic. I think MSM have hit a nice balance with the metal band which frames the colourful matt polycarbonate back plate.

That aside, if we're listing what we expect to see, then here's my tuppence:

1. A quad-core Snapdragon processor - likely 801 if the phone does indeed land this year. I'm not expecting anything 64-bit related until Threshold hits. That should be more than powerful enough to drive WP8.1 and will (obviously) be able to take advantage of the giant camera speed improvements coming as part of the Denim update.

2. A 5" full HD display. I suspect we'll see the same panel that was used in the Lumia 930, so AMOLED. I'm fine with that, as I think the strengths of that technology suit the black backgrounds, bold colours and large fonts of the WP UI.

3. A design that follows the language used by the 930 and 830 phones. It seems to be the style MSM want to associate to their high-end (and high-end like ;) ) devices. Maybe something with the shape, style and size of the 930, but sporting a characteristic black camera module circle, more akin to the 1020 version than the 830 one.

4. I'd expect the camera module to be a refined version of the 1020 Pureview module. Slimmer OIS as used in the 830 and other minor changes, but nothing that will make it a step change.

5. Qi charging to be integrated this time. Nokia dropped the ball by letting wireless charging become an add-on feature after the initial push with the 920. Luckily, it seems they are turning that around, which bodes well for future high end devices.

6. Better battery life. The combination of SD801 and a larger battery should ensure this (and that's despite the larger screen, too).

7. Accessories: one of my favourite aspects of owning a Nokia (MSM) device is that they are always very well supported with accessories and that seems to be continuing under MS ownership. Of course, the key accessory here would be a new camera grip to serve the same function as the current one: battery boost, handling and tripod mounting.

I think that is a reasonable list of predictions for a 1030 successor and it would certainly be enough for me to trade in my 930. Now to continue the perpetual waiting game that we all love to play so much! :)

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I fear Flattie's predictions are correct, but I hope we'll be seeing a lot more than that.

Screen
Predict: 5.2" 1080p AMOLED.
Hope: 5.2" 1440p AMOLED w/ Glance.

Processor
Predict: Qualcomm Snapdragon 801.
Hope: Qualcomm Snapdragon 805.

Camera
Predict: Slightly thinner 41 MP Legacy camera module.
Hope: High-resolution computational 16-lens array camera @ 20-40 MP.

Design
Predict: Continuation of the Icon/930/830 design language
Hope: Fabula, 925/1520 or a brand new design language.

Nokia has made itself known to fall behind the leaders in terms of updated hardware, so I guess the one-year old Snapdragon 801 is more likely. But there has been too many rumours of the 5.2" display (supposedly the McLaren) being posted around to make me guess they'd go with another 5" screen. The design language, I silently cry saying, will probably still be the (subjectively here, your mileage may vary) dreary industrial design with sharp edges rather than something elegant.

As for the camera... Well, we have been hearing a lot of chatter about computational imaging coming out of Nokia in a not too distant future.
Back in March, Daniel Rubino had sources saying Nokia was working on a multi-lens smartphone aimed at Q4 2014-Q1 2015. The executives at Microsoft Mobile claims their flagship engineering efforts is timing the release of Threshold. Jo Harlow says work is continuing on computational photography to give us the next great thing in mobile imaging. All while Pelican Imaging CEO Chris Pickett said in january 2014 that they expected to have their array camera in a device aimed at Q1-Q2 2015.

TKTechNews on the other hand mentions Microsoft is now working hard to manage to release their 1020 successor flagship before the holiday season, stating it will include a thinner 41 MP camera module. So far they don't have any details on if it's a legacy module or computational module.

So it's not impossible Microsoft kicked in a higher gear in order not to miss the all-important holiday season, getting Threshold and a new flagship out in time for it.

Last edited:

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 1030 rumours

I spoke to two Microsoft employees and asked about a follow-up model to the record-breaking Lumia 1020 supercamera phone. They of course couldn?t tell me about unannounced products but went on to hint that I should wait 2 weeks and see what happens; and that ?I would definitely buy it? without saying anything about the ?it??

This was today at ifa

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Completely subjective, but the only thing worse than an all aluminium chassis (for me), would be glossy plastic. I think MSM have hit a nice balance with the metal band which frames the colourful matt polycarbonate back plate.

That aside, if we're listing what we expect to see, then here's my tuppence:

1. A quad-core Snapdragon processor - likely 801 if the phone does indeed land this year. I'm not expecting anything 64-bit related until Threshold hits. That should be more than powerful enough to drive WP8.1 and will (obviously) be able to take advantage of the giant camera speed improvements coming as part of the Denim update.

2. A 5" full HD display. I suspect we'll see the same panel that was used in the Lumia 930, so AMOLED. I'm fine with that, as I think the strengths of that technology suit the black backgrounds, bold colours and large fonts of the WP UI.

3. A design that follows the language used by the 930 and 830 phones. It seems to be the style MSM want to associate to their high-end (and high-end like ;) ) devices. Maybe something with the shape, style and size of the 930, but sporting a characteristic black camera module circle, more akin to the 1020 version than the 830 one.

4. I'd expect the camera module to be a refined version of the 1020 Pureview module. Slimmer OIS as used in the 830 and other minor changes, but nothing that will make it a step change.

5. Qi charging to be integrated this time. Nokia dropped the ball by letting wireless charging become an add-on feature after the initial push with the 920. Luckily, it seems they are turning that around, which bodes well for future high end devices.

6. Better battery life. The combination of SD801 and a larger battery should ensure this (and that's despite the larger screen, too).

7. Accessories: one of my favourite aspects of owning a Nokia (MSM) device is that they are always very well supported with accessories and that seems to be continuing under MS ownership. Of course, the key accessory here would be a new camera grip to serve the same function as the current one: battery boost, handling and tripod mounting.

I think that is a reasonable list of predictions for a 1030 successor and it would certainly be enough for me to trade in my 930. Now to continue the perpetual waiting game that we all love to play so much! :)

Why are you against aluminium chassis? It gives preimum look and feel. Look iPhone and high end HTC devices, all are made up of aluminium to give premium feel. If you take a look at 920, its all plastic, although it doesn't look as bad as samsung's cheap plastic, but overall looks mediocre.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Why would they not want to make people buy accessories all over again? Maybe they see apple is making huge amounts of money doing just that? Just a thought...

that's logical, but Apple is selling well while the 1020 wasn't...
there could be a lot of Camera Grips out there waiting for buyers and if the 1020 becomes obsolete, it'll be a loss for MS Mobile...

minor, perhaps... but still loss

ricardowieira

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
well, i'm waiting for the 1020 successor, to replace my 920.

cpu: qualcomm snapdragon 805
ram: 3gb
screen: 5.2" 1080p amoled puremotion hd+
storage: 16gb/32gb (with storage expansion)
battery: 3200+ mah
rear-camera: 41 mp pureview (4k - 30fps, 1080p - 120fps)
front-camera: 2.1 mp (1080p - 30fps)

this is what i expect! let's see! :)

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I always wanted my 1020 to have the same IPS LCD screen as my 920 and 1520. Sure, more colors with AMOLED, but on my 1020, I could always tell the difference in speed when scrolling paragraphs of text. There's always a little bit of lag (blurring or ghosting) with the AMOLED screen. The LCD screens always seems more crisp and with a faster response time.

With that, I wont let an AMOLED screen deter me from buying a 1020 successor no matter which screen they use! As long as it has the 41MP or better PureView tech, and all the other expected upgraded specs, consider it sold!

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I fear Flattie's predictions are correct, but I hope we'll be seeing a lot more than that.

Screen
Predict: 5.2" 1080p AMOLED.
Hope: 5.2" 1440p AMOLED w/ Glance.

Processor
Predict: Qualcomm Snapdragon 801.
Hope: Qualcomm Snapdragon 805.

Camera
Predict: Slightly thinner 41 MP Legacy camera module.
Hope: High-resolution computational 16-lens array camera @ 20-40 MP.

Design
Predict: Continuation of the Icon/930/830 design language
Hope: Fabula, 925/1520 or a brand new design language.

Nokia has made itself known to fall behind the leaders in terms of updated hardware, so I guess the one-year old Snapdragon 801 is more likely. But there has been too many rumours of the 5.2" display (supposedly the McLaren) being posted around to make me guess they'd go with another 5" screen. The design language, I silently cry saying, will probably still be the (subjectively here, your mileage may vary) dreary industrial design with sharp edges rather than something elegant.

As for the camera... Well, we have been hearing a lot of chatter about computational imaging coming out of Nokia in a not too distant future.
Back in March, Daniel Rubino had sources saying Nokia was working on a multi-lens smartphone aimed at Q4 2014-Q1 2015. The executives at Microsoft Mobile claims their flagship engineering efforts is timing the release of Threshold. Jo Harlow says work is continuing on computational photography to give us the next great thing in mobile imaging. All while Pelican Imaging CEO Chris Pickett said in january 2014 that they expected to have their array camera in a device aimed at Q1-Q2 2015.

TKTechNews on the other hand mentions Microsoft is now working hard to manage to release their 1020 successor flagship before the holiday season, stating it will include a thinner 41 MP camera module. So far they don't have any details on if it's a legacy module or computational module.

So it's not impossible Microsoft kicked in a higher gear in order not to miss the all-important holiday season, getting Threshold and a new flagship out in time for it.

on one hand, computational photography is appealing
but on the other hand, if Microsoft doesn't continue the 41 MP on the Lumia 10xx, they have to try harder to convince people that it's a better camera albeit lesser megapixels without bashing their own products

as for the processor, I don't think Microsoft will sacrifice that part again
I think it's better for them to use Snapdragon 805 instead of modified Snapdragon 800/801
the possibility is quite high on this one as they realize that the differences between 801 to 805 is quite enormous if compared to the differences between 800 and 801

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
The expected 1030 specs
5" IPS LCD 1080p display with gorilla glass 3
Snapdragon 801 quad core processor
41 mp purview with xenon flash, 2mp front facing camera(it could be even 5mp)
16gb inbuilt memory, expandable upto 128gb
3400mAh battery
2 Gb RAM

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
if McLaren is going to be a true successor of the 1020, I really think it should have a 41 megapixel camera...

reason? to keep the heritage of 10xx series :3

Forget heritage. Sticking with 41Mp would be a mistake. Regular consumers (Who will determine the success of WP) don't understand heritage only numbers. They will see that 55Mp is better than 41Mp. So since the SD 810 can handle up to 55Mp then MS should aim for that.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
These Specs are far better.

5-inch with glane screen support Sapphire Crystal Glass (Cause its stronger), 3GB Ram, 32GB Storage, MSD slot up to 128GB, Snapdragon 810 (Octo core ) 55Mp main camera, 5Mp front camera, Virtual keys with gradient background like the Moto X, hardware camera button, NFC, Laser Focus (Or Super fast focusing), Super small bezel, Interchangeable battery, wireless charging built in, released on all carriers!

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

5-inch with glane screen support Sapphire Crystal Glass (Cause its stronger), 3GB Ram, 32GB Storage, MSD slot up to 128GB, Snapdragon 810 (Octo core ) 55Mp main camera, 5Mp front camera, Virtual keys with gradient background like the Moto X, hardware camera button, NFC, Laser Focus (Or Super fast focusing), Super small bezel, Interchangeable battery, wireless charging built in, released on all carriers!

For the specs you have mentioned, 1030 would be twice the price of iPhone 6. Your specs are good, but not practical. MS won't even dream of giving such specs, no one would

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
on one hand, computational photography is appealing
but on the other hand, if Microsoft doesn't continue the 41 MP on the Lumia 10xx, they have to try harder to convince people that it's a better camera albeit lesser megapixels without bashing their own products

as for the processor, I don't think Microsoft will sacrifice that part again
I think it's better for them to use Snapdragon 805 instead of modified Snapdragon 800/801
the possibility is quite high on this one as they realize that the differences between 801 to 805 is quite enormous if compared to the differences between 800 and 801

Releasing an imaging flagship with a technology so revolutionary as to have 16 cameras and 3D imaging would generate a lot more buzz than to just release a third iteration of a 41 MP module. The megapixel count was jaw-dropping when we first heard of it in 2012. It was interesting the second time we heard it in 2013. It's unlikely it will generate anywhere near as much hype a third time unless there's something more revolutionary about it.

Microsoft could likely skimp on the SoC, but if they do I hope they choose to include a dedicated imaging chip this time around.

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Back before the McLaren got axed some reports suggested it was the 1030 and others that said the 1030 was a separate device. I've had a theory that the discrepancy is because they were in essence developing two different versions concurrently, one with the 3D touch stuff and one without, with the intention that the McLaren would be released if the new tech was ready, and if not they'd just release a more straight-up 1020 successor while continuing to work on the 3D touch for the future. What sort of led me to this theory was how Goldfinger was originally slated as the 8.1 flagship but then got shelved in favor of the 930. To me it seems they got caught off-guard and repurposed the custom-built-for-Verizon Icon at the last minute and so decided to have a real plan B in case the same thing happened with McLaren, which it did.
Based on that, I'd probably guess that the specs that leaked about McLaren are pretty much what we'll get minus the 3D touch. If I remember, that was SD805, 5.2 inch QHD screen, and updated 1020 camera. Design language consistent with the 830/930 is pretty much a given, and the 830 makes me think they're planning on the black circle camera casing to be the new distinguishing feature for pureview devices. That leaves us with something that pretty much looks like a [just slightly bigger] Icon/930 with a 1020 camera hump, and that's just fine with me. All they have to do is actually release it on Verizon (and not let them jerk us all around with updates)

Branden Lucero

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
i really dont care if it contains another 41mp camera, that's not really something that should be pushed every time. there are many components needed to taking a great picture than just having a big sensor. image stabilization is an obvious staple, custom settings like ISO, brightness, etc is another staple. but what the 1020 lacked, that the 2520 could do, is focus while recording, which is GREATLY ideal when it comes to using DSLRs. i just find it odd that the 2520 could do it, but not a phone, especially since they're both technically using the same software for camera use.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
For the specs you have mentioned, 1030 would be twice the price of iPhone 6. Your specs are good, but not practical. MS won't even dream of giving such specs, no one would

How is that so? The only new part on this is the Processor and the sapphire glass which turns out iPhone 6 doesn't seem to have unless i missed it. Everything else is on cheaper more affordable phones.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

wake up, dude
5 - perma facepalm.jpg

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Releasing an imaging flagship with a technology so revolutionary as to have 16 cameras and 3D imaging would generate a lot more buzz than to just release a third iteration of a 41 MP module. The megapixel count was jaw-dropping when we first heard of it in 2012. It was interesting the second time we heard it in 2013. It's unlikely it will generate anywhere near as much hype a third time unless there's something more revolutionary about it.

I hope this entertains you
they have implemented it in 2009 with the Nokia N86, so to have that in the 1030 (with a lot of improvement, of course) is highly possible

P.S. after looking at "Legal Events" part of the patent, apparently some patents that belonged to Nokia Devices and Services now belongs to Microsoft as part of the deal... so for those who believes that the PureView will be gone from future Microsoft Mobile devices, you can put that to rest :)

Microsoft could likely skimp on the SoC, but if they do I hope they choose to include a dedicated imaging chip this time around.

do you really think it's cheaper if they're going to use Snapdragon 801+additional chip instead of Snapdragon 805?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo