Lumia 1030: what to expect?

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Back before the McLaren got axed some reports suggested it was the 1030 and others that said the 1030 was a separate device. I've had a theory that the discrepancy is because they were in essence developing two different versions concurrently, one with the 3D touch stuff and one without, with the intention that the McLaren would be released if the new tech was ready, and if not they'd just release a more straight-up 1020 successor while continuing to work on the 3D touch for the future. What sort of led me to this theory was how Goldfinger was originally slated as the 8.1 flagship but then got shelved in favor of the 930. To me it seems they got caught off-guard and repurposed the custom-built-for-Verizon Icon at the last minute and so decided to have a real plan B in case the same thing happened with McLaren, which it did.
Based on that, I'd probably guess that the specs that leaked about McLaren are pretty much what we'll get minus the 3D touch. If I remember, that was SD805, 5.2 inch QHD screen, and updated 1020 camera. Design language consistent with the 830/930 is pretty much a given, and the 830 makes me think they're planning on the black circle camera casing to be the new distinguishing feature for pureview devices. That leaves us with something that pretty much looks like a [just slightly bigger] Icon/930 with a 1020 camera hump, and that's just fine with me. All they have to do is actually release it on Verizon (and not let them jerk us all around with updates)

I like this thinking man, I've wondered about this similarly too and I actually think your augment here is absolutely plausible. The canning of McLaren's 3D touch was interesting as clearly they saw how underwhelmed the public reception of the Samsung effort was and couldn't afford MORE bad PR, and as exited as I was about it on WP I now understand the gimmick-and how that could be perceived particularly on a true MS flagship... Also, I think like you there is indeed some validity to the design choice of the 830's cam housing in relation to what we will see on the 1030. To me, they seemed to verbally emphasise the 'Pureview' branding more heavily on the 830 compared to the 930 during the launch and it seems anecdotally ALOT of people are crying out for that design with better specs..aka the 1030. I think its definitely about associating that 'look' with their best imaging capabilities. Here's hoping.

I was intrigued earlier by a comment above that claimed MS employees at IFA were hinting at news in the next two weeks.. That would coincide with the supposed event Sept30th showcasing Threshold right? and I wouldn't be surprised if buried in there was something about next gen flagships. I'm not expecting a reveal of course, but this plus the alleged 'paid leak' citing MS working to get its next flagship out before the holiday season is very interesting.. I'm due an upgrade next month but I'm going to hold out until 2015 personally. My 920 is still going strong.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Well if you'd read the article I posted. You'd realize your just digging your hole deeper. But continue by all means.

Stop this bickering, its embarrassing. You have a right to reply but its going round in circles. Can we get back on topic please?
I happen to think Donny's point about the 55mpx and the accompanying most appropriate chip is valid. Anything less than 41mpx to the average consumer (accepting this is a niche device with a smaller reach) will be seen as a step back unless they can re-write the rules again, just as they did with the 1020.. personally, I think they will pull it off.
However, the arms race of megapixels introduces some further familiar challenges. The mainstream press seemed only to focus (pun intended) the validity of the massive numbers when the 1020 launched -the same old story again and again- but I am hopeful that MS will have learned from this perception issue and have at the very least, have a better way of explaining things to ''normals'' and press alike.. The question of how they improve on the 41mpx unit, without undermining their ground breaking tech in any way will be interesting to watch. That camera unit, needs to be nothing less than perfect in this flagship. I know it is 'my next' regardless.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Its a fail to small minded people yes.

there is a fine line between optimized and optimal, and between optimal and overkill
there is also a fine line between logical prediction and mere dreams

I don't expect you to understand that though... that'd be too much for you

Stop this bickering, its embarrassing. You have a right to reply but its going round in circles. Can we get back on topic please?
I happen to think Donny's point about the 55mpx and the accompanying most appropriate chip is valid. Anything less than 41mpx to the average consumer (accepting this is a niche device with a smaller reach) will be seen as a step back unless they can re-write the rules again, just as they did with the 1020.. personally, I think they will pull it off.
However, the arms race of megapixels introduces some further familiar challenges. The mainstream press seemed only to focus (pun intended) the validity of the massive numbers when the 1020 launched -the same old story again and again- but I am hopeful that MS will have learned from this perception issue and have at the very least, have a better way of explaining things to ''normals'' and press alike.. The question of how they improve on the 41mpx unit, without undermining their ground breaking tech in any way will be interesting to watch. That camera unit, needs to be nothing less than perfect in this flagship. I know it is 'my next' regardless.

14 MP addition to a 41 MP sensor is quite little -not even 50%-, so why bother?
anyway, Microsoft/Nokia still leads this megapixel race and I'm sure they're not going to extend it in near future
and imo, the number "41" is quite synonymous to Nokia at this moment, so...

there's always another way to improve the camera without adding the megapixel count
the sensor, OIS, aperture, and of course the chip is more important than that...
and talking about the chip, imo, using the double quad-core Snapdragon 810 (plus 3 GB of RAM) is way too much for a resource-efficient ecosystem like Windows Phone

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
there is a fine line between optimized and optimal, and between optimal and overkill

anyway, Microsoft/Nokia still leads this megapixel race and I'm sure they're not going to extend it in near future

there's always another way to improve the camera without adding the megapixel count
the sensor, OIS, aperture, and of course the chip is more important than that...
and talking about the chip, imo, using the double quad-core Snapdragon 810 (plus 3 GB of RAM) is way too much for a resource-efficient ecosystem like Windows Phone

That chip spec might be unreasonable yes, but the increase in MP is still perfectly valid I think- for perception at the very least. I'm not saying I agree with that route, but it is startlingly effective with consumers. So many comments are out there already about the iPhone 6 and its surprisingly 'modest' camera when compared to the 1520,930 and several Androids. Most consumers won't bother doing the maths: 55mp is a bigger number therefore it must be better right?
Now, you and I know bigger numbers are not really all there is to it with regards to smartphone cameras (and yes, your points about other elements in the imaging tech are more important) but in my opinion if they release anything less than 41mp in this 1030, then I'm sorry but the press will have the obituaries written about this phone before the press conference is even over.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
That chip spec might be unreasonable yes, but the increase in MP is still perfectly valid I think- for perception at the very least. I'm not saying I agree with that route, but it is startlingly effective with consumers. So many comments are out there already about the iPhone 6 and its surprisingly 'modest' camera when compared to the 1520,930 and several Androids. Most consumers won't bother doing the maths: 55mp is a bigger number therefore it must be better right?
Now, you and I know bigger numbers are not really all there is to it with regards to smartphone cameras (and yes, your points about other elements in the imaging tech are more important) but in my opinion if they release anything less than 41mp in this 1030, then I'm sorry but the press will have the obituaries written about this phone before the press conference is even over.
You have to have a good ratio of sensor size to MP. What really makes the 1020 special is the large sensor, which I think is still the biggest of any smartphone. If they can fit it in, you would likely get a better overall image quality if you put a larger sensor with the same MP.

MS just needs to continue to improve the photo quality from the 1020 and make it have flagship specs to increase photo taking speed and just be a usable phone. On my 1020, I'm already noticing stutter on some newer apps in addition to the slow camera. Plus after upgrading to 8.1, it hasn't been as buttery smooth as 8.0.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, MS should bring the massive 41MP into a compact form. Something similar to 930. We don't need anything more than 41MP, but we need a bigger sensor and fast capture to make burst mode possible

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

The whole point of the SD 810 and the 3 GB of ram was not for the WP OS, though over time it will eventually need more beefier specs to maintain its smoothness, but for the image processing, fast loading and shooting, and fast focusing etc. We have no idea what new technology will come out in the future so why build for today. No, you build for tomorrow. And again only the SD 810 support 55 MP camera by default, why would you mess around and come up with a proprietary chip again by using less capable processors. That's just gonna slow down updates by requiring more work on the MS's part. Just use a chip that perform the task out of the box. Don't reinvent the wheel.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, MS should bring the massive 41MP into a compact form. Something similar to 930. We don't need anything more than 41MP, but we need a bigger sensor and fast capture to make burst mode possible

Yeah I used to want the 41MP on a 6-inch screen like the 1520 but after buying a 1520 and using it for a while, I realize a smaller screen would be much better. You should be able to take a pic one handed with comfort.

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Similarly when the 1020 launched its specifications were already outdated, the screen was also less sharp and lower resolution compared to competitors however the camera was amazing.

The reason was WP8 didn't support 1080p display or SD800. Nothing to do with compromising. Had the pushed its release further, they could have included a 1080p display and SD800

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I think that Microsoft should not release the successor to 1020 until the next major iteration of Windows Phone (aka Windows threshold). That can give them a good time frame.

And by the way, I don't see anything wrong with the specs mentioned above. SD810 3GB RAM, 16/32 GB Memory, expandable upto 128 GB.
Don't see what's really wrong in that. Trust me, before you think, Samsung will come out with a device like that, may even include 4 GB of RAM instead.. Sure, it won't be 7 mm thin but it wouldn't be thick either. For those saying that WP doesn't need that horsepower, it doesn't need in a technical sense, but specs sell, and if WP is advertised using the cell phone, it may get more view than it does now.

Microsoft really needs a hero device to show off the capability of future version of Windows Phone. And a 1030 with the next gen latest hardware could REALLY make it happen.

PS - 41 MP is enough, including new features such as changeable aperture, etc could be useful.
PSS - For the premium feel of the premium device, capacitive keys would be much rather preferred.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
The reason was WP8 didn't support 1080p display or SD800. Nothing to do with compromising. Had the pushed its release further, they could have included a 1080p display and SD800

An excellent point. There were reports that Nokia tested a Lumia 1020 prototype with a quad core processor though, but found the battery performance to be unacceptably poor. That may well have been why they decided not to wait for the Windows Phone 8.1 update.

Perhaps we're seeing something similar now, with the current chips Windows Phone support not offering an acceptable performance for the 1020 successor, which is why they're waiting with the release until the WP8.1U2 or WP9.

I think that Microsoft should not release the successor to 1020 until the next major iteration of Windows Phone (aka Windows threshold). That can give them a good time frame.

And by the way, I don't see anything wrong with the specs mentioned above.
For those saying that WP doesn't need that horsepower, it doesn't need in a technical sense, but specs sell, and if WP is advertised using the cell phone, it may get more view than it does now.

Not only do specifications sell, but people are already complaining about Windows Phone 8.1 not running smooth on many of the older devices compared to Windows Phone 8. We can always assume future software innovations in the operating system will require more powerful and modern hardware in order to either function smoothly or function at all.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The whole point of the SD 810 and the 3 GB of ram was not for the WP OS, though over time it will eventually need more beefier specs to maintain its smoothness, but for the image processing, fast loading and shooting, and fast focusing etc. We have no idea what new technology will come out in the future so why build for today. No, you build for tomorrow. And again only the SD 810 support 55 MP camera by default, why would you mess around and come up with a proprietary chip again by using less capable processors. That's just gonna slow down updates by requiring more work on the MS's part. Just use a chip that perform the task out of the box. Don't reinvent the wheel.

for your information, Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 APQ8084 is capable of "Dual camera image signal processor supporting up to 55 Megapixel, stereoscopic 3D" (source)
3 GB of RAM is obviously a marketing stunt at best, unless they're going to implement something that kicks a** like the 3D Touch

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
For those saying that WP doesn't need that horsepower, it doesn't need in a technical sense, but specs sell, and if WP is advertised using the cell phone, it may get more view than it does now.

specs sell? no, not really...
Apple iPhone 5S uses a 1.4 GHz dual-core chip and still sells well

perhaps Microsoft should advertise Windows Phone's advantages (simplicity, stamina, etc.) instead of selling specs

Last edited:

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
specs sell? no, not really...

Yes, really.
Purchasing products involving a higher perceived investment risk to the consumer are regarded as high-involvement decisions. During a high-involvement decision, customers usually engage in what's known as either extended problem solving or limited problem solving, depending on how significant the investment is to the consumer. During extended problem solving, customers scrutinise and compare competing products to the last detail. If two phones are comparable in all areas except perhaps processor, consumers are more likely to go for the products with the latest processor. During limited problem solving, customers may usually still do some research, but may only compare the market leaders, and to a more limited extent. Limited problem solving usually fall back to familiarity and emotional perception of which product/service is better.

Specifications sell. And they can even be a deciding factor between a best-seller and a flop.

Apple iPhone 5S uses a 1.4 GHz dual-core chip and still sells well

There's a good reason Apple never lists their specifications. They're falling back on the services they offer and rely on the familiarity and perceived status their products have.

perhaps Microsoft should advertise Windows Phone's advantages (simplicity, stamina, etc.) instead of selling specs

They're in no position to base their marketing on a solid ecosystem, familiarity or status at this point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb