Lumia 1030: what to expect?

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
let's talk about the successor of the mighty 1020

if we're taking the reference of how the 1020 was similar to 920 in many aspects, we could expect that the 1030 will be similar to the 930 in most of its hardware
I also heard rumors somewhere that McLaren is the 1030
either way, the 1030 will be a badass phone for certain

as for me, I'd predict:
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 8974-AB (quad-core Krait 2.36 GHz, Adreno 330 GPU) or Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 (quad-core Krait 2.7 GHz, Adreno 420 GPU) if it's released later (slightly newer than 930)
  • 3 GB RAM (1 gig more than 930)
  • 5.2" 1080p AMOLED PureMotion HD+ 24 bit (slightly bigger than 930)
  • 3000 mAh battery (new breed of battery)
  • no built-in Qi wireless charging (one minus from 930)
  • 64 GB storage, no storage expansion (twice more than 930)
  • 41 MP PureView rear camera, ZEISS lens, 1/1.2" sensor, 26 mm focal length, Xenon flash + LED for focus-assist light, up to 4K@30 fps or 2K@60 fps video recording, and a new tech to the camera (adjustable aperture?)
  • 1.2 MP front camera, 720p@30 fps video recording (same as 930)
  • a slightly bigger camera bump

what do you think, guys?

Last edited:

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Purely speculating, I doubt the McLaren is anything like the 930 considering the background. The 930 is a Verizon exclusive gone global after a delayed Goldfinger release (the "actual" 930). Microsoft seems to have taken the Goldfinger and the 1030 and merged them into one device to win market share and customers via a so called "hero device".

So with any luck, it'll come with all the bells and whistles of the mobile tech industry, including Qi. I'm curious myself if it'll come with the same 41 MP sensor or if the former Nokia engineers have stepped up their game to bring us computational photography via dual sensors.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Purely speculating, I doubt the McLaren is anything like the 930 considering the background. The 930 is a Verizon exclusive gone global after a delayed Goldfinger release (the "actual" 930). Microsoft seems to have taken the Goldfinger and the 1030 and merged them into one device to win market share and customers via a so called "hero device".

So with any luck, it'll come with all the bells and whistles of the mobile tech industry, including Qi. I'm curious myself if it'll come with the same 41 MP sensor or if the former Nokia engineers have stepped up their game to bring us computational photography via dual sensors.

that'd be interesting, indeed

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
In the goldfinger/Mclaren thread (http://forums.windowscentral.com/upcoming-rumored-devices/261037-3.htm), someone posted a fantastic rundown of camera options.

"I posted this in the comment section of the WPC article regarding the new McLaren rumours published by Neowin. But I thought I may as well copy the comment here for further discussion.

So the McLaren is now rumoured to come with a 20 MP camera instead of a 41 MP+ camera.

Some of you may be panicking right now since the earlier rumours by Tom Warren at The Verge said "Evleaks first unveiled the existence of Nokia McLaren, and we understand the device will largely be seen as a Lumia 1020 successor with a similar hump in the rear casing for a powerful camera".

But the very same Tom Warren also subtly let us know that another 41 MP sensor was unlikely with his tweet "Imagine if the Lumia 1020 successor had less than a 41-megapixel camera :)".

In other words, it's still very likely the 1020 successor. But Nokia/Microsoft may have moved away from the philosophy of more and smaller (=noisy) pixels and instead focused on something else.

So what does an imaging flagship with fewer pixels to oversample from actually mean? Well, we can all only speculate at this point, but here's a few ideas:

1) Lumia 1020 optics with twice as large pixels on the sensor.
In the spirit of the massive pixels in the HTC One 4 MP cameras, this would ensure a greater low-light performance, greatly reduced noise and a much faster shot-to-shot time.

2) Dual 20 MP sensors
Utilizing computational photography you could get a pixel-by-pixel cross-referenced supersampled image, 3D mapping and much more. If one of the sensors have a focal zoom you can also get zoom capabilities without needing moving parts or a thick lens (on top of the computational cross-reference improvements).

3) Canon liquid lens optics
The Canon-Microsoft cross-licensing agreement could mean implementation of Canon's liquid lens technology, which in turn would give much thinner cameras or the potential to use even larger sensors at the same thickness as currently.

4) Pelican Imaging light-field camera
Perhaps Microsoft chose to finally take the step to implement the Pelican Imaging plenoptic camera in the McLaren 'hero device'. This would explain a lower resolution count while also ensuring a much higher imaging quality and additional 3D imaging functions suitable for appearance in a "3D focused" flagship.

My main point is; don't worry about the megapixel count. The imaging quality and functions of the camera could be far better than anything you could have ever have hoped for in another iteration of the 41-megapixel module found in the Lumia 1020.

It's not all about megapixels." -Beijendorf

In any case, I think it to be imperative that Microsoft blow the competition out of the water, and not just match them (sony) as on the 930.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
well, as for me, I'd like it to be another 41 MP shooter with all those tech :3

even without the 41 MP, McLaren/1030 will be a total badass, but then the price will be ridiculously astronomical

Skunkwurx

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd say it's closer than we expect... The 1020 had a custom made s4 to support the 41Mp camera... the 800 only supports up to 21Mp and the 805 and 810 support 55Mp... I guess that's due in part to Nokia wanting a chip capable rather than another custom job, that and its in Qualcomm's interest....
The next big thing in my eyes is the use of UDMA 7/CompactFlash standard memory, processor power isn't the only reason the 1020 is a slow shooter... All top end DSLRs have ultrafast memory so you don't have a backlog... even the 920 was slow enough... a dream would be XQD 2.0 format... 8Gbit/s.... hold down the camera button and i'd say you'd get 10fps on a 810 with a 41Mp... it can support 4k 30fps so with good memory could be a winner.... could do 20fps if the 810 could handle it the processing...

Last edited:

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I really like my 1020 for the ridiculous amount of megapixels (oversampling) and the low-light performance. If the successor has half the megapixels so be it, but if it is going to treated as the true 1020 successor, they better squeeze in all the imaging tech they can. The 1020 set (and still does) the benchmark for cameras in a phone, and now all the other manufacturers making Android handsets are starting to catch up (for example the LG GPro 3, with the laser autofocus and OIS). There better be some killer camera hardware in this phone

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
if McLaren is going to be a true successor of the 1020, I really think it should have a 41 megapixel camera...

reason? to keep the heritage of 10xx series :3

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the compliment Blake!

As I mentioned, I don't think Tom Warren would call the McLaren a 1020 successor if their information was that it came with a run-of-the-mill 20 MP sensor. The question is what have Microsoft included to make this the next camera flagship?

The rumour that the McLaren may come with a 20 MP sensor actually made me even more excited than if the rumour had been that it's coming with another 41 MP sensor. It clearly means they've gone with an imaging upgrade that means more than just increasing the pixel count or adding a seventh lens. The potential for optical zooming, loss of autofocus through computational photography, liquid lens technology or similar has me eagerly anticipating the future leaks! Optics and software are a huge part of the camera, and we know absolutely nothing about these things yet, nor do we know the specifics of the sensor itself!

Do you guys have any theories about what the Nokia and Microsoft engineers may have cooked up?

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Do you guys have any theories about what the Nokia and Microsoft engineers may have cooked up?

if McLaren turned out to be 93x (x = 5 or 9), I predict its camera will be similar to Icon/930 with a little upgrade and there'll be a 1030 with that badass camera tech, but slightly weaker hardware than McLaren

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
if McLaren turned out to be 93x (x = 5 or 9), I predict its camera will be similar to Icon/930 with a little upgrade and there'll be a 1030 with that badass camera tech, but slightly weaker hardware than McLaren

It's supposedly a global variant, so it won't be an XX9-version. And all the rumours we have so far have pointed at the McLaren being a 1020 successor, so it probably won't be a 93X-version either.

It seems to me the 1020 is to the 920 what the McLaren is to the Goldfinger. Sans the botched release.

So my question was; given that this is a 1020 successor with a 20 MP camera, what do you think they've done to the camera to make it worthy of the throne?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
There is not really a point of 3GB of RAM on Windows Phone as the OS does a pretty good job of handling apps in memory even on phones with 1GB of RAM.

However if a 1030 successor were to be launched I would imagine it would sport a Snapdragon 805 processor as it can support upto 55 Megapixel photos.

However if Nokia/Microsoft opts for a Snapdragon 801 then they will have to work with Snapdragon to optimize Snapdragon 801 for the 41 Megapixel camera.

Processors don't do well with things they weren't intended to do, you will have a slow shutter speed on the 1030 similar to the slow shutter speed on 1020.

If Nokia wants to avert disaster and make a true P&S/DSLR replacement they have to increase the camera responsiveness and speed.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb