No Mclaren this year. What to do???

YeMan

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
What's the 1525? Is that a upcoming phone? Is it supposed to be like the 1020 or 1520? I hope it isn't as big as the 1520....

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
What's the 1525? Is that a upcoming phone? Is it supposed to be like the 1020 or 1520? I hope it isn't as big as the 1520....

I think its same as 1520 with latest internals ie new processor, it will most likely be same size. Its still rumour at this stage.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I think its same as 1520 with latest internals ie new processor, it will most likely be same size. Its still rumour at this stage.

Specifically, it's supposed to be the 1520 with a Snapdragon 801 CPU. I'm sure there will be a few other changes as well but nothing earth-shattering.

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
one consolation is that probably they scrapped McLaren in order to release 1020 successor...or maybe not...i'm glad I didn't wait and got the 1020. Dunno how much longer till they actually announce and release and even then...it won't be available in Canada anyways..

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Its rumored to have the snapdragon 801.
But oh wait, its coming out at a time when the snapdragon 805 should be making the rounds.
Its going to be outdated before it even arrives...according to many people.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
That may have been a mock up phone for the 1020. The EOS (code name Elvis) was released as the 1020.

There are still 6 leaked code names floating around out there with very little to NO information about. Guessing by the code names, (purely a guess) I would think the one code named Superman would be a high end phone.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to see the reaction if Microsoft leaked new phone code names like Mirage, Illusion and Fantasy. "I'm waiting for the Mirage."

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
OMG, what a bunch of doom mongers we have on this forum!

Lets look at the facts. It seems Mclaren has been canned because of the 3D Touch tech, which either hasn't worked out, or is taking up too much cash to develop. That tech is just one part of some mythical Mclaren phone. It is perfectly possible that the code names are for "target devices", and the basic hardware platform for several devices has been developed in parallel with the unique selling point tech (like a camera, or 3D Touch) that would go into particular devices.

Look at the 810, 820, 822, 920, 925, and 1020. They are, at their core, the same phone.

What I mean is, by cancelling Mclaren, they haven't cancelled all of the hardware that make up Mclaren, just the combination of tech that used 3D Touch (and that had apparently got to prototype hardware). So there is bound to be another design in the works, that will take the place of Mclaren as the high end Lumia for Q4 2014.

dductran

May 28, 2013
Visit site
OMG, what a bunch of doom mongers we have on this forum!

Lets look at the facts. It seems Mclaren has been canned because of the 3D Touch tech, which either hasn't worked out, or is taking up too much cash to develop. That tech is just one part of some mythical Mclaren phone. It is perfectly possible that the code names are for "target devices", and the basic hardware platform for several devices has been developed in parallel with the unique selling point tech (like a camera, or 3D Touch) that would go into particular devices.

Look at the 810, 820, 822, 920, 925, and 1020. They are, at their core, the same phone.

What I mean is, by cancelling Mclaren, they haven't cancelled all of the hardware that make up Mclaren, just the combination of tech that used 3D Touch (and that had apparently got to prototype hardware). So there is bound to be another design in the works, that will take the place of Mclaren as the high end Lumia for Q4 2014.

I understand that Microsoft have not cancelled all their hardware, however based on current leaks, rumors and news, it was believed (correct me if im wrong here) that the Mclaren would be the "hero" device with flagship specs to be released around september but then pushed back till november - december. Now personally, i don't mind not having 3D touch system. It would have been good to have it, ohkay without it.

However, whats concerning me and i assume some other people here is that there might not be another "hero" device planned to be released during the november - december timeframe. Alot of people, including myself are using lumia 920, 925s or even lower speced devices. For me my lumia 920 still works perfectly and runs like new. That being said, I am looking to upgrade my phone during the same time frame that the rumored Mclaren was suppose to be released.

I originally said I am willing to wait to see if there is more news on the current situation so i wont be making any rash decisions to switch to ios or to buy the current lineup of flagship devices. I'm just concearned that the next flagship device will be released too late and will be outdated compared to competition, especially at the rate of how fast technology advances nowadays.... FINGERS CROSSED.

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
However, whats concerning me and i assume some other people here is that there might not be another "hero" device planned to be released during the november - december timeframe.

What was hero device in 2012, I wonder? In 2013? I would say it was the 920 and then the 1020. So I would expect the next hero device to replace the 1020, with the latest advancement of their camera tech. Just in time for the end of life of the 1020.

Last edited:

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Yep, like the repurposed Verizon exclusive icon being turned into the 930. They have to have something to stay in the mind of punters otherwise they miss a chunk of the holiday market.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Id wait for the 1525, disappointing is an understatement tbh - i also have a 920 (930 is not a worthy uograde) and 1020 which is reaching end of life. I want a great WP device, something cutting edge using the latest technology.

The frustration continues.....

Why is the 930 not a worthy upgrade? People upgrade their iPhones or Galaxies all the time for nothing else other than a minor processor speed bump or screen density. The 930 has a better screen, battery, internals and even the camera is superior. Somehow, people have much higher expectation of MSFT/Nokia than they do Apple/Samsung. It's like if the next 1020 does not have 100MP then it's a failure, conveniently ignoring that the 41MP is already so far ahead of the competition even today.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I hope Microsoft does not make the same mistakes this year, like releasing their flagship/Hero in Q4 instead of Q3 as they have within the past two years.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Why is the 930 not a worthy upgrade? People upgrade their iPhones or Galaxies all the time for nothing else other than a minor processor speed bump or screen density. The 930 has a better screen, battery, internals and even the camera is superior. Somehow, people have much higher expectation of MSFT/Nokia than they do Apple/Samsung. It's like if the next 1020 does not have 100MP then it's a failure, conveniently ignoring that the 41MP is already so far ahead of the competition even today.
the 930 isn't a true upgrade of the 920 because it is missing features that the 920 has. it can't be upgrade if it's one step forward one step back.
the main missing feature I'm talking about is Glance. very important feature.
in addition, looking at the specs sheets, 930 is missing PureMotion HD+, has a downgraded mediocre front-facing camera, and most importantly the LTE bands needed to be used in the USA.

rQvsnaps

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I'll be sticking with my 1020 until another crazy camera device shows up. I was hoping that would be mclaren but nah, 1020 is running good enough for me so no problem

Yet.. :)

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The lesson to get from this is to never hold off a purchase in the hope that a rumoured phone will make it to market. If you see something you like today, just get it and stop thinking about tomorrow. The 1520 is a great phone, I highly recommend it. If it's too big then the 930 should do. No need for gimmicks that you would only have used once in a blue moon, ask Galaxy owners what features they actually use on their phone and I bet it's not many.
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Since McLaren has been cancelled, I have given hopes of upgrading my 920 this year. Just like Fiann said, some of us don't just want flagships but a Hero device which we can hold onto for 2 to 3 years. As spending ?400 to ?600 every year for recycled hardware (techwise) is not really feasible for some of us, there are people who prefer to purchase sim free as opposed to 24 month contracts and be at the mercy of a carrier in terms of updates.

My 920 is going strong and hasn't let me down once (not including 8.1 DP into that counter lol).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923