https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/493430170326691840

I think that with the news today of Update 1 enabling "interactive phone cases" that this phone will basically be a Windows Phone version of the Android counterpart (which I am definitely ok with). Even better, HTC may be able to make the M8 accessories work with the "W8", so that would be amazing since it could tie in to the already decently sized accessory support for the M8.

There "the sky will fall and Windows Phone will be sold off by THIS TIME NEXT YEAR" people, you can take a break.
    BobLobIaw and Guytronic like this.
    07-27-2014 12:59 PM
    I hope it's not just a re-release of the HTC One M8 with WP 8.1 installed. They should make a competitive flagship for Windows Phone for the autumn where they address the issues people had with the One M8, including the sub-par camera.

With that being said, I personally prefer HTC with Android and the HTC Sense skin and would probably wait for the M9 with Android. I feel like one of the few reasons people are sticking with Windows Phone is because of the innovations Nokia brought to the table. Along with their excellent hardware, Nokia developed software for many of the areas Microsoft neglected, including a good camera application, audio controls, mapping services, saturation controls, MixRadio and so forth.

It feels like HTC is the new Nokia.
    07-27-2014 03:50 PM
    Awesome news. HTC > Nokiasoft
    07-27-2014 03:56 PM
    I just want the Samsung Ativ 2 please
    07-27-2014 04:01 PM
    I doubt that HTC will try very hard to make a competitive Windows Phone, at most they are either going to give us an HTC M8 or E8 with Windows Phone equipped.

The only benefit would be the amazing designs(at least of the M8) but both phones have terrible cameras in certain conditions.

HTC doesn't bundle a lot of exclusives with it's devices like Nokia or Samsung does, so this news isn't really exciting.
    Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk
    07-27-2014 04:39 PM
    Good news. I'd like to see Sony and LG join the fall party.
    luismfarelo likes this.
    07-27-2014 04:53 PM
    So we have the HTC ONE WP8.1 and the Lumia 1525 (guessing it'll be renamed to 1530) for our flagships for the fall!
    07-27-2014 06:53 PM
    HTC doesn't bundle a lot of exclusives with it's devices like Nokia or Samsung does, so this news isn't really exciting.
    On Android they have a rather impressive software suite. On Windows Phone though, they don't. Probably because Microsoft won't give them free reigns.
    salmanahmad likes this.
    07-27-2014 10:48 PM
    Sky is still falling for everyone else besides Verizon.
    07-29-2014 02:24 AM
    Sky is still falling for everyone else besides Verizon.
    I find it strange that "tech journalists" constantly seem to forget about the small populated area outside the US some of us like to call the rest of the world. There's not a mention if this is headed for a global release or not.
    07-29-2014 03:33 AM
    Where is that Sony WP you said that was coming out in July at, Tom?
    07-29-2014 06:34 AM
    Still up in the air apparently: https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/494100640776593408
    07-29-2014 07:52 AM
    Hey, they've still got 3 days!
    07-29-2014 08:23 AM
    I am really torn on what to do. I have a 8X on VZW. My contract is up in Dec and I was hoping for a new MS/Nokia flagship this fall. It looks like the Icon will still be on the only flagship. I love the Icon but it will be an "old" phone at that point and I don't want to be a year behind. I like HTC and the 8X has been a great phone but I wanted to move to Nokia/MS. I may just buy a refurbished Icon on line and wait for next year.
    07-29-2014 11:17 AM
    I would think the more manufacturers making WP's the better. Gives us choices and gets the OS out there. WP will become less of a niche product. Probably sticking with my icon tho unless a better camera is available and HTC seems to have problems Makin g great cams.
    07-29-2014 11:24 AM
    I am really torn on what to do. I have a 8X on VZW. My contract is up in Dec and I was hoping for a new MS/Nokia flagship this fall. It looks like the Icon will still be on the only flagship. I love the Icon but it will be an "old" phone at that point and I don't want to be a year behind. I like HTC and the 8X has been a great phone but I wanted to move to Nokia/MS. I may just buy a refurbished Icon on line and wait for next year.
    I'm in the same situation myself. My contract for the 8X expires in November and I am able to upgrade now. I really wanted to move to the Lumia 930 but my network (3 UK) didn't stock it because all of the messing about over the release date. There are no Windows Phone devices at all at the moment so I was begrudgingly going to move to Android and get the M8.
    If this is actually released in August as rumoured and its released internationally and not another stupid one year exclusive to one US carrier AND my network stock it, this is a no brainer for me.

It will be so interesting to see if HTC are allowed to do anything with the UI. The software wrap they do on Android is the main selling point of the device. Would MS permit them to do that on Windows Phone? They should, but I doubt they will. Perhaps as exclusive apps instead?
    Beijendorf likes this.
    07-29-2014 02:00 PM

It will be so interesting to see if HTC are allowed to do anything with the UI. The software wrap they do on Android is the main selling point of the device. Would MS permit them to do that on Windows Phone? They should, but I doubt they will. Perhaps as exclusive apps instead?
    No OEM is allowed to alter the Core UX, not even Nokia was allowed to do so. They just had more access to the O/S hence why we were able to get the storage check apps and what not either that or they just were not plain bothered (i.e the HTC storage check app is just woeful compared to the Lumia app). OEMS can only bundle exclusive apps like the HTC Clock found on the 8S and 8X or have hardware differentiators like the keys on the Huawei WP.

However they are only restricted to a list of SOCs and Min Spec when it comes to hardware and design.
    08-01-2014 11:19 PM