Would you buy the HTC One M8 Windows Phone?

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Im probably considering this. Im still with Ativ-S, which is the longest time I have been with same device ever.

I would love to have NokMicrosoft device, but Im not totally sold by the 930, havent had one in hand though. 1520 is too big for a phone.

I guess there could be the Ativ SE also at some point. I need to get my hands on these devices and decide.

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'd buy one in a New York Minute. It just has to be on AT&T. And even if it only shows up on Verizon, I would get one. The M8 is the best android device out there IMHO. The M8 running 8.1? Winning.
had the m7 (HTC One) on at&t. would get the w8 ONLY if it were to come to at&t.
and i didn't already have a great phone in the Nokia lumia 1520.
vzw and i are on bad terms.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Just read this article, and I may be interested...anyone else? Windows Phone 8.1-Based HTC One M8 to Go Official on August 19

Considering it has a notification led yes. But having been a long time HTC user i am terribly scorched by HTC service in any country i have lived (including Taipei). Also, considering the issues with WP i wouldn't buy other hardware with that OS till it gets fixed properly. Will keep my 1520 (whose design i absolutely love). And, HTC has good displays but Nokia Lumias are on another planet for displays. To me, except the led and the metal body, and of course the more updated hardware the rest is not worth.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I would of definitely considered it if I didn't already have the Icon.

Ditto. I have a mate with the 8X and he loves it, while I have had a couple of HTC phones in the past and been very impressed with them. The M8 screen appeared to be narrow after I had looked at the N930/Icon.

kevin hill3

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
No I would not, and the only reason I would not buy one is... Nokia gets the updates first. Same reason I have a nexus tablet. I do own a HTC M7 and I do really like it, but my main phone is a 920 and I love it, the HTC is fun for a change but I always come back to my Windows phone. I really think Nokia needs a new design this one is getting a bit old. But this is how I feel right now, if they do not come out with a phone as good or better than the 920 I might think about a HTC windows phone. The only phone Nokia has come out with that is really Different is the 1520 and that is just it's size. I could care less about how great the camera is on all the other phones. Young people are spoiled and indifferent to what it is they really have in their hand with a smart phone. All they care about is how cool it is, what games they can play, and how good the camera is. Sorry i got off subject, No right now I would not buy a windows HTC phone.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I've never really understood the fuss about cameras on phones. Almost everybody only uses them as a snapshot camera rather than a serious device, and even the 20MP camera on the 930 only has 2x zoom.

Regardless of how good the shots are it's never going to replace my very pocketable 18MP Sony compact with 20x optical zoom which despite being 2 years old now still takes better pics than the 930, and I wouldn't go away for any length of time without it. In that respect I don't really understand why manufacturers are putting so much emphasis on phone cameras apart from as a selling point.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I've never really understood the fuss about cameras on phones. Almost everybody only uses them as a snapshot camera rather than a serious device, and even the 20MP camera on the 930 only has 2x zoom.

Regardless of how good the shots are it's never going to replace my very pocketable 18MP Sony compact with 20x optical zoom which despite being 2 years old now still takes better pics than the 930, and I wouldn't go away for any length of time without it. In that respect I don't really understand why manufacturers are putting so much emphasis on phone cameras apart from as a selling point.

Because your phone is always on you. I have a very good camera myself. Last time I pulled it out? The zoo about three weeks ago. I last had my phone, well, now. If my three year old decides he's going to do something amazing, I can be recording or taking pictures now in seconds and I could take good pictures as opposed to with the m8 I had last week where everyone would look blurred out like a low budget cop show.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
had the m7 (HTC One) on at&t. would get the w8 ONLY if it were to come to at&t.
and i didn't already have a great phone in the Nokia lumia 1520.
vzw and i are on bad terms.

The HTC One's M8 design is what this platform needs in its top tier arsenal. There is no two ways about it and we shouldn't depend on what they drag out of Nokia to lead this design. Its not been the worse but manufacturing hasn't been the best. Too many manufacturing flaws from Nokia. Too many. With no challenge in the industry, Nokia/MS hardware division will never improve. We need the W8 from HTC. I hope it makes it to AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile. Sprint is a lost cause so I don't expect anything but excuses from that trailer park phone store.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the camera, agreed that having it with you is a must and my phone is always with me, canon camera not so much. I had an M7 that was one of the most solidly built, smooth phones ever, also those speakers just rock, love em. I'd totally consider the W8 except I'm already rockin' an icon. I'll check it out in store tho when released and keep up with the real user reviews. Doubtful I'd want to dump my icon. But I've learned to never say never especially when it comes to awesome phones.:grin:

qwertyaa

Banned
Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes, of course. hTC can make phones. They've proved it so many times. But I'll go for Mini version with 13 MP. I don't like the UltraPixels. They should do 8 Ultra pixels and I will definitely think about that. ;)
Sent from my RM-875_eu_hungary_298 using Tapatalk

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I like the larger screen of the 1520, but my son has the HTC One M8 with Android and it is a very nice looking and substantial device. When he got it, I was thinking that it would be even better if it ran WP.

Willy Soughers

May 27, 2013
Visit site
It is not a gimmick there are benefits of a 41 MP sensor. For one it future-proofs your camera shots and gives you lots of room to zoom.

However the slow shot times are a problem. :/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Future proofing only viable if its completely useful. The 1020 was a niche device and I couldn't wait to upgrade to the 1520. At this point, 41mp or not, its an outdated device and as a photo journalist and tech fanatic, I see no advantage but a bit of extra zoom over a good 20mp camera.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes, of course. hTC can make phones. They've proved it so many times. But I'll go for Mini version with 13 MP. I don't like the UltraPixels. They should do 8 Ultra pixels and I will definitely think about that. ;)

Look at a comparison between the 4 MP and the 13 MP sensor first. The 4 MP sensor outclasses the 13 MP sensor in everything except image resolution.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Nokia gets the best of everything on Windows Phone. I would never look at HTC unless it was on Robot (or whatever it's called)

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I am sorry to say that but after htc 8x I told myself do not buy anything from this company! You think design is good? No way!!! No phone from last 3 years from HTC have excellent design! Every phone have awful thinkgs like power button on htx 8x! How is putting button on the top of such big phone??? Camera! HTC do yu know what camera is it for? this is not the thing that just should be in phone! It must work!

Anyway. HTC is not the company you should think about whe you are buying new WP phone. They will never make anything excellent!

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I am sorry to say that but after htc 8x I told myself do not buy anything from this company! You think design is good? No way!!! No phone from last 3 years from HTC have excellent design! Every phone have awful thinkgs like power button on htx 8x! How is putting button on the top of such big phone??? Camera! HTC do yu know what camera is it for? this is not the thing that just should be in phone! It must work!

Anyway. HTC is not the company you should think about whe you are buying new WP phone. They will never make anything excellent!

I don't think the power button being on top is so bad. Gotta be better than half way down the side like on the Lumia 930.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Power button location is basically a personal opinion/preference issue. Since no phone is perfectly pure perfection in build design we can get used to button positioning. Those who seemingly think its a bad design on a certain device are certainly entitled to their opinion and ranting it out if they feel that strongly about it. I can get used to a button being anywhere, just can sometimes take a bit of time as any new device takes getting used to. Regarding the new HTC, I would be much more concerned about its other possible foibles and I place the power button placement pretty much at the bottom of my list of dislikes.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Agreed, not that big a deal. I don't like the position of the button on the 930 but it's not the end of the world either and isn't something I have ever considered when buying a phone. But I just don't get why designers decide on their "perfect" position for one phone then on the next one they go move it again.

rcloke91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Again, the power button is on top for HTC's remote control app. It's not a design screw up, it's functionally necessary.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs