Would you buy the HTC One M8 Windows Phone?

BUDDYFUNLOVE

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I had an M7 and it is a beautiful device. That said, Nokia phones are no slouch in build quality. I would say it would only be tempting if you were looking to upgrade or are new to windows phones. If you have a higher end Nokia, save your money.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
It would be a no for me, Nokia has been by far the best company in terms of support and updating devices. I broke my headphones like 3 times and they replaced them each time and also send me a brand new L710 when the camera was broken.

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Having owned the HTC One for a time, I actually didn't mind the camera. The pictures, while not Pure View-good, impressed me in the right conditions, and the camera was fast. Really fast. Also, the phone felt amazing, the screen was beautiful, call quality was amazing, and the Boom Sound speakers were absolutely to-die-for.

My biggest objection? HTC's absolute insistence upon placing the power button on the TOP of a huge, hulking mass of a phone. My hands aren't small, but I'd still have to shift the entire phone around to b-a-r-e-l-y reach that tiny-a$$ power button. Ridiculous. Double-tap to wake will help, but not with turning the screen off. Bad design move, HTC. Bad.

That said, I'm glad that HTC is still trying. They generally make nice phones and have interesting technology that they attempt to differentiate with. I like that. I'm not sure how firmly they'll stand behind WP in the future, which is a big concern, but they're a solid company in a lot of ways. I welcome the HTC One for Windows to the family :)

rcloke91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I have the M7 as my daily driver and love it. Battery life is iffy but performance is solid and the build is fantastic. It's good to see WP get another high end entrant.

Also,the power button is on the top of the device because its the IR blaster.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I would not spend $200 and sign up for a 2-year agreement for a phone from 6 months (or more) ago from a company who has repeatedly shown little ability to provide meaningful support (for WP or Android). I'd rather not give up the Lumia updates and purchase a phone whose OEM will abandon support after 6-12 months (like they essentially did with my Droid Incredible).

So, to recap:

1. Older hardware
2. Uncommitted company
3. No discount for age of hardware
4. Less software/firmware support

Pass.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I'll admit, for me it's mildly tempting. I've had bad experiences with my 900, 820, & 920. But my 1020 & 1520 have made up for those duds. But to be honest, I don't see myself ditching this awesome, glossy red 1520 anytime soon.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If they have improved the camera, so something like 12 megapixel Ultra Pixel lens then definitely, otherwise I'll wait to see if Microsoft can impress me October

I don't see them making an ultrapixel camera with 12 MP anytime soon until their "less is better" philosophy does a u-turn, remember the fun they made out of Nokia about the 41 MP sensor?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Admittedly this is more a result of past bad experience with earlier HTCs running WP7 and Windows Mobile but no. All of the worst smartphones I have ever owned were made by HTC. Again though this is my own bias. Others have had great success. Unfortunately, I has so many problems they ran out of chances with me....

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.1 running on M8 is extremely attempting, I've used slightly my buddies M8 and its really nice. While I love the 920/1020 design, HTC would be a nice break from Nokia for a while. But that camera...i don't know, that's a huge disadvantage for HTC. I think the double camera is good, and if the WP software can work with the dual low mp camera in positive ways id definitely consider it.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't see them making an ultrapixel camera with 12 MP anytime soon until their "less is better" philosophy does a u-turn, remember the fun they made out of Nokia about the 41 MP sensor?

As much as a dislike HTC, they were absolutely correct about the 41 MP sensor. It is gimmicky and of no use to most. No phone is large enough to use a genuinely viable high density sensor so it is just another glorified P&S camera with lots of resolution but excessive pixel density for the size of the chip. It also justifiably famous for slow response time as a result. FWIW, sales clearly never exactly moved it from niche status and the market has not embraced anything in that range for mainstream/non-niche products. Sorry to burst your bubble but HTC's position on the subject is a plus when it comes to considerations of their product designs rather than a negative....

Willy Soughers

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty excited, we haven't seen a great windows phone from HTC since the titan 2. The 8x was a reskinned one x with a smaller screen. I suppose the "w8" for a successor is over... Pun intended haha. But in all seriousness, while the w8 would be another reskin, at least it wont feel like a gimped one the way the 8x felt.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I personally would not. I find their design language to generally be unappealing. I thought HTC's nicest phone was the 8X, which was more or less a rip-off of the Lumia range's aesthetics. I'm happy for the variety and options in hardware though... should push Nokia/Microsoft a little harder.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'd buy one in a New York Minute. It just has to be on AT&T. And even if it only shows up on Verizon, I would get one. The M8 is the best android device out there IMHO. The M8 running 8.1? Winning.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
As much as a dislike HTC, they were absolutely correct about the 41 MP sensor. It is gimmicky and of no use to most. No phone is large enough to use a genuinely viable high density sensor so it is just another glorified P&S camera with lots of resolution but excessive pixel density for the size of the chip. It also justifiably famous for slow response time as a result. FWIW, sales clearly never exactly moved it from niche status and the market has not embraced anything in that range for mainstream/non-niche products. Sorry to burst your bubble but HTC's position on the subject is a plus when it comes to considerations of their product designs rather than a negative....
It is not a gimmick there are benefits of a 41 MP sensor. For one it future-proofs your camera shots and gives you lots of room to zoom.

However the slow shot times are a problem. :/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion