Would you buy the HTC One M8 Windows Phone?

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, I was strongly leaning towards getting this phone, but with the recent debacle of DP 8.1 update one, I think I'll just wait for a new Lumia or get the iPhone 6...

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm sitting on my phone upgrade with AT&T, but can switch to Verizon anytime. Not sure what I am going to do.

I think I will stick with WP, but am considering iphone6. It would be nice to have apps like SiriusXM, various games (Square-Enix,Clash of Clans, etc), my local bank and the off-shoot apps that pop up here and there, but I am tied in the MS System and really enjoy the phone.

This phone would really put me over the top, but I want to see how the camera is in the reviews on Windows software. I have the 1520 now but at times miss the camera of the 1020. Not sure I'd be ok if the W8's camera is far enough off from the 1520.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm a HUGE Nokia fan... But I'm rally not liking the battery performance of my 925 along with the overheating issue. If these persist, I'm totally interested in making the switch to HTC.. cautiously.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm a HUGE Nokia fan... But I'm rally not liking the battery performance of my 925 along with the overheating issue. If these persist, I'm totally interested in making the switch to HTC.. cautiously.

If it helps, my husband has been selling phones for 13 years. Most faulty returns = Nokia. Least returns = HTC.

Figures are proportionate, i.e. a percentage of those sold. It's one of the reasons I have shied away from Nokia until I got my 930 last week - which was faulty and exchanged for a new one this morning.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
For me, it isn't a "must-buy" situation, but neither would I immediately dismiss it. It looks great, and I wouldn't be opposed to owning an HTC phone, but I have been happy for nearly two years now with my 920.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
If it helps, my husband has been selling phones for 13 years. Most faulty returns = Nokia. Least returns = HTC.

Figures are proportionate, i.e. a percentage of those sold. It's one of the reasons I have shied away from Nokia until I got my 930 last week - which was faulty and exchanged for a new one this morning.
I'm sorry but I don't believe that

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Assuming it's all accurate, your own experience proves your point, doesn't it? :sweaty:

I'm curious where the iPhone and other manufacturers fall in the line up here.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site

This has been my personal experience. I've never had problems with any HTC phone I've owned. No complaints. But every Nokia I've owned, beside my current 1520, has been a nightmare with multiple problems. Same with every Nokia owner I've known. I admit though, it seems the trend is changing for me with my 1520 (fingers crossed).

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Why not? You have evidence?

Evidence? The original post that he doesn't believe doesn't provide any evidence either. And no, second hand anecdotal evidence does not count.

I also don't believe it. If someone throws out two brands and says "most" for one and "least" for the other, you'd also be smart not to put a lot of stock in it.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Assuming it's all accurate, your own experience proves your point, doesn't it? :sweaty:

I'm curious where the iPhone and other manufacturers fall in the line up here.

I was just referring to Reebs Reebs post, who was saying he was cautious about buying HTC. My point is that according to our experience they have proved to be more reliable than Nokia, and every other brand on the market too so he shouldn't be too worried.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry but I don't believe that

Assuming you mean the bit about the returns, it doesn't matter what you believe, that was our experience - to the point where we actually stopped selling Nokia phones apart from the very basic models. The E and N series were a nightmare, we still have a boxful of faulties as far as I know.

These days we only sell contract phones as agents so we handle very few but up until about 2 years ago that was our experience and as I say, for that reason the Nokia 930 I have now (apart from an old 1110 we use for checking sims and is still going strong) is the first one Nokia have ever owned - and the first one had to be replaced, I have posted a separate thread on that.

garyjk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was considering the M8 until HTC failed its' user base again by not having a driver updated to support windows phone 8.1 u1. They?ve virtually left anyone who bought into the windows 8 flagship device in the dust since the 8x's inception.
So, do I want to be at the mercy of HTC, when they change their mind on a whim, as to whether they decide to support a device going forward?
I realize they're working on a fix for the update 1 issue, but they've released next to nothing for over a year and a half now. It?s their track record that concerns me, so I?m probably going to just get an icon at the end of the month, no matter how good the M8 turns out to be.

Sledgehamma

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I would not spend $200 and sign up for a 2-year agreement for a phone from 6 months (or more) ago from a company who has repeatedly shown little ability to provide meaningful support (for WP or Android). I'd rather not give up the Lumia updates and purchase a phone whose OEM will abandon support after 6-12 months (like they essentially did with my Droid Incredible).

So, to recap:

1. Older hardware
2. Uncommitted company
3. No discount for age of hardware
4. Less software/firmware support
Pass.

1. Because the Lumia 930 has the latest hardware, right? You don't have a point there.
2. In the past definitely. We will see whether this will change in the future or not
3. You already know the price of the device? Then feel free to enlighten us. Same is to be sad about the 930.
4. You have a point here.

I really would give HTC a chance since I am totally disappointed with the Lumia 930. The display in it is the worst I have seen in a flagship device! The last generation (lumia 920) has a better screen despite the lower resolution and the poor viewing angles. But at everything else the 920 ist better than it's successor. But I am sure that 99% will disagree with me on that.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what's wrong with your 930 display then because it's as good as anything else I have seen on the top of the range devices. I actually intended buying the LG G3 but went for the 930 because the display was better than the G3.

Binary Ninja

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Sledge i wouldn't be so hard on Keith he has valid points .. HTC while they do make nice looking stuff *** generally *** they let down their market / consumers by lack of support , updates , stock..

Here in Oz when i was chasing a HTC 8X i could not find one unless imported stock with less of a warranty or sending back to hong kong .. So settled for a Lumia 820 now i have upgraded that to a Lumia 925 and with both these handsets continual support with software and firmware from Nokia and Microsoft ..

HTC need to ensure all suppliers / resellers have adequate stock of their HTC handsets and they really need to ensure consumers they will be around support wise for WP 8.1 .. Why outlay good $$$ and be stuck with out of date firmware / operating system..

I think .. hope ... the upcoming event will be more about what they plan to do long term for Windows Phone rather then just launch a single handset ... I would like to see the HTC One W8 mini and all similar handsets side by side with Android or Wp 8.1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss