Would you buy the HTC One M8 Windows Phone?

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
No. the 930 I won from hidden gems is beautiful. I love it. The display is the best I've ever seen on a phone, it's just gorgeous. It looks great. I love the orange back. The touchscreen is incredibly good. The camera and battery life is passable. The call quality is pretty good.

I don't care for HTC. The M8/W8 are fabulous looking devices but I do not have any brand loyalty with HTC as of yet, and I would be reluctant to take the plunge for two main reasons: 1) I'd have to pay to get Here Drive+ back as it's not a Nokia phone so you don't get it for free, and 2) HTC don't fill me with much confidence given their existing track record

Phone Guy 4567

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Assuming you mean the bit about the returns, it doesn't matter what you believe, that was our experience - to the point where we actually stopped selling Nokia phones apart from the very basic models. The E and N series were a nightmare, we still have a boxful of faulties as far as I know.

These days we only sell contract phones as agents so we handle very few but up until about 2 years ago that was our experience and as I say, for that reason the Nokia 930 I have now (apart from an old 1110 we use for checking sims and is still going strong) is the first one Nokia have ever owned - and the first one had to be replaced, I have posted a separate thread on that.

I like Nokia phones but have to agree their devices were hit and miss. I had the E61 and the phone was metal except for the joystick that you used to navigate the UI. The joystick was plastic and over time felt like it was going to break off any second. The N95 developed a wobbly slider and my current 920 has developed a loose battery.

I've also had issues with HTC phones, but I don't think they've ever had an overblown reputation for build quality that Nokia has.

Quinn FitzGerald

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
if they moved the power button to the side, perhaps.

I have used my friends One, and, it feels quite nice, and looks quite nice to.

That being said, the power button placement is unacceptable on a phone that large.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
if they moved the power button to the side, perhaps.

I have used my friends One, and, it feels quite nice, and looks quite nice to.

That being said, the power button placement is unacceptable on a phone that large.

I actually love having the power button on the top. I currently use both the 8X and the 822 and I hate when i accidentally hit power instead of volume down on my 822. It is just so much easier to find the power button on the 8X (like when I'm taking it out of my pocket), since it is on the skinnier side.

That being said, the lack of a camera button might actually dissuade me from getting the W8. I haven't used the on-screen camera buttons in years. Plus, I love to half press to focus so that I can be ready to shoot whenever the image is perfect.

Quinn FitzGerald

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I actually love having the power button on the top. I currently use both the 8X and the 822 and I hate when i accidentally hit power instead of volume down on my 822. It is just so much easier to find the power button on the 8X (like when I'm taking it out of my pocket), since it is on the skinnier side.
Problem is not that on top is a bad place, the problem is the phone is so large that I cannot click the power button when holding the phone in hand without moving hand up. [edit]same with everyone else that friend has let use phone, aside from one person who is around 2 meters tall (that is about 6.5 feet for anyone who uses Imperial system (aka, Americans))[/edit]

EDIT: Obviously, not all the phones listed below have a power button on the top, the list was to show that I have not had problems with top power buttons, or with other large phones /EDIT
Not a problem on Moto G, iPhone 4, some $60 LG, 920, 1020, 1520 or iPhone 3GS I used to have. [edit]On that note, that is the one thing my friend with a One (m7) would change on the design.[/edit]

From your post sounds like you have not tried using the phone... or you have giant hands, if it is the latter, the One is an excellent choice, based solely on the build/feel/etc.

Last edited:

Quinn FitzGerald

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
all that has been heard is that it is coming to Verizon, either they will have a long period of exclusivity, or it is only Verizon. Or the Flying Spaghetti Monster has been tampering with all articles/sources that are saying it will come to other carriers.

I think the first two are the most likely :(

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Quinn: No, I haven't used the M8 yet. However, I can't hit the top button of the 8X while I'm holding it in one hand, either. That is, I can't without wiggling my hand up the phone a little. I guess that I never realized that it was a problem, as I usually press the button as transition the phone to/from my pocket, when I have a different grip on the phone (I'm super afraid of dropping my phone, haha).

AlexanderJJJ: I've heard nothing except Verizon-exclusive in the US. It sounds like the best-case, but still not ideal, scenario for non-Verizon customers would be if the international variant had the same bands as the other US carriers. I'm not sure how likely that is, though.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
all that has been heard is that it is coming to Verizon, either they will have a long period of exclusivity, or it is only Verizon. Or the Flying Spaghetti Monster has been tampering with all articles/sources that are saying it will come to other carriers.

I think the first two are the most likely :(

But Pastafarians are not exclusive to Verizon... :(

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Having owned the HTC One for a time, I actually didn't mind the camera. The pictures, while not Pure View-good, impressed me in the right conditions, and the camera was fast. Really fast. Also, the phone felt amazing, the screen was beautiful, call quality was amazing, and the Boom Sound speakers were absolutely to-die-for.

My biggest objection? HTC's absolute insistence upon placing the power button on the TOP of a huge, hulking mass of a phone. My hands aren't small, but I'd still have to shift the entire phone around to b-a-r-e-l-y reach that tiny-a$$ power button. Ridiculous. Double-tap to wake will help, but not with turning the screen off. Bad design move, HTC. Bad.

That said, I'm glad that HTC is still trying. They generally make nice phones and have interesting technology that they attempt to differentiate with. I like that. I'm not sure how firmly they'll stand behind WP in the future, which is a big concern, but they're a solid company in a lot of ways. I welcome the HTC One for Windows to the family :)

I'm posting this from my HTC One M7 now, and I can ditto pretty much this whole post.

The W8 will be a phone that many people will like and want. Having it in the line up will be great for WP.

That said, I won't be buying one. I'll miss the Boomsound. The screen and battery life are stellar. But the camera (while very fast), power button placement and customer support are just too bad to tolerate.

Sledgehamma

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what's wrong with your 930 display then because it's as good as anything else I have seen on the top of the range devices. I actually intended buying the LG G3 but went for the 930 because the display was better than the G3.

I have tried over 10 devices. Two were bought through different online stores. One was bought from a retail store. I tested the rest in different stores and regions in my country. EVERY device had the same issues. On some devices the defects were more noticeable than on others. But I look very close to those issues, I think way more than others. And when I saw the defect I only see the bad side....I hate that but there's nothing I can do about it. And I really wanted the device to be awesome!

My main issues with the display are:

-display has a slow response time resulting in discolouration and frayed (not sure this is the right word) letters while scrolling
-the display/touchscreen does not respond as fast to input as the 920's does
-and the worst issue I had, was that the display was kind of dusty/dirty UNDER the glass. It's like you have got dirt or fat from your finger on the top of your screen, but you can not clean that. I noticed that especially well when I had green tiles on the home screen. I immediately returned the device and looked other phones which had the same defect, most devices less intense but since I knew the defect I would only look at that dirt... The people at the shop said that this is not a defect but it is in the production tolerance and if I send my device in to Nokia they won't repair it. But I don't know if it's true or not because I did not send it in.

Last edited:

Raffyv

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Had 2 other HTC phones and currently own an unlocked HTC 8x.
If they do not provide an update to Windows 8.1 for the 8X, then useless to buy an HTC One M8 if HTC will just as well abandon support after 6-12 months.
Better for me just to go back with Nokia, my first cellphones were all nokia.

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Say what you will about HTC's commitment to WP, but at least they know how to arrange a decent-looking start screen, unlike Microsoft's unmitigated mess:
verizon_m8_windows_phone_leak.jpg Nokia-Lumia-930-front.png
I just can't imagine any non-WP user looking at this promo image of the 930 and thinking, "Yes I think I'll switch to an OS that looks like that."

Last edited:

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Well I quite like it. Nice and colourful and shows more flexibility than the HTC one portrays. But since you can arrange every aspect of it yourself what difference does that make?

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
But if they are simply assuming that only certain aspects can be changed that's their problem. That isn't likely to be any different whether you use the HTC or the Nokia shot.

In fact looking at the 'Phone' tile, I would say the HTC one looks more like a fixed tile than the tiny Nokia one. The Nokia looks like the more customised interface overall.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss