Probably the best Headline I could get for Windows Phone, ever!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Better camera and physical buttons non excusive. Then yeah

The camera in the M8 is not stellar but then its running android. I hope the WP 8.1 software improves how the images look. But the look and feel of the M8 is the best. Speakers on the front all powered by Wp 8.1will make a real statement.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
It definitely won't be coming to all carriers that day. Probably will be on Verizon for a little while exclusively, forever, or it will just be sold unlocked gam version later on.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It definitely won't be coming to all carriers that day. Probably will be on Verizon for a little while exclusively, forever, or it will just be sold unlocked gam version later on.
No. It'll be unlocked on Verizon on day one. Its how they roll at Verizon. The ICON on Verizon is born UNLOCKED and this one will be as well.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No. It'll be unlocked on Verizon on day one. Its how they roll at Verizon. The ICON on Verizon is born UNLOCKED and this one will be as well.

Yup. Verizon is forced by FCC rules surrounding the 700MHz spectrum which they use for their LTE to leave all their LTE devices unlocked. That's why the Icon, the iPhone 5s, the Galaxy S5, and all other Verizon LTE phones are unlocked. But, you may not get LTE on other carriers. Other than that they should work fine.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yup. Verizon is forced by FCC rules surrounding the 700MHz spectrum which they use for their LTE to leave all their LTE devices unlocked. That's why the Icon, the iPhone 5s, the Galaxy S5, and all other Verizon LTE phones are unlocked. But, you may not get LTE on other carriers. Other than that they should work fine.
True on the LTE. You'll sit on EDGE if you put the ICON on AT&T. And to be honest, even that experience with the ICON on EDGE wasn't half bad.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If it is only available to Verizon; then it another miss opportunity for WP growth in the U.S.

Verizon is the largest carrier in the US, its phones are all factory unlocked and has more WP8 LTE phones than any other carrier. Please explain how this will be such a huge mistake. Let me guess, you don't have Verizon service.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
True on the LTE. You'll sit on EDGE if you put the ICON on AT&T. And to be honest, even that experience with the ICON on EDGE wasn't half bad.

The Icon supports the 850 & 1900 bands on UMTS. Why would it be stuck on EDGE unless you're in a dead zone?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is the largest carrier in the US, its phones are all factory unlocked and has more WP8 LTE phones than any other carrier. Please explain how this will be such a huge mistake. Let me guess, you don't have Verizon service.

Because Verizon is only bigger than AT&T by just a couple million people, so it's a loss to the US due to it not being on every carrier, only locked to one.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Because Verizon is only bigger than AT&T by just a couple million people, so it's a loss to the US due to it not being on every carrier, only locked to one.

Did you not read my post correctly or some of the other posts in this thread? ALL Verizon phones are factory unlocked as the result of a negotiated settlement with the FCC.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Did you not read my post correctly or some of the other posts in this thread? ALL Verizon phones are factory unlocked as the result of a negotiated settlement with the FCC.

Yes, but that also means that if you're not on Verizon, you have to pay out of pocket right then and there, instead of paying for it monthly. Even then, it's not guaranteed to work 100%, as others have mentioned on other threads for stuff like internet sharing and not getting the fastest speeds.

J Ice70

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Pretty lame article
"Nokia, which is now part of Microsoft and sells the more Windows Phones than anyone else, tends to make chunky, brick-like plastic phones that are pretty dull looking. This will be the first time Windows Phone users will get a premium device with a design that rivals the iPhone."

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I say good luck to anybody trying to buy a phone from Verizon without an active contract. I have an active contract and I have to jump through hoops and deal with a ton of bull**** to just buy one full retail and not touch my contract.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720