Probably the best Headline I could get for Windows Phone, ever!

ricbon

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Pretty lame article
"Nokia, which is now part of Microsoft and sells the more Windows Phones than anyone else, tends to make chunky, brick-like plastic phones that are pretty dull looking. This will be the first time Windows Phone users will get a premium device with a design that rivals the iPhone."

I though the same thing let's not forget the Pureview that nokia brings. That being said I'm excited for this phone but the only thing is the 4 ultra mp camera.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but that also means that if you're not on Verizon, you have to pay out of pocket right then and there, instead of paying for it monthly. Even then, it's not guaranteed to work 100%, as others have mentioned on other threads for stuff like internet sharing and not getting the fastest speeds.

ANY phone that gets unlocked may have issues with features if used outside its native network. As for paying full price, who subsidizes a sim-free phone? Nobody. Carrier exclusives is nothing new. It just turns into an issue when a device is released on a network you're not on. You think people on T-Mobile don't wish to have a 1020 on contract? Or Sprint subscribers wanting a 1520? Can't please everybody.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Pretty lame article
"Nokia, which is now part of Microsoft and sells the more Windows Phones than anyone else, tends to make chunky, brick-like plastic phones that are pretty dull looking. This will be the first time Windows Phone users will get a premium device with a design that rivals the iPhone."
I don't think the Lumia line is anything clunky but I'll leave that at your opinion and not worth debating. Its technology and it is its design, not a fashion statement. Never picked a phone based on the sneakers I wear or how tight you wear your jeans. You may have but its not what I do.
I like the design of the 920, the ICON, the 1020 and the 1520. They are all practical designs and extremely solid. I also like the design of the HTC One M8 and I'm sure there will be disagreement there but again, not worth debating.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the Lumia line is anything clunky but I'll leave that at your opinion and not worth debating. Its technology and it is its design, not a fashion statement. Never picked a phone based on the sneakers I wear or how tight you wear your jeans. You may have but its not what I do.
I like the design of the 920, the ICON, the 1020 and the 1520. They are all practical designs and extremely solid. I also like the design of the HTC One M8 and I'm sure there will be disagreement there but again, not worth debating.

Careful there my friend, you might start another one of those "phones are sexy" threads. BTW, I could have gone the rest of my life without reading that tight jeans comment.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The headline of the article is pretty nonsensical, IMO. Here is the logic that the article is giving me:

1. HTC arguably makes the best Android device.
2. HTC is doing a copy-paste of the hardware from (1.), putting Windows Phone on the "paste" end.
3. HTC is making the best Windows Phone.

The logic there is seriously flawed for a few reasons:

1. Nokia/Microsoft puts more effort into good hardware than Samsung (whose phone bodies and cameras suck).
2. HTC got the "Window Phone" flagship moniker with the 8X, as opposed to the 920, but they offered little software support and skipped the 2013 launch altogether.

Basically, HTC half-asses its Windows Phone efforts, while Nokia/Microsoft works harder with Windows Phone hardware than Samsung does with its Android devices. So, deciding that the HTC hardware trumps Nokia hardware because it arguably trumps Samsung is just bad logic. At the end of the day, I don't trust HTC to put real work into this phone, making it just a semi-required copy-paste to say they're in the WP market. The metal of the body's likely to be the only selling point, while Microsoft will push legitimate features like a better camera, more storage, super-sensitive touch, and vastly-superior firmware/software support.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The headline of the article is pretty nonsensical, IMO. Here is the logic that the article is giving me:

2. HTC is doing a copy-paste of the hardware from (1.), putting Windows Phone on the "paste" end.

1. Nokia/Microsoft puts more effort into good hardware than Samsung (whose phone bodies and cameras suck).
2. HTC got the "Window Phone" flagship moniker with the 8X, as opposed to the 920, but they offered little software support and skipped the 2013 launch altogether.

Basically, HTC half-asses its Windows Phone efforts, while Nokia/Microsoft works harder with Windows Phone hardware than Samsung does with its Android devices. So, deciding that the HTC hardware trumps Nokia hardware because it arguably trumps Samsung is just bad logic. At the end of the day, I don't trust HTC to put real work into this phone, making it just a semi-required copy-paste to say they're in the WP market. The metal of the body's likely to be the only selling point, while Microsoft will push legitimate features like a better camera, more storage, super-sensitive touch, and vastly-superior firmware/software support.

First, it doesn't sound as if you've ever held a Samsung Ativ S Neo. I have a 920 and an Ativ and except for the low-light camera capability, the Samsung is the superior phone.

Second, while I agree with your statement regarding HTC's post-purchase support, they do build a solid device that's second to none.

Third, rebadged phones aren't necessarily half-assed efforts. The Ativ I mentioned is nearly identical to the GS3 but it's a much better device. Maybe Samsung saw the complaints about the GS3 and fixed them with the Ativ.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Careful there my friend, you might start another one of those "phones are sexy" threads. BTW, I could have gone the rest of my life without reading that tight jeans comment.
ROTFL. Yeah, I debated leaving that one out there. lol. Not at all my intent. Trust me.

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

There is no issue with reusing hemroid phone hardware, if it worked great then why not? Your logic is flawed. If the lumia's were so great then Windows Phone would be growing not stagnating!

Rabid nokia fan boys will be the end of WP!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Also looking forward to this. My main concern would be the exclusive apps from Nokia that I'll be missing

Nokia does have a good suite of apps I would miss initially but I'll have the most important stuff and who knows, maybe HTC will mobilize its developers to produce apps for W8. Well, maybe that's a bit of a stretch but I'm optimistic.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Nokia does have a good suite of apps I would miss initially but I'll have the most important stuff and who knows, maybe HTC will mobilize its developers to produce apps for W8. Well, maybe that's a bit of a stretch but I'm optimistic.

HTC might need some help from Microsoft!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
HTC might need some help from Microsoft!

My thinking on that is that Microsoft might be more flexible in that exclusivity area where Nokia apps are concerned. HTC as a company wants to survive and not waste their considerable investment in this ecosystem building the W8. I hope Microsoft partners better with HTC and other device builders to make that happen. Again, its my hope.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
My thinking on that is that Microsoft might be more flexible in that exclusivity area where Nokia apps are concerned. HTC as a company wants to survive and not waste their considerable investment in this ecosystem building the W8. I hope Microsoft partners better with HTC and other device builders to make that happen. Again, its my hope.

If all the Nokia apps become Microsoft ones, then they can then go on all phones :)

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Well I remember when ppl were ecstatic about the ativ s. Ppl that appreciated the design of the s3 wanted something different, and most ativ s owners were pretty happy with it! Its pretty safe to say that an m8 design with premium specs/hardware will be enjoyed by those who appreciate the design... Diversity is good.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I think the best way is to make available all those Nokia exclusive apps to other OEMs..! If that happens then HTC might concentrate on releasing some more innovative apps. (Not just for HTC but for everyone).. But it all depends on HTC.. Is HTC ready to do the hard work for Windows Phone?? If the answer is No.. Then this phone will soon be dead.. And if the answer is yes.. Microsoft gets benefited.. HTC gets benefited and we the users gets benefited!
And I really hope the answer is YES!!

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The camera in the M8 is not stellar but then its running android. I hope the WP 8.1 software improves how the images look. But the look and feel of the M8 is the best. Speakers on the front all powered by Wp 8.1will make a real statement.
The camera issues that plague the Android variant will probably be the same on the Windows Phone variant, unless they opt to use a 13 MP sensor.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss