What's so great about the upcoming HTC W8 phone??

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Ah.. Well. I had missed so many points about the HTC. Better music quality, IR blaster, bigger battery to name a few. Design is a preference and I find 930 to be better looking. But still there's a question, will it get support on par with the Lumia. See the 8X, no signs of 8.1 firmware for it while half of the Lumias got Cyan. I know, it's gonna have Update 1 on-board. But what about when update 3 is released. I think Lumia phones have an edge when it comes to support from OEM about future updates. I think with the Pureview camera with OEM support 930 one ups the W8 any time.

Paul Lindqvist

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
well i tested that both with beats urbeats and beats studio and stock htc headphone and in both htc and apple device (5s) managed to beat the Nokia 925 and galaxy s4 they had the best loudness and quality in my opinion (apple was slightly better that HTC)
And i agree with you in lightning part

Not sure what your reference is, but Apple's dac/preamp is nothing special at all, not in their iphones, ipads or imacs period. Beats headphones are hardly the benchmark when it comes to headphones either.

If anything the Nokia Lumia 930 surpass Apples call quality by quite a bit, then again improving on the sound quality or lack there of on Iphone 5C can hardly be seen as an accomplishment.

If the it will be anything like the current Android version, sound quality is certainly not an edge. Unless of course you buy into name like boomsound and like to listen to your phones speaker for music.

Last edited:

Alphamaster32

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what your reference is, but Apple's dac/preamp is nothing special at all, not in their iphones, ipads or imacs period. Beats headphones are hardly the benchmark when it comes to headphones either.

If anything the Nokia Lumia 930 surpass Apples call quality by quite a bit, then again improving on the sound quality or lack there of on Iphone 5C can hardly be seen as an accomplishment.

If the it will be anything like the current Android version, sound quality is certainly not an edge. Unless of course you buy into name like boomsound and like to listen to your phones speaker for music.
I agree every head phone is built for different music genre beats are good for hip-hop and pop (whatever envolves beat) but me myself still think that audio output is best with htc and iphone (every headphone you might wanna guess) but its only an opinion
By the way i broke my beats urbeats (that s**t can't be kept more than 6 months) I'm searching for another headphone but probably won't choose beats because now I'm listening to more rock and metal rather than pop and hip-hop so if you know headphones good for that genre your help is highly appreciated ^o^

Alphamaster32

May 7, 2014
Visit site

I agree with you somehow every headphone is good for a genres like beats for pop and hip-hop (anything that involves beats) but i still think that apple and htc are best in audio output
By the way I broke my beats urbeats (that s**t can't be kept for more than 6 months) so if know any headphones that are good for rock and metal genres you can tell me about it your help would be highly appreciated ^▽^

Alphamaster32

May 7, 2014
Visit site

well i wrote a big answer for you 4 time and this buggy wpcentral app hadn't post that well i give up

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
What's special about it?

Boom Sound for starters. Its amplified speakers are the best I have ever heard before. It's better for earphones than even my Note II with its own Wolfson dacs.

IR blaster. Works great.

801 processor. For the uneducated people who call all Androids lagdroid...there is no lag on mine at all. No stuttering no issues.

Adreno 330 gpu incredibly fast

128 gig sd card support

Super LCD screen with Gorilla Glass3

Zoe

TV out

Active noise cancellation

Duo camera

While the last may not appreciated yet,once people look beyond just using it as a point and shoot camera,its features are very nice.

The M8 is my current device. Yes a Android phone. It is the best phone I have ever had. While not as big of screen as what my1520 had,the colors are drop dead accurate and text is exceptionally crisp and clear.

Call quality and reception is phenomenal

WiFi is the absolute best of any cellphones I have ever had.

Build quality is the best as well. Better than any including any Apple iPhones I have owned.

The question is will it be as great with WP. This I don't have a good answer for. I truly hope it is,for WP fans.

Will HTC support it like they have for the Android version ? There's no reason for them not to. It has the latest components in it.It's not a issue with this.Microsoft has approved it,and should know if it can be supported through Threshold,if it can't be,then that is on them.

Will Microsoft developers be allowed to take advantage of its components,or will they be constrained? Again that is going to be up to Microsoft.

Verizon has a tremendous customer base and putting this phone with on their network here in the USA is a smart move in getting a current flagship WP there. It's got a lot of fans as it is right now.

The real fly in the ointment is going to be how much Verizon and Microsoft promotes it,both in-store and in the media...Also if those who review the phone including the writers here utilize the camera in the way it was designed to be used. If these reviewers don't know how to use the camera,they shouldn't diss it because of this. It's perfectly fine to discuss and share it's weaknesses,but,do the same for it's strengths as well. In other words be objective about it. This way people can see what those of us who have it already know about it.

I will say this. It is the only phone I would ever consider coming back to WP for if Microsoft can fix the issues I have with the os. Lastly,don't believe all the rhetoric about it's camera that many have stated. Go over to the sister site Android Central,go to the HTC m8 forum,and in the stickies look for the dedicated picture thread and actually look at the pictures this camera is capable of taking. Then decide if it's good enough. I'll be uploading my pictures as soon as I am able.

Sorry....1 last thing. This phone has the best cases and glass screen protectors available for it. One thing most WP have been lacking in.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

kevin hill3

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I own a 920 and HTC one M7, I love the Windows phone OS and use the 920 90% of the time but I really love the design and feel of the M7 and you can not beat the speaker's on the M7. I am no camera expert I can tell no difference in picture quality between the two phone, but I do know the M7 has a lot faster focus and shutter speeds over the 920, I do not buy my phones for the camera's. The Nokia design is getting a bit tired and the M7 feel great in your hand and the M8 has the same feel, the only thing that gives me trouble about buying a new HTC M8 windows phone would be the updates and the Nokia app's but there is always trade offs to everything, as it stands right now I would get the new HTC if it was offered on AT&T.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
What is the special thing that the phone will have which the Lumia 930 doesn't have, seeing the hype for it. I mean, with Lumia you get better support. See the 8X situation about the updates. Also it's gonna be some crappy camera like it's Android counterpart, or even if it is 13MP, it won't be a match for 930. Then what is that special thing the hype I'm seeing for that phone??
Can you buy the 930 on VZW? No you cannot, even if the 930 and Icon are pretty closely related. Therefore, saying the 930 offers x, y, and z means nothing to a VZW customer and/or someone who needs a phone in an area where VZW offers the best (or only) coverage. Yes, such places do exist.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
What is the special thing that the phone will have which the Lumia 930 doesn't have, seeing the hype for it. I mean, with Lumia you get better support. See the 8X situation about the updates. Also it's gonna be some crappy camera like it's Android counterpart, or even if it is 13MP, it won't be a match for 930. Then what is that special thing the hype I'm seeing for that phone??

That it's actually the best Android phone into a Windows Phone. I love the design, speakers, display, etc. Camera is not amazing though. With the 930, it is basically the Icon, which came out such a long time ago, and it is clunky, heavy, and only on Verizon for the US. Sadly, it seems this will be only on Verizon too, and even the 830 will. It seems Windows Phones only come out as exclusives, bothers the hell out me me...

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Why are u guys arguing this matter....if people are willing to buy the HTC windows phone, let them buy. Isn't it a win win situation?

I'll rather have the windows phone platform grow than to be a Nokia or HTC loyalist.

Thank you! I got the 920 instead of the 8X, as I thought it was better, but I think the W8 is better than the 930. Whenever I say that in the comments in the blog posts, people just rage at me. Huge Nokia fanboys, lol.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
What's special about it?

Boom Sound for starters. Its amplified speakers are the best I have ever heard before. It's better for earphones than even my Note II with its own Wolfson dacs.

IR blaster. Works great.

801 processor. For the uneducated people who call all Androids lagdroid...there is no lag on mine at all. No stuttering no issues.

Adreno 330 gpu incredibly fast

128 gig sd card support

Super LCD screen with Gorilla Glass3

Zoe

TV out

Active noise cancellation

Duo camera

While the last may not appreciated yet,once people look beyond just using it as a point and shoot camera,its features are very nice.

The M8 is my current device. Yes a Android phone. It is the best phone I have ever had. While not as big of screen as what my1520 had,the colors are drop dead accurate and text is exceptionally crisp and clear.

Call quality and reception is phenomenal

WiFi is the absolute best of any cellphones I have ever had.

Build quality is the best as well. Better than any including any Apple iPhones I have owned.

The question is will it be as great with WP. This I don't have a good answer for. I truly hope it is,for WP fans.

Will HTC support it like they have for the Android version ? There's no reason for them not to. It has the latest components in it.It's not a issue with this.Microsoft has approved it,and should know if it can be supported through Threshold,if it can't be,then that is on them.

Will Microsoft developers be allowed to take advantage of its components,or will they be constrained? Again that is going to be up to Microsoft.

Verizon has a tremendous customer base and putting this phone with on their network here in the USA is a smart move in getting a current flagship WP there. It's got a lot of fans as it is right now.

The real fly in the ointment is going to be how much Verizon and Microsoft promotes it,both in-store and in the media...Also if those who review the phone including the writers here utilize the camera in the way it was designed to be used. If these reviewers don't know how to use the camera,they shouldn't diss it because of this. It's perfectly fine to discuss and share it's weaknesses,but,do the same for it's strengths as well. In other words be objective about it. This way people can see what those of us who have it already know about it.

I will say this. It is the only phone I would ever consider coming back to WP for if Microsoft can fix the issues I have with the os. Lastly,don't believe all the rhetoric about it's camera that many have stated. Go over to the sister site Android Central,go to the HTC m8 forum,and in the stickies look for the dedicated picture thread and actually look at the pictures this camera is capable of taking. Then decide if it's good enough. I'll be uploading my pictures as soon as I am able.

Sorry....1 last thing. This phone has the best cases and glass screen protectors available for it. One thing most WP have been lacking in.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

​That Verizon exclusive though. :(

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
It's great that HTC are bringing this to the WP platform. We need some high profile OEMs on board to help push WP in America...

I've got a 1520, so I'm sorted for a while yet. Best WP phone, and that will include the W8. I mean, I may not have Boomsound, but I have 5.1 Dolby Audio recording in videos. An 801 Snapdragon is 300 Mhz faster than the 'old' 800. It';s neglible!!!

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Currently rocking the icon for the great camera. I have seen some of those pics you mentioned and agree they are damn decent. I had the M7 before I decided to try WP and loved it. I surely would have gotten the M8 if not for coming over to WP. I will be very tempted by this new HTC and have always thought their build quality was top shelf. It may be hard for me to resist even at full retail. Looking forward to some real user reviews.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's great that it'll only be available on Verizon. The airs of exclusivity will make everyone want it (but they can't get it, ha-ha!), which just feels so much better and is more satisfying than just letting everyone buy it and making a bunch of money.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Numbers in Audio mean nothing, they are just another way for manufacturers to sell stuff to people who care about something that they cant hear anyway. Hearing is all subjective, we all have a preference for types of sound which vary and differ from each other. Advice is to go and listen to each device and make a decision that way. What's more important, trying to 'improve' the sound or listening to the music?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
It's great that HTC are bringing this to the WP platform. We need some high profile OEMs on board to help push WP in America...

I've got a 1520, so I'm sorted for a while yet. Best WP phone, and that will include the W8. I mean, I may not have Boomsound, but I have 5.1 Dolby Audio recording in videos. An 801 Snapdragon is 300 Mhz faster than the 'old' 800. It';s neglible!!!
Would love to see reviews of performance on the w8 and m8 side by side. No more windows seems to run faster on less software, but wow windows os really does run faster and smoother than google look at the HTC phone!

Alphamaster32

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure of benchmarking is possible on win phone cause only benchmark app is antutu and that thing wont benchmark 3D performance because of some wp restrictions (liars it just takes some work ) so its not possible comparing that to a M8 cause 3d somehow scores 9000 of the whole benchmark

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss