01-02-2015 02:12 AM
91 1234
tools
    How about a Lumia 1030 with a Snapdragon 808 or Snapdragon 810 processor and 64 bit operating system ? It's not like it's out of the realm of possibility. It would cost a pretty penny, but it would be a flagship camera phone after all.
    THIS !!!

Who knows they are already working on these Processors.
    Nokia / MS were let down by the hardware they introduced with the WP 8 phones,were criticized being old.
    But since WP 8.1 I think they will bring the best Hardware to the tables, can already see since the 1520 was launched.
    BilalSoomro17 likes this.
    08-27-2014 02:23 AM
    iPhone had better Flash ? this just made me laugh. Your comparing xenon to LED xD
    HDR auto ? 1020 and 808 have great dynamic range. HDR was'nt much issue, look at the pic attached

Natural colors i think, 1020 has good colors on it too.

I agree on slow shot to shot times, but their are people who are OK with it.
    Yellow tint yes, but their are ways to deal with it if you know.

Overall you forgot about the camera interface introduced with the 1020 ? many OEMs have started to follow it recently, some company ripped it straight like Nokia.
    Xenon flash is farr supirior than LED, any photographer can tell you about it.

If you feel 1020 was just about Zoom, our conversation just ends here.
    So it's buggy and annoying for many users but that's okay because there are "ways to deal with it" (funny that you don't mention even one of these alleged ways...).

Nobody denies that the 1020 is pretty much the most powerful cameraphone ever. However, there are other things that matter. Because the 1020's camera is slow, it is unsuitable for spontaneous shots (e.g if you see something cool or if you have a kid). The iPhone 5S takes good pictures. And the 1020 takes even better ones, true. But a good-enough picture from an iPhone is better than no picture with a 1020.

Think of it this way, ignoring costs for a second. Nobody denies that a Ferrari is better than a Corolla. But take that Ferrari into traffic and you're as slow as the slowest car on the road. Or, would you use a Ferrari to go around the corner to get groceries? No, you wouldn't, and that doesn't make the Ferrari a bad car. Just that the Toyota is good enough for most people's purposes - reliable, fuel efficient and so on. Similarly, the iPhone 5S takes reliably fast snaps which aren't of course as good as those of the 1020, but they're good enough.
    Gergolos and jojoe42 like this.
    08-27-2014 03:53 AM
    So it's buggy and annoying for many users but that's okay because there are "ways to deal with it" (funny that you don't mention even one of these alleged ways...).

Nobody denies that the 1020 is pretty much the most powerful cameraphone ever. However, there are other things that matter. Because the 1020's camera is slow, it is unsuitable for spontaneous shots (e.g if you see something cool or if you have a kid). The iPhone 5S takes good pictures. And the 1020 takes even better ones, true. But a good-enough picture from an iPhone is better than no picture with a 1020.

Think of it this way, ignoring costs for a second. Nobody denies that a Ferrari is better than a Corolla. But take that Ferrari into traffic and you're as slow as the slowest car on the road. Or, would you use a Ferrari to go around the corner to get groceries? No, you wouldn't, and that doesn't make the Ferrari a bad car. Just that the Toyota is good enough for most people's purposes - reliable, fuel efficient and so on. Similarly, the iPhone 5S takes reliably fast snaps which aren't of course as good as those of the 1020, but they're good enough.
    Your right bro...
    McLaren was supposed to be the 1020 successor, was going to get it.
    But Dreams were shattered, Hope MS/Nokia come with a bang for the 1020 successor.

Waiting for that now.
    NokiaBeast likes this.
    08-27-2014 04:01 AM
    I just had the "privilege" of borrowing an iphone 5s while my 1020 was sent in for repairs. While i agree the iphone 5s takes pictures fast, the quality of the picture is subpar to say the least. Boring, dull and noisy to say the least.

But FAST

Glad to have my 1020 back
    amrut_m likes this.
    08-27-2014 04:02 AM
    iPhone had better Flash ? this just made me laugh. Your comparing xenon to LED xD
    HDR auto ? 1020 and 808 have great dynamic range. HDR was'nt much issue, look at the pic attached
    Attachment 78595

Natural colors i think, 1020 has good colors on it too.

I agree on slow shot to shot times, but their are people who are OK with it.
    Yellow tint yes, but their are ways to deal with it if you know.

Overall you forgot about the camera interface introduced with the 1020 ? many OEMs have started to follow it recently, some company ripped it straight like Nokia.
    Xenon flash is farr supirior than LED, any photographer can tell you about it.

If you feel 1020 was just about Zoom, our conversation just ends here.
    Those photos weren't taken on a tripod. But other than that, the Xenon flash may have been brighter than the 5S's flash but not as accurate in maintaining skin tones. The yellow tint people report in their photos is often because of the Xenon flash.

HDR is still needed.
    08-27-2014 05:33 AM
    How about a Lumia 1030 with a Snapdragon 808 or Snapdragon 810 processor and 64 bit operating system ? It's not like it's out of the realm of possibility. It would cost a pretty penny, but it would be a flagship camera phone after all.
    i would buy that phone, must record at 60fps,
    ​i don't mind the price
    08-27-2014 05:58 AM
    Those photos weren't taken on a tripod. But other than that, the Xenon flash may have been brighter than the 5S's flash but not as accurate in maintaining skin tones. The yellow tint people report in their photos is often because of the Xenon flash.

HDR is still needed.
    You mean to say all those who click pics should always carry a TRIPOD ?
    As far as xenon flash, I never talked about the brightness ?
    flash.jpg
    Which Picture would you choose ?

No Doubt HDR is needed, but the 1020 (also 808) handles the lighting situations to a great extent. 1020 Successor will have the HDR so dont worry.

I doubt how many Actual cameras use HDRs ?
    can anyone answer it ?
    ScruffyT likes this.
    08-27-2014 06:15 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flash.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	78602

No Doubt HDR is needed, but the 1020 (also 808) handles the lighting situations to a great extent. 1020 Successor will have the HDR so dont worry.

can anyone answer it ?
    Just as a reply to your HDR question, yes many of us use it. Turning on HDR helps in heavily backlit areas and HDR+ on my Nexus 5 also preserves more detail with less noise.

The 1020 had a very amazing camera but it was wayy too slow, let's hope 1030 fixes that.
    08-27-2014 06:40 AM
    Actually, no. While people agree that the Lumia 1020 had a great camera sensor, many people don't think that it was the best cameraphone out there. Because a cameraphone experience isn't just based on how good the phone can zoom, it also depends on what features the camera has to offer and how fast it is.

The Verge declares the iPhone 5S as the best cameraphone out there, and rightfully so. It snaps photos lightning fast, it has slow-mo, better flash, HDR Auto, and much more natural colors than a 1020 does, not to mention the huge amount of people complaining about a yellow tint in their photos taken with the 1020.

David Rahimi explained this pretty well in one of his videos, he said that the benefit of 4K is that if you record videos of your life in 4K they'll look great even when played back years later, when 4K becomes more and more common. You should also keep in mind that many of the phones that have 4K, also have 60 FPS 1080p, something that no Windows Phone has yet.

And 1020 didn't sell all that well either.
    First, the verge is pretty well known for leaning Apple. There's been so much controversy at that site, it's not even funny. Second, if you go by the gsmarena camera shootout (a site I actually consider pretty objective) the iPhone 5s comes in dead last against the 1020 and all the higher end android phones. The 1020 is clearly the winner when it comes to pictures and even features. Actually, based on pretty much all reviews and comparisons, the 1020 seems to have more features than the 5s's camera. Its only downside is the video camera; though, it has the mics, OIS, and low light as its saving grace in that area.

The connect[dot]dpreview article "Smartphones versus DSLRs versus film: A look at how far we've come" is also worth looking at. IMO, these are articles/reviews that actually took the time to go fuklly in depth and appear to be as objective as one can find online these days.

Really, as far as I can tell, IMO, the only reall conceding point the 1020 has to the 5s is the camera speed. But I don't think everyone will agree that makes the 5s the better camera phone. I don't and my posts should indicate I'm craving better processing speeds for the 10/1520.

Nobody denies that the 1020 is pretty much the most powerful cameraphone ever. However, there are other things that matter. Because the 1020's camera is slow, it is unsuitable for spontaneous shots (e.g if you see something cool or if you have a kid). The iPhone 5S takes good pictures. And the 1020 takes even better ones, true. But a good-enough picture from an iPhone is better than no picture with a 1020...
    Well, to be fair, the iPhone 5s has had its fair share of problems that one could rant about as well. For example, the camera crashing has been pretty notorious as well as the yellow screen tint which would affect viewing of pictures.

can anyone answer it ?
    My above replies are actually mostly based off the gsmarena shootout. The interesting thing is that even without hdr, the 1020 ended up winning that category.
    08-27-2014 07:24 AM
    Just as a reply to your HDR question, yes many of us use it. Turning on HDR helps in heavily backlit areas and HDR+ on my Nexus 5 also preserves more detail with less noise.

The 1020 had a very amazing camera but it was wayy too slow, let's hope 1030 fixes that.
    I mean Proper Cameras not Smartphone cameras
    HDR is a good option where the camera is not able to handle the scene perfectly.
    But their are times the scene looks Fake.
    08-27-2014 07:32 AM
    But their are times the scene looks Fake.
    Agree... Many HDR pictures I've seen have a dark Sun behind and the scene captured looks unrealistically bright because of the HDR.
    amrut_m and Karthik Naik like this.
    08-27-2014 07:36 AM
    Nokia Lumia 1020 wins CES Innovation and Engineering Design Award in Digital Imaging Category 2014
    http://thepockettech.com/nokia-lumia...s-awards-2014/
    ScruffyT and amrut_m like this.
    08-27-2014 08:07 AM
    Yes because in December We will get Update which will make Snapdragon 805 Work on Windows Phone and Only Snapdragon 805 can handle 41 Megapixel fine 801 and 800 Can't.
    Wasn't Nokia using 41mp Pureview way back on a Symbian phone? The N900???? That used a hamster cage processor.
    08-27-2014 08:31 AM
    But Nokia spent a lot of years creating the technology used in the Pureview 808 and 1020, I'm pretty sure they are working on a possible 1030 but they will need some way to reduce the cost, which might involve using a older SOCs, or reducing the display quality to 720p.
    Nokia is indeed working on camera tech which will be made available for licensing just like the PureView tech, which also belongs to Nokia. However, Nokia is working on camera-related tech focused on Android. Not Windows Phone.

So what you want to know is: is Microsoft's R&D team working on camera tech for a potential 1030 and what kind of camera tech are they working on. They are licensing the PureView tech (as they bought the "PureView" brand) from Nokia, but they have to build upon that technology because Nokia isn't working with the same aim now.
    08-27-2014 10:22 AM
    Wasn't Nokia using 41mp Pureview way back on a Symbian phone? The N900???? That used a hamster cage processor.
    The N808 had a 41-MP camera, and that was a Symbian phone. Won tons of awards, that one. From what I hear it was not only a great camera, but a great device altogether.
    08-27-2014 10:29 AM
    I'm waiting with bated breath, hoping for a any network option, since I use T-Mobile
    08-27-2014 10:31 AM
    Yes because in December We will get Update which will make Snapdragon 805 Work on Windows Phone and Only Snapdragon 805 can handle 41 Megapixel fine 801 and 800 Can't.
    br4ed44386.jpg
    Guytronic likes this.
    08-27-2014 01:07 PM
    Nokia is indeed working on camera tech which will be made available for licensing just like the PureView tech, which also belongs to Nokia. However, Nokia is working on camera-related tech focused on Android. Not Windows Phone.

So what you want to know is: is Microsoft's R&D team working on camera tech for a potential 1030 and what kind of camera tech are they working on. They are licensing the PureView tech (as they bought the "PureView" brand) from Nokia, but they have to build upon that technology because Nokia isn't working with the same aim now.
    thats just sad and lame, Pureview should be WPs secret weapon forever,why should evil google get their hands on it
    WP carries on the legacy of symbian,maemo/meego and Windows Mobile and WP7
    5 Operating systems which ruled the world before android and ios and the best of each OS has made it into WP8.1(some are yet to feature though :( )
    nokia has always been my favourite brand and ive seen symbian,meego/maemo etc stumble because Elop stopped it at the last minute instead of letting the platforms mature
    history shouldnt repeat itself,nokia should continue being WP exclusive
    08-27-2014 01:24 PM
    just fyi you are wrong, the 808 pureview was the 41mp symbian,the N900 ran Maemo not symbian,it was a decently powered device not slow like you exagerate
    08-27-2014 01:25 PM
    Why does everyone assume the 1020's (or an improved) sensor will cost so much more? How much more did the 1020 cost than other phones with the same specs? Not much...
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. The sensor in itself may not be that expensive, but the high-quality Zeiss lenses aren't cheap, and they're coupled with some rather amazing OIS technology.

Looking at prices for spare parts, the Lumia 1020 camera module always seem to be twice as expensive or more.

At Parts4Repair it's $45 for the 1020 module vs $18 for the 1520 module.

At Stellatech it's €139 for the 1020 module vs €70 for the 1520 module.

While we don't know the actual bulk component costs for Nokia, it's fair to assume they didn't skimp on the hardware just to raise the profit margins. They had probably already reached the maximum reasonable total component cost.
    08-27-2014 02:12 PM

can anyone answer it ?
    Any reason why you chose to show images at different zooms? That is hardly a fair comparison...
    08-27-2014 03:27 PM
    Tom Warren from The Verge had reported the 1020 successor wont have 41 mp, It does'nt mean the camera will be bad.
    Is this recent? I know he said McLaren wouldn't, but that was back when it was rumored that McLaren was the 1030. Since McLaren with its non-41 MP camera is fortunately not the 1030, I hope the actual 1030 will have the full 41 MP (at least) camera.
    08-27-2014 03:50 PM
    Is this recent? I know he said McLaren wouldn't, but that was back when it was rumored that McLaren was the 1030. Since McLaren with its non-41 MP camera is fortunately not the 1030, I hope the actual 1030 will have the full 41 MP (at least) camera.
    It was during the 5th of June he mentioned it. Before we even had the McLaren details.

But the main point remains; Nokia seemed to think they could achieve a greater imaging performance with a different technical approach than obscene oversampling.
    I'm excited to see what that new approach was and how much better it performs, because zooming in on the 38MP image always deteriorated image quality. In less-than-optimal conditions you couldn't zoom at all. The pixels are there for oversampling, not zooming.
    08-27-2014 05:15 PM
    The 1020 can zoom a lot better than the 920 can, but digital zoom will always have to sacrifice something. Losing the oversampling isn't as bad as the image turning to giant pixels. Now if they can lose some of the pixels but reduce their reliance on oversampling to the point that zoomed-in pictures look better anyway, then I'll be happy. But if they make unzoomed pictures look better at the expense of zoom, then I'll be less excited. I'd still get it though.
    08-27-2014 05:38 PM
    The Verge declares the iPhone 5S as the best cameraphone out there, and rightfully so. It snaps photos lightning fast, it has slow-mo, better flash, HDR Auto, and much more natural colors than a 1020 does, not to mention the huge amount of people complaining about a yellow tint in their photos taken with the 1020.
    better flash? 1020's flash is Xenon, way brighter and better than 5S' dual-LED

HDR? read this: http://www.gsmarena.com/camera_shoot...iew-1104p4.php

and the yellow tint gets better after Black update, so it won't be THAT much unnatural compared to the 5S
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    08-27-2014 05:56 PM
91 1234