41 Megapixel Lumia with Snapdragon coming in early 2015

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Their are Flaws, Cons, Positives, Negatives,Awesome things and their are Great things.
Its the way you take it.
No matter what their are very little things that will satisfy you completely.

For me I can live with the shot to shot times, I most of the time shoot in .DNG so yellow tint is'nt a problem for me.

The 1020 and 808 are of those niche devices which are hard to let go,even though they have aged,they are superior.
Even after years, SONY and SAMSUNG who have good knowledge about cameras, are not able to beat the Nokia's 1020/808, heck even the Z series did not touch the 1520 camera's richness.

had high hopes from SONY but disappointment, Samsung just attached a CAMERA to a Phone and called it the K Zoom.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Their are Flaws, Cons, Positives, Negatives,Awesome things and their are Great things.
Its the way you take it.
No matter what their are very little things that will satisfy you completely.

For me I can live with the shot to shot times, I most of the time shoot in .DNG so yellow tint is'nt a problem for me.

The 1020 and 808 are of those niche devices which are hard to let go,even though they have aged,they are superior.
Even after years, SONY and SAMSUNG who have good knowledge about cameras, are not able to beat the Nokia's 1020/808, heck even the Z series did not touch the 1520 camera's richness.

had high hopes from SONY but disappointment, Samsung just attached a CAMERA to a Phone and called it the K Zoom.

Actually, the Xperia Z2 beat the Lumia 1520 in some of the tests I've seen.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
From my understanding, Microsoft bought the people, the patents, and the tech from Nokia. I never looked into it besides the WPCentral stories though.

Actually no.
Microsoft bought the people (well, some of them) and a couple of brands which AREN'T patents but copyrights. Microsoft bough the copyrights to the brands "Lumia", "Asha" and "PureView". They also bought the copyrights for the design portfolio (well, what was left of it anyway).

HOWEVER they did NOT buy any of the patents. The patent portfolio remains entirely with Nokia. They, however, signed licensing deals to use those patents. That doesn't mean, though, that they own the patent. It means only that they'll be using that tech from Nokia legally. Nokia retains the patents and the rights to licensing them to whomever wishes to license it.
Actually, it is very likely that, for example, the PureView tech, may end up on an iPhone as Apple hired one of the former senior leaders of the PureView Team (not all ex-Nokia employees accepted to move to Microsoft).

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Actually no.
Microsoft bought the people (well, some of them) and a couple of brands which AREN'T patents but copyrights. Microsoft bough the copyrights to the brands "Lumia", "Asha" and "PureView". They also bought the copyrights for the design portfolio (well, what was left of it anyway).

HOWEVER they did NOT buy any of the patents. The patent portfolio remains entirely with Nokia. They, however, signed licensing deals to use those patents. That doesn't mean, though, that they own the patent. It means only that they'll be using that tech from Nokia legally. Nokia retains the patents and the rights to licensing them to whomever wishes to license it.
Actually, it is very likely that, for example, the PureView tech, may end up on an iPhone as Apple hired one of the former senior leaders of the PureView Team (not all ex-Nokia employees accepted to move to Microsoft).

Could you provide some links that explain this patent licensing deal?

Could be why they also signed cross patent licensing deal with Canon.

Last edited:

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Could you provide some links that explain this patent licensing deal?

Could be why they also signed cross patent licensing deal with Canon.

All that is part of the proxy materials given to shareholders. Nokia has them online too but I'm not sure if they're still up. But Google "Nokia 2013 extraordinary meeting" and you may still find them.

The cross patent licensing deal with Canon can indeed be related to camera tech. Also, remember Nokia had a close partnership with Carl Zeiss (now just Zeiss). It's not clear that the partnership continued with Microsoft. It's likely that either Zeiss was not interested in partnerships with Microsoft or that Microsoft decided to drop the Zeiss lenses in favour of cheaper ones by Canon that can bring the prices of the phones with them down.
In either case, the partnership with Canon may indicate that they are trying to have something that differentiates them now that PureView will no longer be exclusive, yes.
Let us remember that Microsoft will have to go not only against possible Nokia-imaging-powered handsets, they also have to face Samsung's increased optical capacities as well as the only company that can actually give Nokia cameras a run for their money: Sony.

Carlos002

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
41 Megapixel, would be hard, housing snapdragon, remember this processor are already customized by qualcomm, Microsoft would have to wark hard to push the 41mpx

ScruffyT

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I did.

Then why do keep pushing your "overall" argument so hard. Both of the articles (also probably the two most detailed out there as well) mentioned, in response to your comments, that directly compare the devices come to the exact opposite of your conclusion, even with the faults that you're harping on. And as far as the hdr goes, again, the 5s lost to the 1020, not to mention that is still has a bracketing feature.

I really don't understand. Why can't one of the higher end Android devices be the better overall camera phone considering that they fared better against the 1020's raw capabilities and beat both the 1020 and 5s in the video recording department?

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So my understanding of the 1020 and snapdragon S4 situation is pretty much like how a desktop PC handles graphics. Either the graphics card does it, or the CPU does it. The CPU can render the graphics but it renders it incredibly slow to be completely useless at the task, whereas the graphics card GPU handles it with ease.
Im guessing the same thing happened with the 1020. The snapdragon S4 only supported 20megapixels (im shocked I thought it supported less) so they needed to go the software route to render it off the snapdragon S4 CPU's or whatever other hardware on the SoC it was allowed to access. It explains why the picture taking is super slow.

Throw a snapdragon 805 in a 1020 and it the picture taking abilities would be enormously faster because the dedicated Image processor supports up to 55 megapixels.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Then why do keep pushing your "overall" argument so hard. Both of the articles (also probably the two most detailed out there as well) mentioned, in response to your comments, that directly compare the devices come to the exact opposite of your conclusion, even with the faults that you're harping on. And as far as the hdr goes, again, the 5s lost to the 1020, not to mention that is still has a bracketing feature.

I really don't understand. Why can't one of the higher end Android devices be the better overall camera phone considering that they fared better against the 1020's raw capabilities and beat both the 1020 and 5s in the video recording department?

and salmanahmad, if you took your time to browse the whole article in the link I provided before from the beginning to the end, you should see that your arguments about flash and white balance are also inaccurate

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
i dont believe this, the 5S doesnt take better pics, its uses too much flash when on auto and pics arent as clear as my nexus 5,Z10 ,720 ,820(my dad had a 5S)
nokia doesnt have a slow camera,it depends on the app,proshot and nokia camera need more time to load,microsoft camera is deadly fast to load and take pics and is better for low light as well apparently though it lacks manual controls
as for faster focus on android phones i dont think so,i own a nexus 5 and it takes longer to focus than my other phones,often im left with a blurry image because it decided to refocus again,same with the S5,S4

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Yes because in December We will get Update which will make Snapdragon 805 Work on Windows Phone and Only Snapdragon 805 can handle 41 Megapixel fine 801 and 800 Can't.
There currently is no evidence of a 1030 in development. Although there likely is a follow up, there is nothing but speculation at this point.

Couple of other issues:

You do not need the 805 chipset. HTC has been using their own, separate imaging chipset going back to the Windows Phone 7.5 Titan II (16 MP) back in early 2012. The HTC One (both Android and Windows Phone) also uses this homebrew ISP dubbed simply 'HTC ImageChip' to help them take quick photos. It is also how it can use two cameras at once (aka 'Duo Camera') to do refocus, HDR and 3D images all in Auto mode.

To speed up photo processing, you also do not need a separate chip if you simply redo the imaging architecture for processing e.g. do it in the background.

So besides being just assumptions and speculation, the foundation of this thread is also incorrect. Having said that, I am sure Microsoft and its OEM partners are likely expanding chipset coverage, and sure, new phones are likely to get new chipsets. Doing 4K video clips, etc. though is not contingent upon an 805.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The Verge also says that iPhone 5S is the best cameraphone ever.

Wow. With this statement alone, I can see the word "SHEEP" blinking on your forehead. Someone from the Verge claimed that nothing matches the 5S' picture quality. One simple sentence. No proof, no photo comparisons, no analysis, nothing to back it up, zilch. But that was enough for someone like you to hang onto every word of it.

My arguments about flash and white balance we're correct: iPhone 5s vs. Nokia Lumia 1020 - Camera Shootout - LAPTOP

I'm not sure why you are linking to such an amateurishly done camera comparison. I clicked on the High-Res link to download the original files for further examination. But guess what - the so-called "High Res" files are all highly compressed and are less than 1 Megapixel in resolution! It is also hilarious how the author referred to "iPhone being sharpest but ... there was more cinematic quality in the Lumia". The correct term for this "cinematic" phenomena is "bokeh" or shallow depth of field which is usually the mark of good cameras with large sensors and large apertures. There are other issues but I can't be bothered to list them all out as I think this guy is a joke and I seriously doubt he knows what he is doing.

Anyway Salman. If you are interested in real camera comparisons, you might want to read up well-established reviewers like DPReview. If you don't have the time, here is an extremely brief summary of the scores, 10 being highest:

Lumia 1020: 8.8/10
iPhone 5S: 8.1/10
Xperia Z2: 7.6/10
Galaxy S5: 8.2/10

But you really should try read up on it, that way you would at least have an idea what is the gold standard when it comes to camera comparisons and not get hoodwinked by the Verge's one-liner edict, or some unknown unknown who doesn't know what he is doing.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyway Salman. If you are interested in real camera comparisons, you might want to read up well-established reviewers like DPReview. If you don't have the time, here is an extremely brief summary of the scores, 10 being highest:

Lumia 1020: 8.8/10
iPhone 5S: 8.1/10
Xperia Z2: 7.6/10
Galaxy S5: 8.2/10

DxOMark have different scores;

Nokia Lumia 1020: 74/100
Photo: 79/100
Video: 64/100

Apple iPhone 5S: 76/100
Photo: 78/100
Video: 72/100

Sony Xperia Z2: 79/100
Photo: 81/100
Video: 73/100

Samsung Galaxy S5: 79/100
Photo: 80/100
Video: 79/100

It should be noted that the DxOMark camera tests are done once and only once. They don't renew their test of a mobile device after each software update. They adhere to this rather strictly, which is fair.

Now if we are to continue this fight, grab a baseball bat. Last person to get a concussion wins!

aluminum_bats_0501-md.jpg

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
DxOMark have different scores;

Nokia Lumia 1020: 74/100
Photo: 79/100
Video: 64/100

Apple iPhone 5S: 76/100
Photo: 78/100
Video: 72/100

Sony Xperia Z2: 79/100
Photo: 81/100
Video: 73/100

Samsung Galaxy S5: 79/100
Photo: 80/100
Video: 79/100

It should be noted that the DxOMark camera tests are done once and only once. They don't renew their test of a mobile device after each software update. They adhere to this rather strictly, which is fair.

Now if we are to continue this fight, grab a baseball bat. Last person to get a concussion wins!

View attachment 79479

The DXO tests are riddled with inconsistencies. Just go through the comment sections under the DPReview articles linking to those tests and there are plenty of issues raised by readers. The most obvious issue is that their numeric scores are inconsistent with their own accompanying written narrative. You could have one camera with better narrative (e.g. more pros and less cons) and yet scoring lower. There are also ridiculous results like devices with OIS getting significantly lower score on stabilization than devices without OIS, and xenon flash scoring lower than LED flash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb