Nokia to do away with Lumia brand for Surface brand

shaolen

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
So I went to the AT&T store the other day and asked if they had an upcoming replacement for the 1020. They stated that the Nokia rep was just there the other day and said no there wasn't. He did mention to them however that soon Nokia will be doing away with the Lumia name and will start branding their phones as Surface phones. This bugged me a bunch as I like the Lumia design more than the bulky sharp-edged Surface devices. And we can already see that design incorporated in the Lumia 635. Thanks for nothing Microsoft.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
A Nokia rep? Really? Nokia doesn't even sell phones anymore. Let's say there was a rep there from Microsoft Mobile. First of all, Microsoft is only able to use the Nokia name for a limited time; however they can use the Lumia name for as long as they wish. Some rumors suggest that Surface tablets will be rebranded as Lumia, at least the ARM-based ones. The Intel based ones might remain Surface Pro. This is speculation and not confirmed. No evidence suggests that Lumia phones will be rebranded as Surface although anything is possible in the future. Rebranding does not equate to design changes. We know that Microsoft intends to use the design from the Nokia X series somewhere as well, possibly in a Lumia model.

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
This bugged me a bunch as I like the Lumia design more than the bulky sharp-edged Surface devices. And we can already see that design incorporated in the Lumia 635. Thanks for nothing Microsoft.

Bulky Surface design, really? The Surface Pro 3, running full windows with a Intel core processor, is slimmer than Nokia's (now Microsoft Mobile's) current flagship device, Lumia 930. Actually, it's slimmer than a lot of the Lumia devices. So I'd say that Lumias have the bulky design, with the exception of a few devices.

Last edited:

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure it is a great idea. They have already lost the brand recognition of 'Nokia' and 'Lumia' is the only brand closest to it. Maybe, they are trying to run away from past but, for that, imo, they need to do away with windows branding first. And a bunch of other brand names like internet explorer.

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. I think it is a very good marketing move. The Surface line of Windows devices from Microsoft. That has a nice ring to it and gives a little more oomph to all the devices imo.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3