After today here is what it look like in the US- is this enough?

Svoboda

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I completely disagree. As has been mentioned here over and over, the first wave of WP8 users on AT&T are coming out of contract in November. Now that it is the 2nd week in September and no flagship announcements, not even solid rumors, you've basically laid the foundation for folks to jump to an iPhone 6 or flagship Andriod device because that is all they've seen advertised for months now and there is mass availability.

I was in the AT&T store on Sunday and they are down to three models on the shelves -- the 635, the 1020 and the 1520. Even if you add in the rumored 830, that leaves WP users very few options when renewing, especially if you're not interested in the larger form factor. It's not Apple that Microsoft/Nokia should be worried about -- this is all self inflicted.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Guys, look historically. Microsoft announces phones like 2 weeks before they release. I have that worried tick as well that we won't have a flagship device but I am keeping faith. It would be utterly stupid to announce a flagship phone around the release of Iphone 6. I think we will hear something beginning of October in regards to a watch and new flagship phone. And they will release probe beginning of November. I'm hoping and praying this is the case cause my contract is up and I desperately want out of my 928 and nothing on the market now is worth a 2 year contract on. Well, maybe the 1520 but I'm on Verizon. So Microsoft better be doing something!

I will be a little angry if all of this delay is over a stupid smartwatch. 920 customers are going off contract very soon. I like my 920, but I was planning on handing it down to my mother-in-law when I get a new phone, but Nokia and at&t aren't announcing anything.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
It's barely a year old.

I think Rdubmu meant the internals are two years old. In technological terms, that's something you may discover during an archaeological excavation next to a Tyrannosaurus Rex bone and the first fire ever invented by mankind.

I'll be very surprised and disappointed if a 10xx and/or 15xx model phone isn't released.

Microsoft has been quoted as saying they're not going to release devices just for the sake of releasing devices. They'll only release devices when said devices actually bring something new to the market. That essentially means we'll probably have to wait for a bit, but once they do release something we are unlikely to be disappointed.

gbhhbg

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
You're either in the game or you're not. If MS does not come out quick with some high end phones they will forever fade into obscurity (almost there now). They lack sufficient ranges of current phones and totally lack marketing. I'm only going to wait so long before I give up hope and go to the iphone 6. 1520, way too big for me. Icon- don't want Verizon. Plus, the Icon is heavier and thicker than the iphone 6. All of the Windows phones are bricks except the HTC One M8. If only it had a better camera I'd own it now- might even go with Verizon.

Last edited:

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
My 920 contract is almost up. I'm actually eligible for an upgrade. ATT is trying to get me into a 6+. I just think that Microsoft is insane to not have a new flagship available for when an old flagship contract ends.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
My 920 contract is almost up. I'm actually eligible for an upgrade. ATT is trying to get me into a 6+. I just think that Microsoft is insane to not have a new flagship available for when an old flagship contract ends.

I'm eligible as well on ATT with a 920. I'm going to try and be patient to see if something is in the pipeline for the holiday season. Hopefully there will be done devices or since rumors about threshold devices that will make me wait.

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
How are you guys eligible already? I got a 920 from att at launch and I'm not eligible for an upgrade until like 11/8/14.

Att wants an extra $250 to upgrade now.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
How are you guys eligible already? I got a 920 from att at launch and I'm not eligible for an upgrade until like 11/8/14.

Att wants an extra $250 to upgrade now.

technically im not due to upgrade until nov 12th, but they give you the option to upgrade early through the ATT next plan which im not doing.

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
As much as I hate to say it, if there is no new high end windows phone by December, I'm probably going to get something else.

Seriously Microsoft, what are you guys thinking?

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
As much as I hate to say it, if there is no new high end windows phone by December, I'm probably going to get something else.

Seriously Microsoft, what are you guys thinking?

I'm in the same boat. The battery on my 920 is shot. I get about an hour's worth of use and about 10hours of standby. I can't wait 6 months for a new phone.

SpartanJet

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft lack of CURRENT (< 6 months old) high end phones caused me to order an iPhone 6 plus and a lost sale for WP. All I needed was even a rumor to wait for the 1525 but I really doubt we will see it this year (or it will come with the older Snapdragon 801 rather than 805 which would turn me off as well). They really needed a high end presence to combat the Note 4 and iPhone 6 plus. I have trouble understanding their strategy in the mobile market.

Without a high end phone there is no interest generated for Windows Phone. Without any interest the app support will continue to lag behind its competitors. Without the app support people wont be interested in WP. Its a vicious circle.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft lack of CURRENT (< 6 months old) high end phones caused me to order an iPhone 6 plus and a lost sale for WP. All I needed was even a rumor to wait for the 1525 but I really doubt we will see it this year (or it will come with the older Snapdragon 801 rather than 805 which would turn me off as well). They really needed a high end presence to combat the Note 4 and iPhone 6 plus. I have trouble understanding their strategy in the mobile market.

Without a high end phone there is no interest generated for Windows Phone. Without any interest the app support will continue to lag behind its competitors. Without the app support people wont be interested in WP. Its a vicious circle.

If it's newer specifications you want, I have no idea why you went for an iPhone 6 Plus. We're talking about a far slower processor than the Snapdragon 801, less RAM than the 1520, less storage than the 1520, same resolution as the 1520, bigger bezels, a lower-resolution camera with (preliminary results) worse performance than the 1520 and a smaller battery than the 1520. Current reports are also that it bends really easily in your pocket (due to the thin aluminium frame), unlike the 1520.

It's thinner, and that's it. What you pay a lot of money for is for the logo on the back and a solid ecosystem. Don't fool yourself that you bought a phone with the latest specifications just because it says "2014" on the paper. It's even cheaper for Apple to build than all the other flagship phones, they just have a far larger profit margin.

As for the other manufacturers, nothing so far has been really impressive. They have released some slight evolutionary increments from their previous generations, but nothing that would ever wow an audience. There have been no computational cameras, no 3D touch interface, no holographic projections, no foldable screens. The most impressive thing we've seen this year is arguably the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge, and even that isn't slated for release until 2015, when Microsoft is planning their flagships.

So I for one can forgive Microsoft for holding their releases until they can actually bring us a good product rather than what we've seen from the other manufacturers.

SpartanJet

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
If it's newer specifications you want, I have no idea why you went for an iPhone 6 Plus. We're talking about a far slower processor than the Snapdragon 801, less RAM than the 1520, less storage than the 1520, same resolution as the 1520, bigger bezels, a lower-resolution camera with (preliminary results) worse performance than the 1520 and a smaller battery than the 1520. Current reports are also that it bends really easily in your pocket (due to the thin aluminium frame), unlike the 1520.

It's thinner, and that's it. What you pay a lot of money for is for the logo on the back and a solid ecosystem. Don't fool yourself that you bought a phone with the latest specifications just because it says "2014" on the paper. It's even cheaper for Apple to build than all the other flagship phones, they just have a far larger profit margin.

As for the other manufacturers, nothing so far has been really impressive. They have released some slight evolutionary increments from their previous generations, but nothing that would ever wow an audience. There have been no computational cameras, no 3D touch interface, no holographic projections, no foldable screens. The most impressive thing we've seen this year is arguably the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge, and even that isn't slated for release until 2015, when Microsoft is planning their flagships.

So I for one can forgive Microsoft for holding their releases until they can actually bring us a good product rather than what we've seen from the other manufacturers.

I'm really not sure where you are seeing benchmarks showing the Snapdragon 800 or 801 is better than the A8 other than perhaps some synthetic benchmarks where a quad core would beat a dual core. I have not seen any direct benchmarks tests on the 1520 vs iPhone 6 + but at Anaddtech they have several ADroid Snapdragon 801 vs the iPhone 6 + comes out on top in everything but 3DMark physics which is due to the quad vs dual core here. I can't post a link but its on their front page under iPhone 6 preliminary results.

I'd never touch an ADroid phone which is why I was really hoping for a new Windows phone. I couldn't go for the 1520 because my carrier does not support it (Tmo US) which means no Wifi calling which is critical for me. Not to mention the though of paying full price for a year old phone which is ancient in phone years was not appealing. Many apps that I use every day are not on Windows Phone which I was willing to overlook had a 1525 been announced. My cable company has a full cable on the go app for iOS only so now I can watch TV on the road. I enjoy playing blizzards hearthstone which I can play on my iPhone 6 + now while I commute. My bank has apps for iOS not for Windows Phone. I can probably name another 10 apps that I use often that aren't on Windows phone.

In the end my choice for an iPhone 6 + was easy and logical. I do not use any of google """"free"""" services and I will never own another ADroid. That left me with only one choice for a new phone with my carriers support, the performance I wanted, Wifi calling, and the apps that I want. One day Microsoft will get its mobile act together, I was really hoping it would have been in the near future but I gave up waiting. I hope to hop on board next year if Microsoft releases a 5.5+ phone with CURRENT top of the line processors.

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to talk myself into a 1520.3 on T-Mobile but it's just so damn huge. I went to the MS store and handled one and it feels comically large.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers