Jo Harlow hinting at upcoming imaging flagships

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I know there are a few doubters that claim Microsoft may not release any further imaging flagships after the take-over.

Jo Harlow, the corporate vice president of the phone business, recently hinted at the Devices & Services division carrying on work on imaging flagships and computational photography though, meaning we could well be seeing another high-end imaging flagship from the phone division in the future.
"Absolutely - we're not end of the mission in camera technology, or in computational photography.

"We continue to invest in that area to bring the next greatest thing in high end imaging."

There is at this time no details on what technology to expect or in what time frame. If a statement from the Pelican Imaging CEO is still accurate, we could be looking at a Q1-Q2 2015 release, coinciding well with the planned Threshold release.
"Pelican Imaging's 16-lens camera could arrive in Q1-Q2 2015: 'digital imaging has run out of gas'"

As you may remember, the Threshold release is also the target for Microsoft's flagship engineering efforts. All the higher-ups seem to hint at the same time-frame which adds credibility to the idea of a true flagship/hero device launching from Microsoft during Q1-Q2 2015.
"Microsoft’s devices group is planning to "shift our flagship engineering efforts towards new flagship products timed with the next release of Windows and Windows Phone," meaning we’ll likely see even more high-end Windows Phones for the release of codename "Threshold" next year."

ACynicalLamp

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I've been wondering if they're going for a more unified Lumia line. Such as having less phones for so many niches. That would help the consumer choose since people tend to get intimidated with too many choices.

In example, combining the 1020 and 920 and 730 FFC into one super flagship phone. (I know about the 930 or an 810 SoC blah blah shut up not the point)

That would allow them to tackle pretty much every niche with one phone and make it the go to device for windows phone. (Someone is going to make a price comment)

Perhaps this could be the speculated Surface phone?

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
In example, combining the 1020 and 920 and 730 FFC into one super flagship phone. (I know about the 930 or an 810 SoC blah blah shut up not the point)

That would allow them to tackle pretty much every niche with one phone and make it the go to device for windows phone. (Someone is going to make a price comment)

I feel like Microsoft is in a catch-22 with this.

1) Releasing a hero device at low margins would likely win Microsoft a considerable market share, and would make flagship phones on the Windows Phone platform popularised. But doing so would make them lose their supporting OEM's due to unreasonable competition from Microsoft.
As such they lose lose traction and market share.

2) Not releasing a hero device would leave Microsoft in a state where they lose popularity due to lacking hardware. This would in turn make them lose OEM's because of the low popularity and profitability for Windows Phone. They've already lost Huawei this way.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I still hope they'll go for a hero device in the shape of a Lumia 1030, but it isn't exactly an easy decision for Microsoft.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just to fan these flames a little more; the guys over at TKTechnews seem to think there might be a direct 1020 successor inline for the holidays. I don't know what their track record is like with Nokia devices, but they've done well with recent Motorola predictions, which buys them a little credibility in my book.

Nokia by Microsoft trying to finish Nokia 41MP pureview successor before holidays | TK Tech News

Really good news. I think that they're considered fairly reliable because they actually pay for their leaks. Here's to hoping for a flagship 1020 successor on all major carriers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon