10-09-2014 09:33 AM
88 1234
tools
    I was charging my phone (Lumia 520), then I had drop my phone from 1 meter high by accident, and the shell opened, the battery pop out from the phone, everything is fine. I put everything up and I saw NO SCRATCH, CURVED or anything else, it doesn't have much change, only noticeable change is when I shake, drop, put it on the table with lots of power, it auto restart (due to the battery popped out when dropped, the battery connector have moved at bit I think)
    09-26-2014 05:21 PM
    My opinion is that they should use premium materials all around in some models

In all fairness, the main counter to using an all metal body is the wireless charging. Well I don't see it as being as important as most do. Yeah, it's cool and all, but all in all it's really just not that useful unless you're lazy to no end and you can't be bothered with something as simple as pulling out the cable from the phone.

On the other hand, people do like for their phones to look good. Hell, if the One was available on my country right now and I had the money I'd pull the trigger in no time even though I hate big screens with a passion. And this has been a problem with Windows Phones ever since the Titan, Lumia 900 and others. They're bulky, thick and with big bezels. The only reasonably sized WP I've seen until now was the 925 and I believe it could be even smaller if it had an all metal body.

I'm not saying to ditch the wireless charging forever, but it's a sacrifice that should be made in some models. If you don't believe me, let me ask you why do you think so many people with no knowledge of technology go for the iPhone when they could spend much less on a mid-end Android or WP and be well served? It's not always about the apps or being iSheep. They buy it because it looks good (or at least it used to, now it's just fugly), because no matter how you hate it, it feels good to hold. Hell, I'm not a particular fan and I love to hold any iPhone after the 3Gs. It just feels balanced. Now, I love my 820 to bits, but when I hold it, it doesn't feel like that. It feels like it's too big for what it is. Even reviewers said it...

So, yeah... Yes to metal.
    09-26-2014 07:12 PM
    Personally, I think it's metal that looks cheap, especially after it gets scratched and dented. I don't understand what makes it 'premium'.
    jmshub likes this.
    09-26-2014 07:38 PM
    What is considered premium?

Titanium Alloy? Meteorite?, Adamantium? Diamond glass screen?
    saphire crystal :P
    09-26-2014 10:18 PM
    I could maybe tolerate something like the material used on the Surface tablets, but in all honesty, metal is just not a great material to use for a phone outside of the fact that for some people it has an appealing aesthetic.

Polycarbonate has a nice feel in the hand, is more robust, permits wireless charging and allows for more variety in terms of colour.

I don't mind flourishes of metal, which do give a whiff of premium, but all out metal is not something I personally want to see.
    Karthik Naik and jmshub like this.
    09-27-2014 02:44 AM
    Polycarbonate is far more durable.
    09-27-2014 02:58 AM
    I could maybe tolerate something like the material used on the Surface tablets, but in all honesty, metal is just not a great material to use for a phone outside of the fact that for some people it has an appealing aesthetic.

Polycarbonate has a nice feel in the hand, is more robust, permits wireless charging and allows for more variety in terms of colour.

I don't mind flourishes of metal, which do give a whiff of premium, but all out metal is not something I personally want to see.
    totally agreed
    the form factor and design of the 720 is one of my favourite in any phone so far in terms of usability etc
    09-27-2014 03:07 AM
    Polycarbonate is far more durable.
    yeah and nokias polycarbonate can sustain scratches etc very very well
    samsungs plastic just chips and cracks
    09-27-2014 03:07 AM
    Samsung uses the worst plastic. Nokia's polycarbonate get scratches, but they are hardly visible, you should have a keen eye to observe them, whereas iPhones scratches are visible & looks really bad with such scratches. Nokia's polycarbonate is the best according to me.
    09-27-2014 03:36 AM
    My opinion is that they should use premium materials all around in some models

In all fairness, the main counter to using an all metal body is the wireless charging. Well I don't see it as being as important as most do. Yeah, it's cool and all, but all in all it's really just not that useful unless you're lazy to no end and you can't be bothered with something as simple as pulling out the cable from the phone.

On the other hand, people do like for their phones to look good. Hell, if the One was available on my country right now and I had the money I'd pull the trigger in no time even though I hate big screens with a passion. And this has been a problem with Windows Phones ever since the Titan, Lumia 900 and others. They're bulky, thick and with big bezels. The only reasonably sized WP I've seen until now was the 925 and I believe it could be even smaller if it had an all metal body.

I'm not saying to ditch the wireless charging forever, but it's a sacrifice that should be made in some models. If you don't believe me, let me ask you why do you think so many people with no knowledge of technology go for the iPhone when they could spend much less on a mid-end Android or WP and be well served? It's not always about the apps or being iSheep. They buy it because it looks good (or at least it used to, now it's just fugly), because no matter how you hate it, it feels good to hold. Hell, I'm not a particular fan and I love to hold any iPhone after the 3Gs. It just feels balanced. Now, I love my 820 to bits, but when I hold it, it doesn't feel like that. It feels like it's too big for what it is. Even reviewers said it...

So, yeah... Yes to metal.
    Lumia 820 is same design as Lumia 520 .so it will look cheap.compare it with unibody design lok Lumia 720.best designed mid range Lumia 720.
    09-27-2014 03:38 AM
    Lumia 820 is same design as Lumia 520 .so it will look cheap.compare it with unibody design lok Lumia 720.best designed mid range Lumia 720.
    520/820 are totally different looking, no similarities except that they are made of polycarbonate
    09-27-2014 03:54 AM
    520/820 are totally different looking, no similarities except that they are made of polycarbonate
    even the finish is different
    820 is glossy
    520 is matte
    09-27-2014 05:56 AM
    I have an Icon and ended up putting a skin on it because I found it so slippery, so the premium look is no longer visible! My old BlackBerry Q10 has a steel frame with a glass weave back, it's great looking and grippy enough that it doesn't need a skin. I also like the concept of the Nokias that have the removable shell, I don't know how grippy they are, but in concept you could use something like steel for the body and a softer, gripper material for the shell.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-27-2014 07:17 AM
    I have an Icon and ended up putting a skin on it because I found it so slippery, so the premium look is no longer visible! My old BlackBerry Q10 has a steel frame with a glass weave back, it's great looking and grippy enough that it doesn't need a skin. I also like the concept of the Nokias that have the removable shell, I don't know how grippy they are, but in concept you could use something like steel for the body and a softer, gripper material for the shell.
    yeah i also have a z10 as my 2nd phone!! its the only phone im confident of using without a cover!!
    09-27-2014 10:17 AM
    First things first. Will metal sort my Settings categories in my Lumia 520?
    09-27-2014 11:48 AM
    Kryptonite.
    09-27-2014 11:50 AM
    1020 with camera grip feel like a tank, you can dance on it (you probably shouldn't)
    Karthik Naik and fdruid like this.
    09-27-2014 01:51 PM
    Personally, I couldn't care less what material is used to manufacture a phone as long as someone builds a nice looking case for me to wrap it in for protection purposes. I also want the price as low as possible since I refuse to buy a contract to make my cell provider more money than they deserve. Lumia 521...WP 8.1 Dev Preview
    Karthik Naik and fdruid like this.
    09-27-2014 10:19 PM
    Personally, I couldn't care less what material is used to manufacture a phone as long as someone builds a nice looking case for me to wrap it in for protection purposes. I also want the price as low as possible since I refuse to buy a contract to make my cell provider more money than they deserve. Lumia 521...WP 8.1 Dev Preview
    You are right, a phone should look beautiful & be durable that's it
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-27-2014 10:52 PM
    Good for me
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-28-2014 07:42 AM
    You seem to equate Premium Material with metal. Is that the only way to build a phone?
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-29-2014 05:22 AM
    Most iPhone users hide their phone's "premium" looks with cases, usually "unpremium" ones.
    09-29-2014 05:24 AM
    Eww... polycarbonate is used by both Samsung and Nokia so your statement is invalid, though Nokia uses quite often a thicker polycarbonate and from time to time they use unibody designs so that increases the perceived solidness. I can tell you that my Lumia 920 feels really premium due to its curved glass, soft to the touch polycarbonate and weight but in hand the iPhone 4 to 5s (haven't used the new 6) feel more premium.

Samsung uses polycarbonate also but in order to battle Apple's super-slim phones it uses a very thin layer of it so they definitely bend with no much pressure. This said, Sammy gives a glossy finish to their smartphones (+ a generic design) and that's why they seem so cheap in hand but probably the Aplha and the Note 4 are the first "premium" Samsung devices ever, lets see how they really feel.

I like what Microsoft did with the 830, giving it a more fresh and premium look when compared to the a-little-dull 930 and I'd rather have an accessible battery instead of a unibody phone any day of they week, it is very frustrating when my 920 freezes and I can't do anything but wait until the battery dies.
    09-29-2014 10:30 PM
    Eww... polycarbonate is used by both Samsung and Nokia so your statement is invalid, though Nokia uses quite often a thicker polycarbonate and from time to time they use unibody designs so that increases the perceived solidness. I can tell you that my Lumia 920 feels really premium due to its curved glass, soft to the touch polycarbonate and weight but in hand the iPhone 4 to 5s (haven't used the new 6) feel more premium.

Samsung uses polycarbonate also but in order to battle Apple's super-slim phones it uses a very thin layer of it so they definitely bend with no much pressure. This said, Sammy gives a glossy finish to their smartphones (+ a generic design) and that's why they seem so cheap in hand but probably the Aplha and the Note 4 are the first "premium" Samsung devices ever, lets see how they really feel.

I like what Microsoft did with the 830, giving it a more fresh and premium look when compared to the a-little-dull 930 and I'd rather have an accessible battery instead of a unibody phone any day of they week, it is very frustrating when my 920 freezes and I can't do anything but wait until the battery dies.
    Are you kidding? 930 is one of the most beautiful smartphone with preimum look, feel and strength that Nokia / MS has ever produced. Offcourse, it isn't as tough as 920, but still tougher than any Sammy crap. 820 feel ugly and dull compared to 930. One big issue, the placement of microUSB on top, that hole looks utterly ugly.
    Chris Wayne2 likes this.
    09-30-2014 12:01 AM
    Are you kidding? 930 is one of the most beautiful smartphone with preimum look, feel and strength that Nokia / MS has ever produced. Offcourse, it isn't as tough as 920, but still tougher than any Sammy crap. 820 feel ugly and dull compared to 930. One big issue, the placement of microUSB on top, that hole looks utterly ugly.

I said dull because of the design, no matter what paintjob they give to the Icon, the 930 looks uninspired when you compare it to the L800, L920 or N9, of course it looks better than the 820 but the 820 was never promoted as the most beautiful phone ever, does it?
    09-30-2014 05:06 PM
88 1234