Why Nokia doesn't use premium material

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Why Nokia doesn't use premium material for its flagship devices? The polycarbonate alloy that Nokia started using since Nokia N9 is better than the cheap plastics that Samsung uses. But it is still plastic. If Nokia start using premium material like HTC One Max uses, their devices will give an amazing look and feel.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Why Nokia doesn't use premium material for its flagship devices? The polycarbonate alloy that Nokia started using since Nokia N9 is better than the cheap plastics that Samsung uses. But it is still plastic. If Nokia start using premium material like HTC One Max uses, their devices will give an amazing look and feel.

Even with polycarbonate, Lumia phones look beautiful, they have started using metal finish though, but only in some high end phones

Westarmy

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Lets just say... When you drop a Lumia that's fully uni-body plastic... Its unlikely to shatter unlike the htc one, iphone etc But seriously why do we need to follow the crowd, Lumia is known for its design, tell me what's different between iphone 4 and iphone 5s design, each time nokia bring out a new flagship they bring their own design to the table, look at 900 then 920 then 930... Compare that to iPhone, Htc and Samsung to be honest.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Lets just say... When you drop a Lumia that's fully uni-body plastic... Its unlikely to shatter unlike the htc one, iphone etc But seriously why do we need to follow the crowd, Lumia is known for its design, tell me what's different between iphone 4 and iphone 5s design, each time nokia bring out a new flagship they bring their own design to the table, look at 900 then 920 then 930... Compare that to iPhone, Htc and Samsung to be honest.

Nokia has excellent camera, their navigation system is amazing. They brought a lot of creativity by bringing, wireless charging, clear black screen, OIS to its excellent camera. If they start using premium material like HTC One M8 and iPhone 5S, it will definitely add some extra value to its device which is already good.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You do realize that if you want wireless charging, the back of the phone cannot be metal. I think this is why the 930 and 925 are designed with metal sides and a polycarbonate back. It's the best of both worlds. Would you rather have all metal design or wireless charging? You can't make everyone happy.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
You do realize that if you want wireless charging, the back of the phone cannot be metal. I think this is why the 930 and 925 are designed with metal sides and a polycarbonate back. It's the best of both worlds. Would you rather have all metal design or wireless charging? You can't make everyone happy.

Not sure about that. Apple watch and Moto 360 have metal back, but still support wireless charging. Overall which is the tougher material, polycarbonate or aluminum ?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but I kinda laughed when I read the thread title. No disrespect to the OP who's posts I enjoy. I've owned devices from every major OEM and by far Nokias have been the best built/most premium. "Plastic" is such a generic word. Some of the world's strongest materials are plastics. The Lumia 520 (Nokia's cheapest Lumia) stopped a bullet for heaven's sake. I'll take Nokia's premium "plastics" over HTC's cheapo "metal" any day.

Also, when Nokia does choose to go all metal, the quality beats any all metal phone you'll find. Take the N8 for example. The attention to detail is phenomenal, and unmatched by any other OEM I've seen, from the quality of the materials to the fully layered polymer colors where every other OEM simply paints the surface.

When it comes to build quality and premium materials, if there's any OEM that spares no expense it's Nokia.

thusharaya

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry but I kinda laughed when I read the thread title. No disrespect to the OP who's posts I enjoy. I've owned devices from every major OEM and by far Nokias have been the best built/most premium. "Plastic" is such a generic word. Some of the world's strongest materials are plastics. The Lumia 520 (Nokia's cheapest Lumia) stopped a bullet for heaven's sake. I'll take Nokia's premium "plastics" over HTC's cheapo "metal" any day.

Also, when Nokia does choose to go all metal, the quality beats any all metal phone you'll find. Take the N8 for example. The attention to detail is phenomenal, and unmatched by any other OEM I've seen, from the quality of the materials to the fully layered polymer colors where every other OEM simply paints the surface.

When it comes to build quality and premium materials, if there's any OEM that spares no expense it's Nokia.

You guys tthink Microsoft will keep Nokia's good Name for attention to detail and high quality?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
i think the unibody polycarbonate chassis of my 1020 feels very solid, yet alone the 920 (seriously, that thing feels like you could punch through a wall with it). I don't think the high-end Nokia devices feel cheap at all, not like the Samsung flagships anyways :winktongue:

ashwinp90

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a lumia 720 and it is one of the best looking and solid phones I have used. No complaints.
But I do understand that different people like different materials. So maybe, a complete metal phone would be not such a bad thing from nokia (or microsoft)

anon(8098745)

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I think Lumias with its polycarbonate shell looks awesome and as far as build quality is concerned everyone knows that one of the cheapest lumia (Lumia 520) stopped a bullet. Nokia can very well use premium material but i guess its up to Nokia whether to use it or no. If anyone really wants to know how a premium material phone from Nokia feels like..i would suggest to look at Nokia 515.
Even with those Polycarbonate shells Nokia is far ahead from most of the manufacturers in terms of design and build quality.
But ya a full aluminum body Nokia smart phone would be great.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
i would rather premium build quality than premium materials, i had so called premium materials years ago in my iphone 4 and that shattered with one drop, my lumia 920 has been dropped more times than pam andersons pants and still functions and looks great!

jedpatrickdatu

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I think Nokia avoids using full-body metal because they would not be able to color it properly. Lumia's design signature is bright, bold colors, and while metal can be colored by anodizing, it's only surface-deep and it chips off like paint. With plastic, however, the color is built into the material and does not peel off.

anon(8141431)

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

1 : wireless charging won't be possible.
2 : comparitively poor network connectivity.
3 : Huge increase in price
4 : Overheating

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon