Why Nokia doesn't use premium material

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You guys tthink Microsoft will keep Nokia's good Name for attention to detail and high quality?

No. They won't.
Specially if WP keeps losing MSFT money. The tendency will be to use cheaper and cheaper materials. And since they're mainly aiming the phones at the low end market...

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
1 : wireless charging won't be possible.
2 : comparitively poor network connectivity.
3 : Huge increase in price
4 : Overheating

Actually, it would probably manage heat much better. But to the other points I agree. As great as metal phones look, one thing I hear time and time again is that they are very slippery. People then put them in cases for grip and they aren't so pretty to look at nice to hold anymore. If anything, I'd like to see Nokia continue as matters of the polycarbonate craft, but perhaps add rubberized coatings for better grip.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
oh please... Nokia wants to save our earth. If a plastic Nokia can shatter the ground then imagine what would happen if Nokia use premium material for their phones

/j/k

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Why Nokia doesn't use premium material for its flagship devices? The polycarbonate alloy that Nokia started using since Nokia N9 is better than the cheap plastics that Samsung uses. But it is still plastic. If Nokia start using premium material like HTC One Max uses, their devices will give an amazing look and feel.

I'm not sure if I'd want Nokia to use metal or anodized aluminium for its phones. They scratch rather easily, and even sweaty palms can leave some mark on it after a while. Polycarbs, on the other hand, are extremely durable and even scratches are not so obvious compared to metal. Nokia's polycarb design are top-notch, "premium" if you like.

Also, what good is metal if you need to case it to protect it? I've been using my 1020 for a year without a case, and it still looks brand new (except for some light marks at the contact points with the camera grip). Same goes with my previous phone the Nokia 808 - polycarb body in good condition but the camera metal housing had scratches. My N8 also had plenty of wear after a year.

abdhoms

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I beg to differ. Nokia's devices look awesome with polycarbonate body. It's also partly because of the design. I doubt Nokia is/was willing to sacrifice their already awesome designs just to use metal in their phones. Metal phones have disadvantages as well. So I guess Nokia did the right thing to come up with polycarbonate designs.

I would like to see a lumia made from VaporMG. But I have no problem with the polycarbonate that they are made from now

I'm 101% sure VaporMG Lumia is on the horizon. Afar it might be but still it's coming.

Last edited by a moderator:

v_emman

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My previous phone, a Nokia N8, was made of anodized aluminum. Back in 2010, before even Apple used it on iPhones. Even though it doesn't have a single scratch (although it has fallen on hard surfaces many times), unlike iPhones that scratch and peel even with skin contact, I prefer the polycarbonate body of my 1020, and even that of my cheap 630 that I have for a backup. Durable, high quality, beautifully coloured, grippy and nice to touch. Aluminum, although perceived as "premium", is slippery, heavy and attracts grease. Not to mention that it doesn't allow wireless charging too.

pesti87

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
If premium means glass that breaks on even a small drop, then no thanks. I always liked the build of Nokia phones and like to show it off to other "premium" material phone owners.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The 930 is premium enough to me. That metal band around the phone. Makes it look like an iPhone until you see that colourful polycarbonate back. They even added this design to the 830.

Also Nokia wants to be as sustainable as possible. My 620 is 100% recyclable if I'm not wrong. I'm not sure about the iPhone and others though....

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had a 521, a 925 and now a 1520...

For what I paid for the 521 I thought it was very solid. I was quite happy with it. The 925 felt so nice in the hand and looked great, IMHO, even though it was that boring T-MoUS white. Just plain color. But the design was spot on for me. Now the 1520 in a polycarbonate unibody is very nice. I love the Yellow, not so bright that it is garish. I feel that it is a premium construction technique and that the 1520 has some very nice design elements. If you are into Danish Modern at all, you'll see it quite clearly; it's a regional design philosophy. I think my 1520 is a head-turner and I keep it in a clear TPU case like this:

81zFHRdlaYL._SL1500_.jpg

That being said, I still hold lust in my heart for this beauty. I'm sad I've never owned one... Especially in the very hard to get green. The all aluminum bodied Nokia E7-00. She's awful pretty. *sigh*

nokia-e7-vodafone.jpgNokia-E7-clear-black.jpg

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I find nothing wrong with the materials used on the Lumia devices. It looks and feels premium...and it doesn't chip away like what the M8 looks like after a few months... My lumia 920 body looks the same as I first got it, (I do have some scratches on the screen)...on my iPhone 5s after 4 months I have wear marks, where it slides into my pocket, I didn't use a case for a while. My Blackberries all looked like crap after 6 months of use...while my Lumia 920 looks great, 2 years later.

Medwynd

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
My phones always go straight to inside a case. I don't even know what my phone looks like anymore but my giant otter case on my 920 has worked well.

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Nokia has excellent camera, their navigation system is amazing. They brought a lot of creativity by bringing, wireless charging, clear black screen, OIS to its excellent camera. If they start using premium material like HTC One M8 and iPhone 5S, it will definitely add some extra value to its device which is already good.

The 5s has premium material? The damn thing breaks if someone farts in its general direction. The lumias are tough

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I never complained about the build quality. The build quality is amazing. What I am talking about is something you hold, starre, it should make you feel like a premium device.

Example. Almost a decade ago Nokia launched a DUMBPHONE!!! Nokia 8800 and 8600 Luna. It was a dumbphone and nothing compared to, that time's king Nokia N95. Buy the kind of quality material, that was used was not only a tough material, but a premium look and feel, which one would love to hold and starre.

Similarly, HTC One M8, might not be tough as Lumia 920, but its premium material like the panel, the way one feel pressing the button, holding it in hands etc makes it feel like a premium device. Even HTC One Desir 816, which is made up of cheap plastic, looks like a preimum device compared to Samsuck.

I never doubt the build quality of devices like Lumia 920, 1520 etc. But they can further give a premium look and feel without compromizing the build quality.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The 5s has premium material? The damn thing breaks if someone farts in its general direction. The lumias are tough

plus in india they charge you $600 for a refurb unit(usually in poor condition) in exchange for the broken 5S
whereas to repair even a 1520 in india is expensive- $200 but its much cheaper than most other brands in comparison

i wish nokia makes an E7 design phone again!! with polycarbonate and metal options and ofcourse running windows phone

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes