Why Nokia doesn't use premium material

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
plus in india they charge you $600 for a refurb unit(usually in poor condition) in exchange for the broken 5S
whereas to repair even a 1520 in india is expensive- $200 but its much cheaper than most other brands in comparison

i wish nokia makes an E7 design phone again!! with polycarbonate and metal options and ofcourse running windows phone

Yes, E7 & N8 were the best looking phones., I hope nokia comes up with a similar one soon

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why iPhone is a standard of beauty... The original, 2, 3 and 4 series all looked just the same to me and got played out quickly. They made some departure from the "tried and true" with the 5 series and now the 6 series is something different, finally...

I can see a lot more dynamic range in the design of Lumia models.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Their meterial could be good. The phone were ugly in looks, as if someone insreted an iPhone inside a rugged crystal case

What, Nokia phones never looked like an iPhone, I cannot even imagine e7,n8 looking like an iPhone. I don't find any similarities between them. They were beautiful phones & would be a huge success if Nokia launches them again running wp8.1/9

I'm not sure why iPhone is a standard of beauty... The original, 2, 3 and 4 series all looked just the same to me and got played out quickly. They made some departure from the "tried and true" with the 5 series and now the 6 series is something different, finally...

I can see a lot more dynamic range in the design of Lumia models.

Definitely, Nokia always offers a dynamic range

Last edited by a moderator:

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I was charging my phone (Lumia 520), then I had drop my phone from 1 meter high by accident, and the shell opened, the battery pop out from the phone, everything is fine. I put everything up and I saw NO SCRATCH, CURVED or anything else, it doesn't have much change, only noticeable change is when I shake, drop, put it on the table with lots of power, it auto restart (due to the battery popped out when dropped, the battery connector have moved at bit I think)

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
My opinion is that they should use premium materials all around in some models

In all fairness, the main counter to using an all metal body is the wireless charging. Well I don't see it as being as important as most do. Yeah, it's cool and all, but all in all it's really just not that useful unless you're lazy to no end and you can't be bothered with something as simple as pulling out the cable from the phone.

On the other hand, people do like for their phones to look good. Hell, if the One was available on my country right now and I had the money I'd pull the trigger in no time even though I hate big screens with a passion. And this has been a problem with Windows Phones ever since the Titan, Lumia 900 and others. They're bulky, thick and with big bezels. The only reasonably sized WP I've seen until now was the 925 and I believe it could be even smaller if it had an all metal body.

I'm not saying to ditch the wireless charging forever, but it's a sacrifice that should be made in some models. If you don't believe me, let me ask you why do you think so many people with no knowledge of technology go for the iPhone when they could spend much less on a mid-end Android or WP and be well served? It's not always about the apps or being iSheep. They buy it because it looks good (or at least it used to, now it's just fugly), because no matter how you hate it, it feels good to hold. Hell, I'm not a particular fan and I love to hold any iPhone after the 3Gs. It just feels balanced. Now, I love my 820 to bits, but when I hold it, it doesn't feel like that. It feels like it's too big for what it is. Even reviewers said it...

So, yeah... Yes to metal.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I think it's metal that looks cheap, especially after it gets scratched and dented. I don't understand what makes it 'premium'.

flattie

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I could maybe tolerate something like the material used on the Surface tablets, but in all honesty, metal is just not a great material to use for a phone outside of the fact that for some people it has an appealing aesthetic.

Polycarbonate has a nice feel in the hand, is more robust, permits wireless charging and allows for more variety in terms of colour.

I don't mind flourishes of metal, which do give a whiff of premium, but all out metal is not something I personally want to see.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I could maybe tolerate something like the material used on the Surface tablets, but in all honesty, metal is just not a great material to use for a phone outside of the fact that for some people it has an appealing aesthetic.

Polycarbonate has a nice feel in the hand, is more robust, permits wireless charging and allows for more variety in terms of colour.

I don't mind flourishes of metal, which do give a whiff of premium, but all out metal is not something I personally want to see.

totally agreed
the form factor and design of the 720 is one of my favourite in any phone so far in terms of usability etc

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Samsung uses the worst plastic. Nokia's polycarbonate get scratches, but they are hardly visible, you should have a keen eye to observe them, whereas iPhones scratches are visible & looks really bad with such scratches. Nokia's polycarbonate is the best according to me.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
My opinion is that they should use premium materials all around in some models

In all fairness, the main counter to using an all metal body is the wireless charging. Well I don't see it as being as important as most do. Yeah, it's cool and all, but all in all it's really just not that useful unless you're lazy to no end and you can't be bothered with something as simple as pulling out the cable from the phone.

On the other hand, people do like for their phones to look good. Hell, if the One was available on my country right now and I had the money I'd pull the trigger in no time even though I hate big screens with a passion. And this has been a problem with Windows Phones ever since the Titan, Lumia 900 and others. They're bulky, thick and with big bezels. The only reasonably sized WP I've seen until now was the 925 and I believe it could be even smaller if it had an all metal body.

I'm not saying to ditch the wireless charging forever, but it's a sacrifice that should be made in some models. If you don't believe me, let me ask you why do you think so many people with no knowledge of technology go for the iPhone when they could spend much less on a mid-end Android or WP and be well served? It's not always about the apps or being iSheep. They buy it because it looks good (or at least it used to, now it's just fugly), because no matter how you hate it, it feels good to hold. Hell, I'm not a particular fan and I love to hold any iPhone after the 3Gs. It just feels balanced. Now, I love my 820 to bits, but when I hold it, it doesn't feel like that. It feels like it's too big for what it is. Even reviewers said it...

So, yeah... Yes to metal.

Lumia 820 is same design as Lumia 520 .so it will look cheap.compare it with unibody design lok Lumia 720.best designed mid range Lumia 720.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion