Why Nokia doesn't use premium material

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I have an Icon and ended up putting a skin on it because I found it so slippery, so the premium look is no longer visible! My old BlackBerry Q10 has a steel frame with a glass weave back, it's great looking and grippy enough that it doesn't need a skin. I also like the concept of the Nokias that have the removable shell, I don't know how grippy they are, but in concept you could use something like steel for the body and a softer, gripper material for the shell.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I have an Icon and ended up putting a skin on it because I found it so slippery, so the premium look is no longer visible! My old BlackBerry Q10 has a steel frame with a glass weave back, it's great looking and grippy enough that it doesn't need a skin. I also like the concept of the Nokias that have the removable shell, I don't know how grippy they are, but in concept you could use something like steel for the body and a softer, gripper material for the shell.

yeah i also have a z10 as my 2nd phone!! its the only phone im confident of using without a cover!!

Jim Myers

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I couldn't care less what material is used to manufacture a phone as long as someone builds a nice looking case for me to wrap it in for protection purposes. I also want the price as low as possible since I refuse to buy a contract to make my cell provider more money than they deserve. Lumia 521...WP 8.1 Dev Preview

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I couldn't care less what material is used to manufacture a phone as long as someone builds a nice looking case for me to wrap it in for protection purposes. I also want the price as low as possible since I refuse to buy a contract to make my cell provider more money than they deserve. Lumia 521...WP 8.1 Dev Preview

You are right, a phone should look beautiful & be durable that's it

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

Most iPhone users hide their phone's "premium" looks with cases, usually "unpremium" ones.

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Eww... polycarbonate is used by both Samsung and Nokia so your statement is invalid, though Nokia uses quite often a thicker polycarbonate and from time to time they use unibody designs so that increases the perceived solidness. I can tell you that my Lumia 920 feels really premium due to its curved glass, soft to the touch polycarbonate and weight but in hand the iPhone 4 to 5s (haven't used the new 6) feel more premium.

Samsung uses polycarbonate also but in order to battle Apple's super-slim phones it uses a very thin layer of it so they definitely bend with no much pressure. This said, Sammy gives a glossy finish to their smartphones (+ a generic design) and that's why they seem so cheap in hand but probably the Aplha and the Note 4 are the first "premium" Samsung devices ever, lets see how they really feel.

I like what Microsoft did with the 830, giving it a more fresh and premium look when compared to the a-little-dull 930 and I'd rather have an accessible battery instead of a unibody phone any day of they week, it is very frustrating when my 920 freezes and I can't do anything but wait until the battery dies.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Eww... polycarbonate is used by both Samsung and Nokia so your statement is invalid, though Nokia uses quite often a thicker polycarbonate and from time to time they use unibody designs so that increases the perceived solidness. I can tell you that my Lumia 920 feels really premium due to its curved glass, soft to the touch polycarbonate and weight but in hand the iPhone 4 to 5s (haven't used the new 6) feel more premium.

Samsung uses polycarbonate also but in order to battle Apple's super-slim phones it uses a very thin layer of it so they definitely bend with no much pressure. This said, Sammy gives a glossy finish to their smartphones (+ a generic design) and that's why they seem so cheap in hand but probably the Aplha and the Note 4 are the first "premium" Samsung devices ever, lets see how they really feel.

I like what Microsoft did with the 830, giving it a more fresh and premium look when compared to the a-little-dull 930 and I'd rather have an accessible battery instead of a unibody phone any day of they week, it is very frustrating when my 920 freezes and I can't do anything but wait until the battery dies.

Are you kidding? 930 is one of the most beautiful smartphone with preimum look, feel and strength that Nokia / MS has ever produced. Offcourse, it isn't as tough as 920, but still tougher than any Sammy crap. 820 feel ugly and dull compared to 930. One big issue, the placement of microUSB on top, that hole looks utterly ugly.

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Are you kidding? 930 is one of the most beautiful smartphone with preimum look, feel and strength that Nokia / MS has ever produced. Offcourse, it isn't as tough as 920, but still tougher than any Sammy crap. 820 feel ugly and dull compared to 930. One big issue, the placement of microUSB on top, that hole looks utterly ugly.

I said dull because of the design, no matter what paintjob they give to the Icon, the 930 looks uninspired when you compare it to the L800, L920 or N9, of course it looks better than the 820 but the 820 was never promoted as the most beautiful phone ever, does it?

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Why Nokia doesn't use premium material for its flagship devices? The polycarbonate alloy that Nokia started using since Nokia N9 is better than the cheap plastics that Samsung uses. But it is still plastic. If Nokia start using premium material like HTC One Max uses, their devices will give an amazing look and feel.

You do realize that metal can effect signal strength, right? Nokia has been making phones a lot longer than HTC and knows this.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
A titanium alloy, is the best thing for a Nokia flagship. I should have mentioned that why Nokia doesn't use premium material for its high end flagship devices. A titanium alloy is tough, light weight and have the premium build quality as well as premium look and feel

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
A titanium alloy, is the best thing for a Nokia flagship. I should have mentioned that why Nokia doesn't use premium material for its high end flagship devices. A titanium alloy is tough, light weight and have the premium build quality as well as premium look and feel

And cost. You really think MS, the same MS that killed glance and camera buttons on half the Lumia range for cost cutting reasons would even consider this? We forget that this isn't the Nokia we used to know.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Keep the Polycarbonate! The design and feel of the Lumia 800 is what first attracted me to Windows Phone. It was a thing of beauty back then and my 1520 is now with a very similar look.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

How about a soft reset - hold Power & Volume Down for approx 10 - 15 seconds until you feel a vibration.
That'll un-freeze it, NO data loss!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo