1525?! No? Fine, I give up!

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Be careful if you are thinking of going back on contract with AT&T. If you are on mobile share with data buckets of 10GB or larger, they will charge you a $40 per month phone charge vs. a $15 per month charge on Next or if you buy the phone outright.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Be careful if you are thinking of going back on contract with AT&T. If you are on mobile share with data buckets of 10GB or larger, they will charge you a $40 per month phone charge vs. a $15 per month charge on Next or if you buy the phone outright.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm on mobile share but only the 1GB a month plane, I might move to the 3GB, so looks like I'll be safe!

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
So I have my new 1520......and it turns out I do very much like it. The feel and quality is very nice, very close to as good as the Icon, so I'm happy!

I guess I'll hang onto this until the first phablet flagship WM10 handset gets released.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
So I have my new 1520......and it turns out I do very much like it. The feel and quality is very nice, very close to as good as the Icon, so I'm happy!

I guess I'll hang onto this until the first phablet flagship WM10 handset gets released.

That's great! I knew it :)

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Had my 1520 for a week and love it. Coming from a Lumia Icon. The only thing I miss is the Gorilla Glass 3 on the Icon. Wow, was that durable - 1520 - not so much. Hope an updated 1520 comes out in Q1 of next year, since it seems clear there are no handsets bound for 2014 release. I love reading the "complaints" about AT&T in these forums, because you have no idea what PAIN really is until you have been with "Big Red.". At almost a year old the 1520 still does not show its age. Still a player!

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site

When I went into my local AT&T store, they said you only get the $25 discount if you are on NEXT. Basically, you get the $25 discount because they have you under 'contract' with the devices. What I was told was that even if I purchase the phone outright or BYOD, I won't get the discount. Were they mistaken?

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
When I went into my local AT&T store, they said you only get the $25 discount if you are on NEXT. Basically, you get the $25 discount because they have you under 'contract' with the devices. What I was told was that even if I purchase the phone outright or BYOD, I won't get the discount. Were they mistaken?

I'm pretty sure the rep gave you the wrong info. In my account information, it describes the mobile share plan and has terms and conditions and a footnote describing the $25/month discount for "no annual service contracts" that reads as follows:

"For smartphones, discounted access charges apply w/ no annual service contract options (AT&T NextSM, bring your own, pay full price, or month-to-month)."

"5No annual service contract includes smartphones purchased with an AT&T Next installment agreement, purchased at full retail price, phones where you have completed your AT&T annual service contract term, or if you bring your own device to AT&T."

I should also mention that there is a discount for data buckets less than 10GB, but it is only $15/mo. (a reduction from $40 to $25). I received an odd benefit early in the year where they reduced the monthly cost of my phone to $15/mo. when we upgraded to this program with 10GB even though I was still on-contract. I think that was a one-time only promotion, however. Good luck.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
evleaks just posted most of his windows phone leaks were not true due to one of his sources being outed as a fraud .

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/521999829065805824

Means the 1525 rumor is not true. This means the cancelled McLaren phone might not be cancelled or exist at all. This currently means we have no clue as to what phones Microsoft is currently working on.

WOW! So my first impression is that it really blows I waited 10 months to get a new phone after mine broke just because I kept hearing about new flagship devices for the holiday season, BUT now I feel a HELLEVA lot better about buying the 1520.

Second, I'm really impressed then with how MS is at keeping the new phones a complete secret!

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
WOW! So my first impression is that it really blows I waited 10 months to get a new phone after mine broke just because I kept hearing about new flagship devices for the holiday season, BUT now I feel a HELLEVA lot better about buying the 1520.

Second, I'm really impressed then with how MS is at keeping the new phones a complete secret!

It doesn't help to keep something a secret if you do it long enough that no one cares when it eventually comes out. I love my 1520, but it is obvious by any reasonable standard that the phone would need a refresh in a timely manner to remain a player, even on the small stage it currently resides.

teamkillYAY

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Being secret is only a good thing if you have a track record of coming out with a new phone every year around the same timeframe. I too am ready to upgrade but i do not want any of the phones that Verizon is offering. On a side note - it is really discouraging how much verizon sales people push you away from purchasing a windows phone (atleast my store).

Prabal Dey

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
On a side note - it is really discouraging how much verizon sales people push you away from purchasing a windows phone (atleast my store).

Agreed. I was looking at the 1020 last month. 2 more people came in to purchase the 1020 and started asking about it. The staff just did not know about all the features. She said "it is a 41 MP camera but you can get great pictures even with a 8 MP camera" and diverted them to Samsung phones. I then asked another sales rep about the 1020 and after 2 minutes he tried selling me an iPhone. I asked him bluntly "Do you guys get more commission for iPhone and Samsung sales? I am here for a 1020 and you are trying to sell me an iPhone. Why?". He looked a bit taken aback and then said "No...it's just because my iPhone works really great". I then explained to him what the 1020's camera can do and his eyes went wide ("You can really refocus the picture later on?!!!!"). Finally I left without getting the 1020 (I want the 1030!).

FeedTheShark

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
People sell what they know, it's not more commission, it's just easier. Most people don't know much about phones but will be happy with an iPhone and most Android phones. Sure WP might have a nicer interface, live tiles might be cool and Cortana and many other features are great and advantages. But someone will go onto the store and not see some silly app or game they want, be disappointed it's not there (sometimes...) and end up returning the phone or just going back to the store to complain. Far easier to just sell them an iPhone in the first place.

WP is for those who want WP. It's basically the new Mac; proud to be different.

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I got tired of waiting. I ordered a 1520 of eBay used. I wanted a 1520.3, but I couldn't justify the cost considering that I'll probably replace this one when the Windows 10 devices start showing up. I've loved my 920, but I got it on day 1, and I'm tired of having to recharge it 3 times a day.
This will be my 4th windows phone. Had a focus, an 800, the 920, and now this one. I hope that I'll like it until the new ones show up.

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
$339. A little more than I would have liked, but the condition was right, and it was a seller that I felt I could trust. I wanted a 1520.3, but I'll be replacing it next summer, anyways.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss