Nokia to return in 2016 says Forbes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
They'll do well because they'll go with Android and end up somewhere below Samsung and above Motorola. MS needs to bring their A game for the next two years. No weaksauce.

Yeah that's what I never understood about this "merger". It seems like Nokia took the money, will sit back for a few years and then just start making phones again, and yeah, they'll probably make Androids. Nokia has a very strong following so I still wonder what MS was thinking. Especially since there doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency on their part. 2016 is not too far away.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The article that OP linked specifically discusses Nokia building handsets, either with Android or Sailfish.

Yes. And they might make a phone, if its something special, something that puts them in front. And I dont mean that they would immediately be selling the most, but if they come back it will be for a reason. Wearable or a portable is possible IMO, but I think they dont even know yet. If I remember correctly I saw Siilasmaa say in an interview after closing the MS deal, that they dont rule out possibility of coming back to this space.

Remember this, Nokia after selling the devices to Microsoft: Nokia Unveils Impressive Foldable Displays - Forbes

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Wonder if future phones would become like PC. We custom built our own... We buy an empty casing, put whatever CPU, screen size/type, any components we want. Your choice of OS Mix'n' Match phones.
I doubt it. Build your own PC is primarily something done by enthusiasts, especially gamers, not the average PC user. The majority of people buy pre-built PCs.

I also doubt if custom built smartphones would catch on, since most people tend to only keep their smartphones a couple years, whether or not contracts are involved. They just want something newer. However, people usually keep their PCs a lot longer.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's what I never understood about this "merger". It seems like Nokia took the money, will sit back for a few years and then just start making phones again, and yeah, they'll probably make Androids. Nokia has a very strong following so I still wonder what MS was thinking. Especially since there doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency on their part. 2016 is not too far away.

Microsoft with all respect didnt have a choice. If Nokia would have gone to Android and said bye bye to Windows Phone, it would have been lights out for Windows Phone all together. That reason alone was why Nokia was able to get such a great conditions for the deal. Can anyone believe Microsoft didnt want to use Nokia's name forever? Even if no intentions to do so, would be good to have the option. We know Microsoft wanted HERE, that has been said in the interviews. For sure they wanted the R&D that has all the future inventions in it. For sure they wanted more than just a rights to use the patents... They really had no choice, Nokia had Microsoft by the balls since it basically was the only Windows Phone manufacturer.

Of course, compared to what Nokia used to be few years earlier 7bn is nothing, but the damage was already done and the game lost in that sense. So 7bn for that pile of crap was amazing. And I dont mean WP or Lumia is a pile of crap. I love my Windows Phones (2 newest ones missing from my sig btw) and will keep using WP, but the D&S a pile of crap as a business.

User788

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
If Nokia buy Jolla (the makers of Sailfish OS) they have a good chance of making quality smartphones. The Jolla people are basically ex-Nokia employees who wanted to continue the MeeGo project, so basically the N9's legacy would become Nokia's 'new' soul.

Don't forget how strong the Nokia brand still is, and that it has a lot of loyalists and followers, not to mention that Nokia hold a lot of patents that were not sold to Microsoft.

Former Nokia staff that left Microsoft recently as part of the layoffs may re-unite with those Jolla/former Nokia people.

We will end up with Microsoft Mobile making Nokia-branded S30/S40 'dumbphones' and Nokia Corporation making Nokia-branded Sailfish OS smartphones.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If Nokia buy Jolla (the makers of Sailfish OS) they have a good chance of making quality smartphones. The Jolla people are basically ex-Nokia employees who wanted to continue the MeeGo project, so basically the N9's legacy would become Nokia's 'new' soul.

Don't forget how strong the Nokia brand still is, and that it has a lot of loyalists and followers, not to mention that Nokia hold a lot of patents that were not sold to Microsoft.

Former Nokia staff that left Microsoft recently as part of the layoffs may re-unite with those Jolla/former Nokia people.

We will end up with Microsoft Mobile making Nokia-branded S30/S40 'dumbphones' and Nokia Corporation making Nokia-branded Sailfish OS smartphones.

Jolla might be good, but it would be a tough sell. How would they attract developers, if Windows Phone is having trouble getting developers?

How would they market to the US/Canada/Mexico? I think what ultimately killed Nokia/Symbian was the lack of a North American presence. It was popular everywhere but the North American market (folks in North America were buying BlackBerry/Palm devices, not Nokia/Symbian). I don't think an OS could be successful if it ignores North America. Back around 2006, I had a Nokia E62, but most of my family/friends/acquaintances either never heard of Nokia or thought it was a dumbphone brand.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Nobody hear of Nokia Air Cloud Service. That's something new they are making now. Kind of new OS. Just BinGoogle it. + foldable screens they showed on video. By 2016 they can easily improve that thing (screen) and have it on their new phones if of course they are coming back to phone manufacturing business

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Nobody heard of Nokia Air Cloud Service. That's something new they are making now. Kind of new OS. Just BinGoogle it. + foldable screens they showed on video. By 2016 they can easily improve that thing (screen) and have it on their new phones if of course they are coming back to phone manufacturing business

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Jolla might be good, but it would be a tough sell. How would they attract developers, if Windows Phone is having trouble getting developers?

How would they market to the US/Canada/Mexico? I think what ultimately killed Nokia/Symbian was the lack of a North American presence. It was popular everywhere but the North American market (folks in North America were buying BlackBerry/Palm devices, not Nokia/Symbian). I don't think an OS could be successful if it ignores North America. Back around 2006, I had a Nokia E62, but most of my family/friends/acquaintances either never heard of Nokia or thought it was a dumbphone brand.

That tough sell is called "carriers". Nokia "probably" came to meetings with the wrong attitude and thought they could dictate terms to the carriers. A little humble pie usually fixes most attitude problems. I'm certainly not defending carriers, they're just a half notch above personal injury lawyers but they hold the cards.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nobody hear of Nokia Air Cloud Service. That's something new they are making now. Kind of new OS. Just BinGoogle it. + foldable screens they showed on video. By 2016 they can easily improve that thing (screen) and have it on their new phones if of course they are coming back to phone manufacturing business

Other companies have tried to introduce new OSes. Firefox OS isn't exactly making a big splash. Ubuntu OS failed its kickstarter miserably. Samsung hasn't bothered doing anything with Tizen OS yet.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it doesn't matter how well you woo the carriers, any new platform is going to be a tough sell. Even if Jolla-Nokia actually becomes a thing and they provide legendary suck-up'age to the carriers, why should well established developers and end-users flock to a brand new, unproven platform when they're largely satisfied with what they have?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Other companies have tried to introduce new OSes. Firefox OS isn't exactly making a big splash. Ubuntu OS failed its kickstarter miserably. Samsung hasn't bothered doing anything with Tizen OS yet.

Agreed. I believe that if even Samsung cannot get a new OS going in the market, no manufacturer can, at least right now. If Windows 10 turns out to be as great as it's supposed to be, Nokia might have a chance with it. I also think they could make a go of Android. But introduce a new OS and survive? It'll be tough!

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say it in a way; but I don't think you will ever see Nokia phones again. Maybe in a small way with a few special units; but nothing like the company they once were. That is gone. Why would they want too anyway? Almost everyone is losing their asses in the phone business. Maybe as something else. Watches, google glass type units, who knows. The market is saturated. Best they sit this one out until the next BIG THING comes around.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I still think Microsoft's lawyers did poor work with the deal. They should have signed a better non competitive deal for all smartphones using Nokia branding for 10 years minimum, leaving Nokia to focus on their Network business going forward. Microsoft paid mega money for Nokia which was fading. Their existing employers need to get over the fact they Sold Out.

Last edited:

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Recently Nokia had been recruiting employees with skill sets that specifically mention experience writing Android drivers. Can it be more clear?

Nokia?s future may eventually contain new Android devices after all

Even with them hiring Android people it really isnt proof that they start making mobile phones again. Could be wearables and many other things they might need them for. Although it could mean just that, or at least that they might come back to consumer electronics. I really hope so. I love a good story, I love a comeback, I love when the underdog pulls a rabit out of the hat. This would be a hell of a story. Actually it already is a good story, consider how poorly the company was doing not that long ago and now the future seems pretty bright. We might (not us though :evil:) see another +100 years of Nokia.

I hate to say it in a way; but I don't think you will ever see Nokia phones again. Maybe in a small way with a few special units; but nothing like the company they once were. That is gone. Why would they want too anyway? Almost everyone is losing their asses in the phone business. Maybe as something else. Watches, google glass type units, who knows. The market is saturated. Best they sit this one out until the next BIG THING comes around.

Best thing would be to come up with the next big thing :excited: But I agree with you, the mobile phone space isnt something to go after. It has become a space where the margins are too thin to make any real separation from the cheaper brands. We are even starting to see Samsung having problems. http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspe...-profits-down-sixty-percent-no-recovery-plan/

Microsoft and Google are the ones who have most in play because of the eco-systems and OS:es. Im not saying Apple because they can sell a brick with their logo on it. No company can serisouly be thinking to reach same position in the near future.

If Microsoft would kill WP, we could eventually see a very different Microsoft than we have used to. The future is in the mobile, if you dont have a succesfull mobile OS, Microsoft would be something totally different than now. I think Microsoft will make it, but they need to spend a lot of time and money. It will be baby steps probably for a long time ahead.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Recently Nokia had been recruiting employees with skill sets that specifically mention experience writing Android drivers. Can it be more clear?

Nokia?s future may eventually contain new Android devices after all

Considering Sailfish is Linux-based and Jolla specifically mentioned last year its compatibility with Android devices and their drivers, I'd say it's not so cut and dry. Sailfish could be a real possibility. It would make sense to have employees with Android experience since those would be more readily available than those with Linux and Sailfish combined.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Remember that a LOT of Nokia employees made up the list of folks to get the axe from Microsoft. I think it is that more than half of the layoffs planned since the acquisition are folks coming from Nokia. So, that could be a number of people without jobs, but with a new home to head to. Then, there's the potential that Nokia penciled in a licensing agreement for their old patents with Microsoft, meaning that while they can't profit from competitors from those patents, they're allowed to use them in the future.

However, I think that manufacturing is the toughest thing to sort. For starters, they're going to truly be rebuilding the brand on their own. They might be a multi-OS option (WP, Android, and maybe even Firefox OS), but they could be lacking the previous Zeiss agreement to get good optics into phones, and they could be without the Lumia brand to boot. If they came back, they might not be any more than a BLU competitor.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
We'll just have to wait and find out.

At this time looks like MicroSoft is not interested in producing anything for 920, 1020, 1520 owners to step upon. The only thing they are producing are low end and mid entry cell phones. I do not see anything which would even turn my head to drop a 920, 1020, 1520 over. Lol if I were going to get one of MicroSofts new phones it would be on a el-cheapo pay as you go plan.

If Nokia would make new phones with good hardware like the 920, 1020, 1520 MicroSoft does not have anything to compete with them. Why would even consider a Yugo if you were shopping Nexus or Mercedes. :shocked:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos