11-14-2014 08:43 AM
103 1234 ...
tools
    If Nokia buy Jolla (the makers of Sailfish OS) they have a good chance of making quality smartphones. The Jolla people are basically ex-Nokia employees who wanted to continue the MeeGo project, so basically the N9's legacy would become Nokia's 'new' soul.

Don't forget how strong the Nokia brand still is, and that it has a lot of loyalists and followers, not to mention that Nokia hold a lot of patents that were not sold to Microsoft.

Former Nokia staff that left Microsoft recently as part of the layoffs may re-unite with those Jolla/former Nokia people.

We will end up with Microsoft Mobile making Nokia-branded S30/S40 'dumbphones' and Nokia Corporation making Nokia-branded Sailfish OS smartphones.
    Tom Snyder and Beijendorf like this.
    10-27-2014 01:27 PM
    If Nokia buy Jolla (the makers of Sailfish OS) they have a good chance of making quality smartphones. The Jolla people are basically ex-Nokia employees who wanted to continue the MeeGo project, so basically the N9's legacy would become Nokia's 'new' soul.

Don't forget how strong the Nokia brand still is, and that it has a lot of loyalists and followers, not to mention that Nokia hold a lot of patents that were not sold to Microsoft.

Former Nokia staff that left Microsoft recently as part of the layoffs may re-unite with those Jolla/former Nokia people.

We will end up with Microsoft Mobile making Nokia-branded S30/S40 'dumbphones' and Nokia Corporation making Nokia-branded Sailfish OS smartphones.
    Jolla might be good, but it would be a tough sell. How would they attract developers, if Windows Phone is having trouble getting developers?

How would they market to the US/Canada/Mexico? I think what ultimately killed Nokia/Symbian was the lack of a North American presence. It was popular everywhere but the North American market (folks in North America were buying BlackBerry/Palm devices, not Nokia/Symbian). I don't think an OS could be successful if it ignores North America. Back around 2006, I had a Nokia E62, but most of my family/friends/acquaintances either never heard of Nokia or thought it was a dumbphone brand.
    10-27-2014 01:36 PM
    Nobody hear of Nokia Air Cloud Service. That's something new they are making now. Kind of new OS. Just BinGoogle it. + foldable screens they showed on video. By 2016 they can easily improve that thing (screen) and have it on their new phones if of course they are coming back to phone manufacturing business
    10-27-2014 01:57 PM
    Nobody heard of Nokia Air Cloud Service. That's something new they are making now. Kind of new OS. Just BinGoogle it. + foldable screens they showed on video. By 2016 they can easily improve that thing (screen) and have it on their new phones if of course they are coming back to phone manufacturing business
    10-27-2014 01:58 PM
    Jolla might be good, but it would be a tough sell. How would they attract developers, if Windows Phone is having trouble getting developers?

How would they market to the US/Canada/Mexico? I think what ultimately killed Nokia/Symbian was the lack of a North American presence. It was popular everywhere but the North American market (folks in North America were buying BlackBerry/Palm devices, not Nokia/Symbian). I don't think an OS could be successful if it ignores North America. Back around 2006, I had a Nokia E62, but most of my family/friends/acquaintances either never heard of Nokia or thought it was a dumbphone brand.
    That tough sell is called "carriers". Nokia "probably" came to meetings with the wrong attitude and thought they could dictate terms to the carriers. A little humble pie usually fixes most attitude problems. I'm certainly not defending carriers, they're just a half notch above personal injury lawyers but they hold the cards.
    Laura Knotek and a5cent like this.
    10-27-2014 02:06 PM
    Nobody hear of Nokia Air Cloud Service. That's something new they are making now. Kind of new OS. Just BinGoogle it. + foldable screens they showed on video. By 2016 they can easily improve that thing (screen) and have it on their new phones if of course they are coming back to phone manufacturing business

Other companies have tried to introduce new OSes. Firefox OS isn't exactly making a big splash. Ubuntu OS failed its kickstarter miserably. Samsung hasn't bothered doing anything with Tizen OS yet.
    tgp, jmshub and a5cent like this.
    10-27-2014 02:19 PM
    Yeah, it doesn't matter how well you woo the carriers, any new platform is going to be a tough sell. Even if Jolla-Nokia actually becomes a thing and they provide legendary suck-up'age to the carriers, why should well established developers and end-users flock to a brand new, unproven platform when they're largely satisfied with what they have?
    10-27-2014 02:27 PM
    Other companies have tried to introduce new OSes. Firefox OS isn't exactly making a big splash. Ubuntu OS failed its kickstarter miserably. Samsung hasn't bothered doing anything with Tizen OS yet.
    Agreed. I believe that if even Samsung cannot get a new OS going in the market, no manufacturer can, at least right now. If Windows 10 turns out to be as great as it's supposed to be, Nokia might have a chance with it. I also think they could make a go of Android. But introduce a new OS and survive? It'll be tough!
    10-27-2014 02:39 PM
    I hate to say it in a way; but I don't think you will ever see Nokia phones again. Maybe in a small way with a few special units; but nothing like the company they once were. That is gone. Why would they want too anyway? Almost everyone is losing their asses in the phone business. Maybe as something else. Watches, google glass type units, who knows. The market is saturated. Best they sit this one out until the next BIG THING comes around.
    Timbre70 likes this.
    10-27-2014 03:11 PM
    Recently Nokia had been recruiting employees with skill sets that specifically mention experience writing Android drivers. Can it be more clear?

Nokia?s future may eventually contain new Android devices after all
    Loco5150 likes this.
    10-27-2014 03:33 PM
    I still think Microsoft's lawyers did poor work with the deal. They should have signed a better non competitive deal for all smartphones using Nokia branding for 10 years minimum, leaving Nokia to focus on their Network business going forward. Microsoft paid mega money for Nokia which was fading. Their existing employers need to get over the fact they Sold Out.
    Last edited by wplee; 10-27-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    10-27-2014 03:52 PM
    Recently Nokia had been recruiting employees with skill sets that specifically mention experience writing Android drivers. Can it be more clear?

Even with them hiring Android people it really isnt proof that they start making mobile phones again. Could be wearables and many other things they might need them for. Although it could mean just that, or at least that they might come back to consumer electronics. I really hope so. I love a good story, I love a comeback, I love when the underdog pulls a rabit out of the hat. This would be a hell of a story. Actually it already is a good story, consider how poorly the company was doing not that long ago and now the future seems pretty bright. We might (not us though ) see another +100 years of Nokia.

I hate to say it in a way; but I don't think you will ever see Nokia phones again. Maybe in a small way with a few special units; but nothing like the company they once were. That is gone. Why would they want too anyway? Almost everyone is losing their asses in the phone business. Maybe as something else. Watches, google glass type units, who knows. The market is saturated. Best they sit this one out until the next BIG THING comes around.
    Best thing would be to come up with the next big thing But I agree with you, the mobile phone space isnt something to go after. It has become a space where the margins are too thin to make any real separation from the cheaper brands. We are even starting to see Samsung having problems. http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspen...recovery-plan/

Microsoft and Google are the ones who have most in play because of the eco-systems and OS:es. Im not saying Apple because they can sell a brick with their logo on it. No company can serisouly be thinking to reach same position in the near future.

If Microsoft would kill WP, we could eventually see a very different Microsoft than we have used to. The future is in the mobile, if you dont have a succesfull mobile OS, Microsoft would be something totally different than now. I think Microsoft will make it, but they need to spend a lot of time and money. It will be baby steps probably for a long time ahead.
    Last edited by Loco5150; 10-27-2014 at 04:35 PM.
    FinancialP and Beijendorf like this.
    10-27-2014 04:15 PM

Considering Sailfish is Linux-based and Jolla specifically mentioned last year its compatibility with Android devices and their drivers, I'd say it's not so cut and dry. Sailfish could be a real possibility. It would make sense to have employees with Android experience since those would be more readily available than those with Linux and Sailfish combined.
    10-27-2014 04:22 PM
    Remember that a LOT of Nokia employees made up the list of folks to get the axe from Microsoft. I think it is that more than half of the layoffs planned since the acquisition are folks coming from Nokia. So, that could be a number of people without jobs, but with a new home to head to. Then, there's the potential that Nokia penciled in a licensing agreement for their old patents with Microsoft, meaning that while they can't profit from competitors from those patents, they're allowed to use them in the future.

However, I think that manufacturing is the toughest thing to sort. For starters, they're going to truly be rebuilding the brand on their own. They might be a multi-OS option (WP, Android, and maybe even Firefox OS), but they could be lacking the previous Zeiss agreement to get good optics into phones, and they could be without the Lumia brand to boot. If they came back, they might not be any more than a BLU competitor.
    10-27-2014 04:40 PM
    We'll just have to wait and find out.

At this time looks like MicroSoft is not interested in producing anything for 920, 1020, 1520 owners to step upon. The only thing they are producing are low end and mid entry cell phones. I do not see anything which would even turn my head to drop a 920, 1020, 1520 over. Lol if I were going to get one of MicroSofts new phones it would be on a el-cheapo pay as you go plan.

If Nokia would make new phones with good hardware like the 920, 1020, 1520 MicroSoft does not have anything to compete with them. Why would even consider a Yugo if you were shopping Nexus or Mercedes.
    10-27-2014 05:01 PM
    Um.. Have you seen the 930? Pretty sure that's a successor to the 920. It has good hardware, not just good, pretty great hardware. Sometimes I swear that these forums that the worst complainers on Earth.
    10-27-2014 05:13 PM
    Considering Sailfish is Linux-based and Jolla specifically mentioned last year its compatibility with Android devices and their drivers, I'd say it's not so cut and dry. Sailfish could be a real possibility. It would make sense to have employees with Android experience since those would be more readily available than those with Linux and Sailfish combined.
    You have a good point, but I think nave. Do you really think Nokia could make a comeback with Sailfish? It would be a welcome change, but a huge challenge given the struggles MS is having attracting devs.
    10-27-2014 05:23 PM
    Um.. Have you seen the 930? Pretty sure that's a successor to the 920. It has good hardware, not just good, pretty great hardware. Sometimes I swear that these forums that the worst complainers on Earth.
    As been mentioned before ...in the us there's only about to be 2 premium WP....1520 and m8! Verizon axing the icon ! If they don't sell well in the USA.... WP wont succeed! As for the 930........not available here in the us and forget unlocked......most Americans buy thru carriers!
    10-27-2014 05:30 PM
    You have a good point, but I think nave. Do you really think Nokia could make a comeback with Sailfish? It would be a welcome change, but a huge challenge given the struggles MS is having attracting devs.
    That's exactly the point. They wouldn't need to attract devs per se because of the familiarity with the progs.
    Beijendorf likes this.
    10-27-2014 05:50 PM
    Oh god you reminded me of that 30$ Firefox phone that exists, that phone is so bad that it's barely functional. Performance lags the whole time, call quality is weak, there's nothing good about it. It was like if they were testing "How low can you go in terms of a budget phone" and well they figured out that a 30$ next to defective phone isn't worth it.

But ya I agree there can't be to many OSes, while I love competition, to much of it is a bad thing. Just look at all the Android OEMs :P They sure are losing money.
    10-27-2014 06:08 PM
    But dude, they're still making phones, only under the MS brand, this isn't an issue. All the people who are in love with the Nokia brand should realize that they are in the minority, the vast majority of people either don't care for Nokia or even make fun of Nokia.

Lumia is still (compared to Nokia) a new and fresh brand name and instead of deflecting customers it will more likely grab their attention because it's something "new".

Meanwhile all of us Nokia fans will still know in our hearts that at the core of MS Mobile is our beloved Nokia. :)

Sure it sucks to see the name go but I believe it's for the best and that's why it doesn't bother me.
    10-27-2014 06:20 PM
    You have a good point, but I think nave. Do you really think Nokia could make a comeback with Sailfish?

No, like the article says, they'll more than likely start making Android phones. They already have a launcher in the Play Store, and their HERE Maps for Android are fantastic.
    10-27-2014 06:35 PM
    When Nokia does return to the market, I see no reason why they could not continue to produce Windows devices. After all, Nokia commanded the WP market, if they wanna try their hand at Android, fine, but why not go for both markets?

I feel that some people are too quick to assume that Nokia + Android = success. Maybe outside of North America, but here (Canada), there is such an uneducated consumer market, as far as the majority of people are concerned, all that exist are iPhone & Samsung Galaxy (and the last of the old Blackberry users who haven't switched yet). Every time I see a friend on Facebook looking to purchase a new phone, it's "Should I get iPhone or Galaxy?". No one here recognizes Nokia outside of memories of the 3310, no one buys Sony's excellent Android devices. A few who research what is on the market, might grab an LG G-series phone or an HTC one.

Nokia's return to market in North America, no matter what the OS is, would require a massive and excellent marketing campaign in order to even have a chance at cracking into the mindshare of Apple and Samsung (the only two choices as far as the average consumer believes). Beyond that, support from carriers to actually offer the device, and not simply have their sales people steer everyone to iPhone and Galaxy S devices (the unfortunate battle that many of us WP customers have experienced all too well).

In terms of production. Does Nokia re-open one of the old manufacturing facilities in Finland? Do they use the plant in India that didn't go to Microsoft and is being shut down at the moment? Do they use Foxxcon? Most likely, they could probably afford to offer two devices - low end and high end.

If and when Nokia returns, they should not return with a conventional device that will get lost in the crowd, but wait until they can bring to market a true next generation device, making use of their crazy R&D, with graphene, bendable / foldable devices, etc. Something that no one else has up their R&D sleeve. If not, Nokia should simply continue through developing future mobile technologies and profiting from licensing agreements to the other manufacturers for use of Nokia's technology.
    10-27-2014 06:41 PM
    That's exactly the point. They wouldn't need to attract devs per se because of the familiarity with the progs.
    Point taken. I am rooting for this option.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    10-27-2014 07:33 PM
    I would also welcome future WPs as well.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    10-27-2014 07:35 PM
103 1234 ...