Nokia to return in 2016 says Forbes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Um.. Have you seen the 930? Pretty sure that's a successor to the 920. It has good hardware, not just good, pretty great hardware. Sometimes I swear that these forums that the worst complainers on Earth.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Considering Sailfish is Linux-based and Jolla specifically mentioned last year its compatibility with Android devices and their drivers, I'd say it's not so cut and dry. Sailfish could be a real possibility. It would make sense to have employees with Android experience since those would be more readily available than those with Linux and Sailfish combined.

You have a good point, but I think na?ve. Do you really think Nokia could make a comeback with Sailfish? It would be a welcome change, but a huge challenge given the struggles MS is having attracting devs.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Um.. Have you seen the 930? Pretty sure that's a successor to the 920. It has good hardware, not just good, pretty great hardware. Sometimes I swear that these forums that the worst complainers on Earth.
As been mentioned before ...in the us there's only about to be 2 premium WP....1520 and m8! Verizon axing the icon ! If they don't sell well in the USA.... WP wont succeed! As for the 930........not available here in the us and forget unlocked......most Americans buy thru carriers!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You have a good point, but I think na?ve. Do you really think Nokia could make a comeback with Sailfish? It would be a welcome change, but a huge challenge given the struggles MS is having attracting devs.

That's exactly the point. They wouldn't need to attract devs per se because of the familiarity with the progs.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Other companies have tried to introduce new OSes. Firefox OS isn't exactly making a big splash. Ubuntu OS failed its kickstarter miserably. Samsung hasn't bothered doing anything with Tizen OS yet.

Oh god you reminded me of that 30$ Firefox phone that exists, that phone is so bad that it's barely functional. Performance lags the whole time, call quality is weak, there's nothing good about it. It was like if they were testing "How low can you go in terms of a budget phone" and well they figured out that a 30$ next to defective phone isn't worth it.

But ya I agree there can't be to many OSes, while I love competition, to much of it is a bad thing. Just look at all the Android OEMs :p They sure are losing money.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
But dude, they're still making phones, only under the MS brand, this isn't an issue. All the people who are in love with the Nokia brand should realize that they are in the minority, the vast majority of people either don't care for Nokia or even make fun of Nokia.

Lumia is still (compared to Nokia) a new and fresh brand name and instead of deflecting customers it will more likely grab their attention because it's something "new".

Meanwhile all of us Nokia fans will still know in our hearts that at the core of MS Mobile is our beloved Nokia. :)

Sure it sucks to see the name go but I believe it's for the best and that's why it doesn't bother me.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You have a good point, but I think na?ve. Do you really think Nokia could make a comeback with Sailfish?

No, like the article says, they'll more than likely start making Android phones. They already have a launcher in the Play Store, and their HERE Maps for Android are fantastic.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
When Nokia does return to the market, I see no reason why they could not continue to produce Windows devices. After all, Nokia commanded the WP market, if they wanna try their hand at Android, fine, but why not go for both markets?

I feel that some people are too quick to assume that Nokia + Android = success. Maybe outside of North America, but here (Canada), there is such an uneducated consumer market, as far as the majority of people are concerned, all that exist are iPhone & Samsung Galaxy (and the last of the old Blackberry users who haven't switched yet). Every time I see a friend on Facebook looking to purchase a new phone, it's "Should I get iPhone or Galaxy?". No one here recognizes Nokia outside of memories of the 3310, no one buys Sony's excellent Android devices. A few who research what is on the market, might grab an LG G-series phone or an HTC one.

Nokia's return to market in North America, no matter what the OS is, would require a massive and excellent marketing campaign in order to even have a chance at cracking into the mindshare of Apple and Samsung (the only two choices as far as the average consumer believes). Beyond that, support from carriers to actually offer the device, and not simply have their sales people steer everyone to iPhone and Galaxy S devices (the unfortunate battle that many of us WP customers have experienced all too well).

In terms of production. Does Nokia re-open one of the old manufacturing facilities in Finland? Do they use the plant in India that didn't go to Microsoft and is being shut down at the moment? Do they use Foxxcon? Most likely, they could probably afford to offer two devices - low end and high end.

If and when Nokia returns, they should not return with a conventional device that will get lost in the crowd, but wait until they can bring to market a true next generation device, making use of their crazy R&D, with graphene, bendable / foldable devices, etc. Something that no one else has up their R&D sleeve. If not, Nokia should simply continue through developing future mobile technologies and profiting from licensing agreements to the other manufacturers for use of Nokia's technology.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I would also welcome future WPs as well.

Nokia was Windows Phone's #1 OEM since its inception, and after years of trying, they only achieved 3% market share.

If they were to start making Windows Phones again, it would likely be in conjunction with Android handsets. Anything's possible, but it would be weird to see Microsoft Lumia Windows Phones, and Nokia (insert name) Windows Phones on the market together.

If Nokia had plans to continue making Windows Phones, Microsoft probably wouldn't have felt the need to purchase their handset division.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So, this time we can hope for proper Android phone to kick Samsung a**.

Or may be Jolla, Firefox.

Wouldn't that be Nexus, which already exists?

ZTE stated that they won't even bother with selling Firefox OS outside of developing countries.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Wouldn't that be Nexus, which already exists?

ZTE stated that they won't even bother with selling Firefox OS outside of developing countries.

In terms of speed yes. (Even entry level Moto E do basic task faster than s5)

But in Sales Samsung out perform all device Manufacturers.
and Nexus are not designed for consumer but for developers.(niche)

If Nokia will start making phones again in 2016 then Android would be better choice because I think Nokia is more stronger than other brands.
In few countries Nokia is the most trusted brand. So, Nokia can kick Samsung *** if they go with Android.

Jolla and Firefox aren't making any progress.

Crack Pipe

Banned
Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
In terms of speed yes. (Even entry level Moto E do basic task faster than s5)

But in Sales Samsung out perform all device Manufacturers.
and Nexus are not designed for consumer but for developers.(niche)

If Nokia will start making phones again in 2016 then Android would be better choice because I think Nokia is more stronger than other brands.
In few countries Nokia is the most trusted brand. So, Nokia can kick Samsung *** if they go with Android.

Jolla and Firefox aren't making any progress.
But, as the article implies, Nokia has invested heavily in Jolla already and this would allow Nokia to hit the ground running. In the end, who knows?

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
This is already a thing... Or at least has been in the works for a little while. Standard chassis, pick which modules you want and stick them in.
Project Ara
Project Ara: Inside Google's Modular Smartphone

I'm skeptical about Project Ara simply because Project Ara isn't as customizable as it sounds. Ya sure you can change the internal hardware, but that's it. You want to change the shell? You can't. You want to change the colors? You can't (unless you paint it). You want to make it durable... you seriously can't. Project Ara is like having a Lego phone ya sure it's sturdy when you put it together but if you drop it. Well too bad for you cause those pieces are coming off.

If ever there was a way to pick your phone internals, there would need to be standards just like a PC. Buy a shell that fits a (for example) Motherboard size A, another shell could make Motherboard size B fit in and so on and so on. After that you could pick whatever System on a Chip you want (imagine it as a socket then thermal tape it with copper). Then you could fit what camera you wish to use, if the camera is smaller then the hole in the shell well a little clip-on to cover the remaining hole will work. After that you could pick your screen size and resolution (as long as it fits with the standard shell size) and battery.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
One thing playing part here is the fact, that now Nokia can cash in with the mobile phone patents. If they make phones they have to give them out to other phone makers. I suspect they are coming back to consumer space, but not with a phone. Maybe a wearable. If they find the next big thing, I guess the company is on its way again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb