The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-14-2014 08:43 AM
103 12345
tools
    I would also welcome future WPs as well.
    Nokia was Windows Phone's #1 OEM since its inception, and after years of trying, they only achieved 3% market share.

If they were to start making Windows Phones again, it would likely be in conjunction with Android handsets. Anything's possible, but it would be weird to see Microsoft Lumia Windows Phones, and Nokia (insert name) Windows Phones on the market together.

If Nokia had plans to continue making Windows Phones, Microsoft probably wouldn't have felt the need to purchase their handset division.
    FinancialP likes this.
    10-27-2014 09:39 PM
    So, this time we can hope for proper Android phone to kick Samsung a**.

Or may be Jolla, Firefox.
    10-27-2014 10:34 PM
    So, this time we can hope for proper Android phone to kick Samsung a**.

Or may be Jolla, Firefox.

Wouldn't that be Nexus, which already exists?

ZTE stated that they won't even bother with selling Firefox OS outside of developing countries.
    10-27-2014 11:06 PM
    meego ftw
    FinancialP likes this.
    10-28-2014 01:53 AM
    Wouldn't that be Nexus, which already exists?

ZTE stated that they won't even bother with selling Firefox OS outside of developing countries.
    In terms of speed yes. (Even entry level Moto E do basic task faster than s5)

But in Sales Samsung out perform all device Manufacturers.
    and Nexus are not designed for consumer but for developers.(niche)

If Nokia will start making phones again in 2016 then Android would be better choice because I think Nokia is more stronger than other brands.
    In few countries Nokia is the most trusted brand. So, Nokia can kick Samsung *** if they go with Android.

Jolla and Firefox aren't making any progress.
    10-28-2014 02:30 AM
    In terms of speed yes. (Even entry level Moto E do basic task faster than s5)

But in Sales Samsung out perform all device Manufacturers.
    and Nexus are not designed for consumer but for developers.(niche)

If Nokia will start making phones again in 2016 then Android would be better choice because I think Nokia is more stronger than other brands.
    In few countries Nokia is the most trusted brand. So, Nokia can kick Samsung *** if they go with Android.

Jolla and Firefox aren't making any progress.
    But, as the article implies, Nokia has invested heavily in Jolla already and this would allow Nokia to hit the ground running. In the end, who knows?
    10-28-2014 03:03 AM
    But, as the article implies, Nokia has invested heavily in Jolla already and this would allow Nokia to hit the ground running. In the end, who knows?
    MeeGo will always be a better option over android. They should ralther have their own HW instead of using 3rd party.
    10-28-2014 07:13 AM
    This is already a thing... Or at least has been in the works for a little while. Standard chassis, pick which modules you want and stick them in.
    Project Ara
    Project Ara: Inside Google's Modular Smartphone
    10-28-2014 02:44 PM
    This is already a thing... Or at least has been in the works for a little while. Standard chassis, pick which modules you want and stick them in.
    Project Ara
    Project Ara: Inside Google's Modular Smartphone
    I'm skeptical about Project Ara simply because Project Ara isn't as customizable as it sounds. Ya sure you can change the internal hardware, but that's it. You want to change the shell? You can't. You want to change the colors? You can't (unless you paint it). You want to make it durable... you seriously can't. Project Ara is like having a Lego phone ya sure it's sturdy when you put it together but if you drop it. Well too bad for you cause those pieces are coming off.

If ever there was a way to pick your phone internals, there would need to be standards just like a PC. Buy a shell that fits a (for example) Motherboard size A, another shell could make Motherboard size B fit in and so on and so on. After that you could pick whatever System on a Chip you want (imagine it as a socket then thermal tape it with copper). Then you could fit what camera you wish to use, if the camera is smaller then the hole in the shell well a little clip-on to cover the remaining hole will work. After that you could pick your screen size and resolution (as long as it fits with the standard shell size) and battery.
    10-28-2014 03:14 PM
    One thing playing part here is the fact, that now Nokia can cash in with the mobile phone patents. If they make phones they have to give them out to other phone makers. I suspect they are coming back to consumer space, but not with a phone. Maybe a wearable. If they find the next big thing, I guess the company is on its way again.
    Last edited by Loco5150; 10-28-2014 at 04:41 PM.
    aveese likes this.
    10-28-2014 03:29 PM
    Lets hope nokia come back strong
    10-28-2014 04:26 PM
    A smartphone needs a huge App Store to support it, otherwise it's toast. Nokia wouldn't be so stupid as to make a device running Jolla, it would be a complete waste of time.
    10-28-2014 04:38 PM
    To my knowledge Jolla runs Android apps, but still its not the same.
    10-28-2014 04:40 PM
    Nokia had plans to Adopt Android and Nokia x was a test device however microsoft took over and bam the project got shut down but i think if it is to return then they will definitely come with android
    10-28-2014 04:44 PM
    If Nokia would buy Jolla in 2016...

1. ex-Nokians now at Jolla would be returning to Nokia
    2. ex-Nokians who were fired by the layoffs at Microsoft would be returning to Nokia
    3. The N9's MeeGo legacy would continue in Sailfish OS
    4. Sailfish, Linux kernel, is compatible with most Android apps, so a large app market to start with
    5. Those ex-Nokians are all talented (N9 was awesome) and will work together on creating quality products
    6. Nokia's continuing strong brand name and loyalty means that new devices would sell
    7. Nokia still own most of the patents, which Microsoft currently license

Nokia + Jolla Sailfish = Success. Let's just wait for that day...
    Last edited by User788; 10-30-2014 at 09:49 AM.
    maverick786us and Beijendorf like this.
    10-30-2014 09:33 AM
    Nokia was circling the drains long before they did business with MS so it's not as if the "strong brand name" did much to save them so what difference would it make now?
    10-30-2014 11:10 AM
    If Nokia would buy Jolla in 2016...

1. ex-Nokians now at Jolla would be returning to Nokia
    2. ex-Nokians who were fired by the layoffs at Microsoft would be returning to Nokia
    3. The N9's MeeGo legacy would continue in Sailfish OS
    4. Sailfish, Linux kernel, is compatible with most Android apps, so a large app market to start with
    5. Those ex-Nokians are all talented (N9 was awesome) and will work together on creating quality products
    6. Nokia's continuing strong brand name and loyalty means that new devices would sell
    7. Nokia still own most of the patents, which Microsoft currently license

Nokia + Jolla Sailfish = Success. Let's just wait for that day...
    That sounds like a fantasy. I love Nokia too, but after going through lots of thinking, unless Sailfish OS changes the UI, it would be a hard sell. MeeGo was perfect, legendary, but Sailfish is not. And regarding Android apps on Sailfish, Google may block it anytime. Google surely would not want Sailfish to build up success on Google's App Store.

It will be more likely that Nokia will launch new Androids. With Z Launcher probably.
    10-31-2014 07:38 AM
    Wonder if future phones would become like PC. We custom built our own... We buy an empty casing, put whatever CPU, screen size/type, any components we want. Your choice of OS Mix'n' Match phones.
    Check out Google's project ARA.
    10-31-2014 08:04 AM
    And regarding Android apps on Sailfish, Google may block it anytime. Google surely would not want Sailfish to build up success on Google's App Store.
    While I'm by no means a Sailfish expert, and I agree with your general point, I'm pretty sure the above is incorrect.
    I don't see how Google could block anything, because Sailfish is (by default) hooked up to Yandex, not Google Play.
    Beijendorf likes this.
    10-31-2014 08:05 AM
    Google may block it anytime. Google surely would not want Sailfish to build up success on Google's App Store.
    So much for the openness of Android. May as well be another walled garden. No wait, that's iOS right?
    10-31-2014 10:28 AM
    You're right. Sailfish is based on Yandex's app store, not Google.

Even if Yandex would for some reason block Nokia/Jolla, its not the end of the world. In the world of Linux anything is possible, everything's open source and free. They will definitely find some easy way to port apps without any disputions. I love Windows but I equally respect Linux for being so hackable.
    10-31-2014 02:42 PM
    They will definitely find some easy way to port apps without any disputions.
    I don't think you need to port anything at all. If it runs on AOSP Android, it runs on Sailfish (that's what I've read anyway). The only question is whether the Android app store in question accepts connection requests from Sailfish devices. Yandex does. Apparently others do too. Right?
    10-31-2014 03:07 PM
    So much for the openness of Android. May as well be another walled garden.
    A phone OS that lets you set competitors apps and services as defaults is not a walled garden. And if you think Microsoft would let a competing OS "build up success" from it's own app store, then you would probably be wrong. Maybe, I dunno, I took too much pain medication.
    11-01-2014 02:09 AM
    Love it... https://twitter.com/NokiaUS/status/528238476743831552

I dont think it will be a phone though
    11-03-2014 09:08 AM
    I don't think you need to port anything at all. If it runs on AOSP Android, it runs on Sailfish (that's what I've read anyway). The only question is whether the Android app store in question accepts connection requests from Sailfish devices. Yandex does. Apparently others do too. Right?
    Google Play Store requires Google Play Services. You can't get that without licensing from Google.

This is why Blackberry uses the Amazon app store for Android apps.

All this tech around us to enjoy, but we find ourselves waiting on something new,lol.
    11-03-2014 09:59 AM
103 12345