Nokia to return in 2016 says Forbes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
But, as the article implies, Nokia has invested heavily in Jolla already and this would allow Nokia to hit the ground running. In the end, who knows?

A smartphone needs a huge App Store to support it, otherwise it's toast. Nokia wouldn't be so stupid as to make a device running Jolla, it would be a complete waste of time.

betterlife19

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Nokia had plans to Adopt Android and Nokia x was a test device however microsoft took over and bam the project got shut down but i think if it is to return then they will definitely come with android

User788

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
If Nokia would buy Jolla in 2016...

1. ex-Nokians now at Jolla would be returning to Nokia
2. ex-Nokians who were fired by the layoffs at Microsoft would be returning to Nokia
3. The N9's MeeGo legacy would continue in Sailfish OS
4. Sailfish, Linux kernel, is compatible with most Android apps, so a large app market to start with
5. Those ex-Nokians are all talented (N9 was awesome) and will work together on creating quality products
6. Nokia's continuing strong brand name and loyalty means that new devices would sell
7. Nokia still own most of the patents, which Microsoft currently license

Nokia + Jolla Sailfish = Success. Let's just wait for that day...

Last edited:

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Nokia was circling the drains long before they did business with MS so it's not as if the "strong brand name" did much to save them so what difference would it make now?

PepsimanLeh

May 19, 2013
Visit site
If Nokia would buy Jolla in 2016...

1. ex-Nokians now at Jolla would be returning to Nokia
2. ex-Nokians who were fired by the layoffs at Microsoft would be returning to Nokia
3. The N9's MeeGo legacy would continue in Sailfish OS
4. Sailfish, Linux kernel, is compatible with most Android apps, so a large app market to start with
5. Those ex-Nokians are all talented (N9 was awesome) and will work together on creating quality products
6. Nokia's continuing strong brand name and loyalty means that new devices would sell
7. Nokia still own most of the patents, which Microsoft currently license

Nokia + Jolla Sailfish = Success. Let's just wait for that day...

That sounds like a fantasy. I love Nokia too, but after going through lots of thinking, unless Sailfish OS changes the UI, it would be a hard sell. MeeGo was perfect, legendary, but Sailfish is not. And regarding Android apps on Sailfish, Google may block it anytime. Google surely would not want Sailfish to build up success on Google's App Store.

It will be more likely that Nokia will launch new Androids. With Z Launcher probably.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
And regarding Android apps on Sailfish, Google may block it anytime. Google surely would not want Sailfish to build up success on Google's App Store.
While I'm by no means a Sailfish expert, and I agree with your general point, I'm pretty sure the above is incorrect.
I don't see how Google could block anything, because Sailfish is (by default) hooked up to Yandex, not Google Play.

User788

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
You're right. Sailfish is based on Yandex's app store, not Google.

Even if Yandex would for some reason block Nokia/Jolla, its not the end of the world. In the world of Linux anything is possible, everything's open source and free. They will definitely find some easy way to port apps without any disputions. I love Windows but I equally respect Linux for being so hackable.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
They will definitely find some easy way to port apps without any disputions.

I don't think you need to port anything at all. If it runs on AOSP Android, it runs on Sailfish (that's what I've read anyway). The only question is whether the Android app store in question accepts connection requests from Sailfish devices. Yandex does. Apparently others do too. Right?

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
So much for the openness of Android. May as well be another walled garden.

A phone OS that lets you set competitors apps and services as defaults is not a walled garden. And if you think Microsoft would let a competing OS "build up success" from it's own app store, then you would probably be wrong. Maybe, I dunno, I took too much pain medication.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you need to port anything at all. If it runs on AOSP Android, it runs on Sailfish (that's what I've read anyway). The only question is whether the Android app store in question accepts connection requests from Sailfish devices. Yandex does. Apparently others do too. Right?

Google Play Store requires Google Play Services. You can't get that without licensing from Google.

This is why Blackberry uses the Amazon app store for Android apps.

All this tech around us to enjoy, but we find ourselves waiting on something new,lol.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Nokia are reportedly working on an Android flagship device. Only problem is they won't be able to call it a Nokia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss