1030: a niche 1020 successor, or a true flagship phone... which do we want more?

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I think we really need a 1020 successor. People would talk about how CRAZY 41MP is for a smartphone and it would be free marketing for Microsoft Lumia and Windows.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Both, also I hope the 1020 successor has a dedicated image chip on board (similar to or better than the 808's broadcom chip) along with a ND filter.
There was a guy on here a while back that was using different ND filters attached to his 1020 with rubber bands lol... funny thing is it worked!
I think we really need a 1020 successor. People would talk about how CRAZY 41MP is for a smartphone and it would be free marketing for Microsoft Lumia and Windows.

Didn't they try that with the 1020? Word of mouth about how great the camera was on the 1020 didn't really stop people from lining up for the new iPhone sadly...

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
There was a guy on here a while back that was using different ND filters attached to his 1020 with rubber bands lol... funny thing is it worked!

Lol, seriously?!

Now if I had a 3D printer.. :grin:

Didn't they try that with the 1020? Word of mouth about how great the camera was on the 1020 didn't really stop people from lining up for the new iPhone sadly...

Well, sadly you can't talk any sense into some of these people... lol...

If I had the money, I'd pay a friend to get me one at launch and smash it in front of the crowd with a sledgehamer just to see if that broke the "spell". :evil: :winktongue: .

Joking aside, there is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJV_zTy_1x4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlgGSbkzma4

National Geographic photographer explores American West with Nokia Lumia 1020 - Lumia Conversations

I showed this to a few apple addicts back last year and all I got was a "meh. my iphone takes better pictures".. soo yeah..

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
What's needed is a completely new game changing tech. A better camera, more RAM wont do it. The camera will be called inferior to the iphone by clueless sites like dxdo and the increased RAM or screen res will be surpassed by android devices in a month. What's needed is something that cant be challenged, that truly stands uniquely among smartphones. Anything else will not move the needle for WP. Unsurprisingly that's easier said than done but that's the only thing that would be a worthwhile flagship.

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Lol, seriously?!

Now if I had a 3D printer.. :grin:

Well, sadly you can't talk any sense into some of these people... lol...

If I had the money, I'd pay a friend to get me one at launch and smash it in front of the crowd with a sledgehamer just to see if that broke the "spell". :evil: :winktongue: .

Joking aside, there is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJV_zTy_1x4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlgGSbkzma4

National Geographic photographer explores American West with Nokia Lumia 1020 - Lumia Conversations

I showed this to a few apple addicts back last year and all I got was a "meh. my iphone takes better pictures".. soo yeah..
Wow. Really? Apple fans say that? Now I hate them more than ever LOL

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I agree. We need something that no other company has. Something that will blow the minds of the people.

I read something months ago about a touch screen that lifts up or something... I can't explain it properly lol I'm really not good at English. It's like the virtual keyboard will lift up, requiring the user to CLICK it (just like a real keyboard) whenever they're typing

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Who knows what's in store for phone camera technology.
More and more photo journalists shoot with phones now.

Look and feel is vital for a lot of pro photographers meaning they want to handle a camera that feels like a camera.
I know I was a bit startled at the quality of pics taken with my 521 when I was exploring the world of the smartphone initially.

I'm almost sure the existing NOKIA Oyj and others like SONY have prototypes right now that will blow my socks off camera-wise.
Heck what would happen if NIKON, Minolta, Panasonic\Leica and Canon turn their attention to the mobile device market.

Something I always overlook is the video capabilities of these phones.
I'm sure many of us have hundreds or more in dollars of video cameras sitting in boxes unused.

I'm thinking the future is here and we'll see it very soon.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree. We need something that no other company has. Something that will blow the minds of the people.

I read something months ago about a touch screen that lifts up or something... I can't explain it properly lol I'm really not good at English. It's like the virtual keyboard will lift up, requiring the user to CLICK it (just like a real keyboard) whenever they're typing

I believe this is the one you're thinking of... Tactus Technology ?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Wow. Really? Apple fans say that? Now I hate them more than ever LOL

Lol, some are just too far gone and nothing will "cure" them of their "addiction"..:grincry:
Having said that not all that closed minded :).

Look and feel is vital for a lot of pro photographers meaning they want to handle a camera that feels like a camera.
I know I was a bit startled at the quality of pics taken with my 521 when I was exploring the world of the smartphone initially.

I'm almost sure the existing NOKIA Oyj and others like SONY have prototypes right now that will blow my socks off camera-wise.
Heck what would happen if NIKON, Minolta, Panasonic\Leica and Canon turn their attention to the mobile device market.

I'm sure many of us have hundreds or more in dollars of video cameras sitting in boxes unused.

That is true, when you think about it and also with the advent of smartphones people are catching more & more with their smartphones especially when a natural disaster happens.
However if the camera companies into the smartphone scene that would be interesting, just hope they don't replicate this mishap :grincry:Face-Detection Cameras: Glitches Spur Charges of Racism - TIME

Or they don't make anything remotely similar to the monstrosity that is the galaxy zoom... lol.

I believe this is the one you're thinking of... Tactus Technology ?

Mind blown!

Just hope a company doesn't buy them out and shelves everything... that would be a total loss for humanity.
As with this tech physical keys will no longer need to be manufactured therefore reducing a lot of waste and byproducts that are released / dumped.

Also it i just me or there is no audio in the videos??

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site

Panasonic is already testing the water with the new Lumix dmc-cm1, I ordered one from Panasonic UK last week so eagerly awaiting it's arrival. MS really need a flagship that stands out to be relevant in the market, 1020 is widely accepted as the standard for mobile photography but from what I have seen of the cm1 it's pushing the standards into RX100 M3 territory.

Won't ever let go of my 1020 but the cm1 ticks all the right boxes apart from Android. Now is the time for MS to show us their hand and bring the wow factor back into WP.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I say the 1030 will be THE FLAGSHIP. Best camera in the biz, powerful running gear, I am guessing it will be available with 64gb and 128gb, 3gb ram and a decent processor. No SD card slot however. Really don't need one with increased memory onboard and onedrive. Size wize, I hope they keep it under 5". It need not be any bigger. and keep some girth to it. Slim is NOT the best.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What if the shell incorporated the Camera Grip add on of the 1020? All one piece with the phone and including a dedicated trigger? Maybe add a timer button or some other hard wired controls?

Then everyone would freak when you took a call on your camera. :grin:

Nemesis-X

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

I think the real problem that Windows Phone faces isn't about the tech that's put into the phone. It's the number one explanation that general non forum people say when you mention Windows Phone and that's "LACK OF APPS". And moreso the perceived lack of apps because as many of us here know, the App store for WP has many apps that are 3rd party and even 1st party that can provide a very good app experience.

But what needs to be changed is that whole App perception of the public, because Apple and Android has hammered that home ever since apps became a thing.

You can put the best camera in the phone with the best hardware and specs but as long as the Normals see WP as having no apps, or not having Their apps, then sales will continue to suck and marketshare will remain low.

I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on my opinion : )

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I agree, the persona of no apps is the thing Microsoft needs to take care of. Most every app that I need is on my phone. However, all the store apps etc are not yet. Microsoft needs to get on the ball and convince them to make the apps. As do the user population. That being said, Everyone here lately is ******** about not having a "flagship". I think the 1020, icon and 1520 are just fine flagships. they run the OS fast, and the hardware is top notch. I don't get the flagship argument.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
As long as there's a wishlist...
How about native Bluetooth/wireless photo flash attachment control via an application for any Lumia camera phone?

anon(27512)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping the 1030 will be a flagship device. Im resisting the urge to buy a 1520. I've been interested in windows phone for awhile and now it is finally starting to get the apps I use regularly. Hoping the first Microsoft lumia will be a flagship.

secher

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't want it to be larger than 5"... Around the size of the 930, and with a flatter camera module.
At one point, there were rumors about Nokia looking into pelican imaging...
Pelican Imaging. Life in 3D.
With an array of smaller cameras, depth information is included in the each picture, so true refocusing can be done after the picture is taken. Also the camera doesn't need to focus to take a picture.

The specs should be good enough to make people want it, even without the camera.
Newest snapdragon, and a lot of ram is fine for me :)

I would love to get the 1020 successor, but really at this point, I would probably buy any new flagship phone from Microsoft... :)

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Probably what microsoft needs to do is find a way to allow WP to run Android apps as though they were native.. would solve the app problem in one fell swoop, and can then focus on perceived benefits of UI, camera tech, battery life etc. Don't know how feasible this is though?

On the camera MP side, 50+ MP would be an important improvement. I think people are missing the point when they talk about the oversampled 5MP photos you can share online. The real benefit in my mind (for the casual user) is the lossless post-hoc digital zoom. It's currently 4x, but I think this could be a real selling point if improved to 8x, 10x, 20x etc over time.

On a separate note, I don't understand why this lossless zoom tech hasn't yet been incorporated into compact digital cameras - if you coupled it with eg 20x optical zoom, results could be incredible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo