02-03-2015 04:22 AM
54 123
tools
    TL;DR: Nobody would buy a camera with a 1/12" sensor and a 1.12 m pixel size. Fully "digitally zooming" on a Nokia Lumia 1020 is just that.
    It's like you almost understand, but then hit a brick wall. I'll let the experts over at dpreview do the talking for me this time: "Zoom Image Quality[/COLOR]
    Nokia takes advantage of its big, high-res sensor to offer a true novelty: a digital zoom that doesn’t suck. A “digital zoom” traditionally means cropping the image and then upsampling it to the camera’s native resolution. Since you can’t create image data from thin air, heavy upsampling results in the soft, detail-impoverished images we’ve come to expect from digital zooming. The 1020’s high native resolution means that even with some cropping (zoom) applied, the image is still downsampled through most of the zoom range. You get a 2.7X zoom ratio (a 74mm equivalent in 4:3 mode) before the cropped image hits 5MP. The same digital zoom ratio on an 8MP camera results in a 1MP image being blown back up, with predictably underwhelming results.
    ]Introduction: Do you need 41 megapixels? Our Nokia Lumia 1020 camera review: Connect
    In the example above, we see the Lumia 1020 zoomed in to its maximum digital magnification. In this example we see an iPhone 5 zoomed in to provide a roughly equivalent field of view. In the 100% crops below, it’s clear how much more detail the 1020 retains during digital zooming.
    100% crop 100% crop
    In good light, quality drops off relatively little when zooming, thanks to the 1020’s solid low ISO performance. With a moderate zoom setting, the loss is negligible. At full zoom, when you’re getting un-oversampled output from the sensor, the quality remains good but noise is definitely more present.
    At higher ISOs, image quality drops more as the 1020 doesn’t get to average out noise in the downsampling process. That said, at ISO 800, even at full zoom, image quality remains quite steady at screen resolutions: you have to get down to pixel level to see how more noise is cutting down on detail.
    Our verdict is that while the zoom isn’t quite “lossless,” we wouldn’t hesitate to use it under most any lighting condition. Plus, if you’re saving the full-res file as well, you can always get back to the original, unzoomed image."

If you still aren't able to understand the advantage of additional pixels on improved zoom capabilities, so be it.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-20-2015 06:44 PM
    If you still aren't able to understand the advantage of additional pixels on improved zoom capabilities, so be it.
    That wasn't even what we discussed. The point you were originally making was that more megapixels = more zoom. You also made statements about how the digital zoom is indeed lossless and wondered why genuine camera manufacturers didn't join the bandwagon.

I've never questioned whether a 41 MP sensor could outperform an 8 MP sensor in digital zooming. Don't give me that strawman argument. What you said was that you wanted an even higher resolution sensor for even more zooming. But that's not how this whole thing works. You get smaller sensor pixels and more noise. The DPReview you linked even points out the noise in the zoomed image at lower light levels which was previously only countered by oversampling in an un-zoomed image. Additionally, since practically nobody brings a tripod for their cellphone, you'll also get quite a bit of motion blur even with steady hands. That is just going to be amplified the higher resolution sensor you have.

You don't get a better image just by adding more and more megapixels and you can't replace an optical zoom with a 100 MP smartphone camera.
    01-22-2015 06:01 PM
    You know when I think about it, the 1030 would more like an official flagship phone for the Windows 10 MOS. Why? Because to its number. The Lumia 10xx series and Windows 10 would make a logical counterpart to each other, and they both are 10. So the Lumia would be more of a flagship, with massive camera.
    01-24-2015 10:19 AM
    Well, its on it's way. Qualcomm and Microsoft have sneaked out that there is a 810 equipped flagship Lumia coming in the future. I am hoping that they sell it unlocked from the MS store. That way I can just buy one and get updates faster.
    duvik7 likes this.
    02-03-2015 04:22 AM
54 123