Who wants this? W10 Flagship "Surface Phone"

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Kindergarten colors? Have you not seen the black/red/navy/purple covers for the pro 3? They sure as heck don't scream look at me I'm a skittles wannabe to me. A surface phone /could/ work if it had bo_woods' idea about a detachable sturdy magnesium alloy keyboard or something similar to the keyboard on old Sidekicks. Imagine that one wierd Sony tablet where the screen slid up to reveal the keyboard, but on a 5.5" phone with an integrated stylus a la surface pro. I'd sell a kidney just to get my hands on one of those if it existed.

Exactly! it would work fine... the keyboard would just need to be detachable

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The problem with detachable keyboards is them becoming detached when not desired. Sturdy slider all the way for me.

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I'd be interested in a 1520 successor that supports its own stylus like the Galaxy Notes, has a landscape slider keyboard, and is built with the same Mg alloy as the Surface. Preferably with the same body design too. Promote the handwriting features of OneNote for the stylus.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The problem with detachable keyboards is them becoming detached when not desired. Sturdy slider all the way for me.

Pushing a smartphone with a physical keyboard that cant be removed in 2015?

thatll never catch on and the phone will be laughed at by anyone who isnt a tech enthusiast

My concept of a Surface like MS phone was more along the lines of an all around flagship that can be the BEST and compete against other flagship phones, like the iphone, not a niche minority device like those blackberries with small screens and big keyboards that dont have even the slightest chance of ever becoming popular and in the hands of millions of average consumers like before the iPhone came along and changed the game.

My idea was an all around great phone like the 920, or 930, with a XL variant like the 1520...
So microsoft can have a clean line up... Surface Phone & Surface Phone XL

They would have the best specs to fight android
and the best experience, and beautiful designs to fight ios
and they would throw in their own Surface styled uniqueness by throwing in a detachable sturdy keyboard that'll allow it to be used like any other phone with a physical keyboard, but detachable and doubled as a stylish flip cover... it would be perfect! Can appeal to any and every one, and would pose a threat to every Flagship phone out there whether it is up against a beauty or a beast, an iphone, or a galaxy, a galaxy zoom, or a blackberry passport.

and the keyboard detaching when not wanting it to detach wouldn't and shouldn't be a problem because not only would it most likely have Surface like magnets (which are very strong), but the keyboard doubles as a cover remember, so it could simply hold onto the back of the device like any other phone cover, like the one made for the 1520 by Nokia, not just clip onto the side.

both devices should also have pen support so the OneNote experience can be the same as it is on the Surface Tablets

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I kinda hope you're right. Trouble is, anything MS do in the phone segment will, just in terms of numbers, be niche. Windows 10 Mobile will still be laughed at by most people. There's only two real ways MS can grow market share - innovation or legislation. They've not been innovative and legislators aren't bothered about the Android/iOS duopoly. So really all they can do is cater for a niche and hope to grow it.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
By the time Microsoft ever get around to releasing a flagship, Nokia will be back in the game to pick up where they left off.

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I love your idea but you need to "sex it up"... maybe a Leather Back... make it stand out in business environment... pulling out a Nokia phone with all the pretty colors looks foolish in the business world....

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Man oh man. This is exactly the kind of flagship I would want whether or not I would use the pen or not. I would use the pen a lot with a Sketchbook Express app and be able to sync with OneDrive. That would be amazing. But a quick 20+ megapixel camera and most of all AVAILABLE on all three major US carriers and other countries and this phone would knockout 90% of the competition just on hardware alone. Windows 10 Mobile will be fully featured and us already more customizable than ever. This would be a huge success.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes