07-08-2015 03:36 PM
29 12
tools
    Hey guys,
    I have been looking for an upgrade to my 1520, for 6 months or so.
    I have been thinking for a while now i would really like to see a Microsoft surface Phone.

I love my surface pro 3 (and before that the pro 2) but sometimes i just cannot carry something that large around with me if i am not in meetings etc. I have a Lumia 1520 but inputing data on it quickly is a pain.

I would love a 6" phone, magensium alloy and surface pro styling (well this is optional) But for it to have a stylus and a full features one note integration with it. Sort of like the Note 4. But full microsoft.

I think this would be a perfect phone, of course people do not have to use it with a style, a lot of note users do not use the stylus. But it gives options for people.

I always have my phone on me, but sometimes the surface is left in the office etc. Being able to scribble notes on the road would be epic!

Who else thinks this is a great idea? Obviously people who do not like big phones will not like the idea, but with the growing trend for phablets, i think this is a great oppurtinity for MS to take.
    12-14-2014 05:47 PM
    I'd like one.
    12-14-2014 06:29 PM
    I know exactly how you feel, and would LOVE this. But for me, it would have to be a Nokia
    12-14-2014 06:41 PM
    Exactly what I am looking for
    12-14-2014 06:45 PM
    I'm sure the Lumia division would be engineering this device so it would have that "Nokia" quality. A surface phone has been fantasized about ever since the first Surface model was announced. I myself would love one however I don't agree with a six inch phone. A phone is a phone and should be able to be used comfortably with one hand which with my hands is no more than five inches (and I have pretty big hands) of course others have differing opinions so it would be interesting to see how they would play this aspect out if they were to make this device a reality.
    12-14-2014 06:57 PM
    I imagine if Microsoft is going to finally do a Surface Phone, they'll release it in a mainstream form factor. Like 5", maybe 5.2" max. If it sells well you might see a 6" version...
    12-14-2014 07:14 PM
    I imagine if Microsoft is going to finally do a Surface Phone, they'll release it in a mainstream form factor. Like 5", maybe 5.2" max. If it sells well you might see a 6" version...
    At that point they should just stick to the five inch form factor and release a smaller Surface tablet. They would technically be following in Apple's footsteps but **** it worked right?
    12-14-2014 07:30 PM
    I would love to see a windows phone that has surface design
    12-15-2014 07:00 PM
    No. Magnesium is heavy and has a cold feel. Also it lacks color.

I want high quality plastic in amazing colors. Aka L920.
    920Walker likes this.
    12-15-2014 07:29 PM
    Plastic, stylus, not Verizon. I'd get it. Six inch or 5.5.
    920Walker likes this.
    12-16-2014 01:16 AM
    I would love magnesium surface 3 style phone
    12-22-2014 01:56 AM
    Have been wanting a high-end, 5.5 inch flagship "Surface Phone" forever. I sure hope Microsoft develops one soon...
    12-28-2014 10:40 PM
    I'd love to see it. Honestly, not everyone like plastic and the styling of the Lumia. To make a Surface phone makes sense now since it won't compete against Nokia.
    01-06-2015 08:23 PM
    Hottest Surface Phone concept out there:

Surface Phone - nadir aslam art&designnadir aslam art & design

I hope Microsoft sees it!
    sleeve22 and RaRa85 like this.
    06-13-2015 10:30 PM
    Case material is low on my spec list. Far higher is a 6" screen with processor speed high enough to handle real software when the phone is docked. As the Surface transformed the laptop, Surface phone would transform the phone if it had the above.
    06-15-2015 06:41 PM
    Wow! Very nice presentation. I just don't see a keyboard that small being useful. Maybe it could be a bifold affording a larger area for the keys.
    06-15-2015 07:33 PM
    Wow! Very nice presentation. I just don't see a keyboard that small being useful. Maybe it could be a bifold affording a larger area for the keys.
    A surface phone keyboard could actually be very useful if they make it in sturdy enough way where it can support the phone. It could then be used like an old fashioned phone with physical keyboard, except this keyboard can be snapped off... I even made thread about how it would indeed work...
    06-15-2015 08:03 PM
    No. Magnesium is heavy and has a cold feel. Also it lacks color.

I want high quality plastic in amazing colors. Aka L920.
    the Surface brand has this weird double edge to it - the professionalism of the Pro chassis and the kindergarten colours of some of the type cover accessories. if they did decide to do a phone, i reckon they should stick to professionals, leave the Skittles colours for the Lumias.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-15-2015 08:10 PM
    I still think a Surface Phone & Surface Phone XL should be Microsofts flagship phone line, and that Lumia should be strictly a budget phone brand, making devices that hit competitive price points getting as many new smartphone users around the world,and budget users period onto Windows
    EMINENT 1 likes this.
    06-15-2015 08:31 PM
    the Surface brand has this weird double edge to it - the professionalism of the Pro chassis and the kindergarten colours of some of the type cover accessories. if they did decide to do a phone, i reckon they should stick to professionals, leave the Skittles colours for the Lumias.
    Kindergarten colors? Have you not seen the black/red/navy/purple covers for the pro 3? They sure as heck don't scream look at me I'm a skittles wannabe to me. A surface phone /could/ work if it had bo_woods' idea about a detachable sturdy magnesium alloy keyboard or something similar to the keyboard on old Sidekicks. Imagine that one wierd Sony tablet where the screen slid up to reveal the keyboard, but on a 5.5" phone with an integrated stylus a la surface pro. I'd sell a kidney just to get my hands on one of those if it existed.
    06-15-2015 08:33 PM
    Kindergarten colors? Have you not seen the black/red/navy/purple covers for the pro 3? They sure as heck don't scream look at me I'm a skittles wannabe to me. A surface phone /could/ work if it had bo_woods' idea about a detachable sturdy magnesium alloy keyboard or something similar to the keyboard on old Sidekicks. Imagine that one wierd Sony tablet where the screen slid up to reveal the keyboard, but on a 5.5" phone with an integrated stylus a la surface pro. I'd sell a kidney just to get my hands on one of those if it existed.
    Exactly! it would work fine... the keyboard would just need to be detachable
    06-15-2015 08:53 PM
    The problem with detachable keyboards is them becoming detached when not desired. Sturdy slider all the way for me.
    06-15-2015 08:56 PM
    I'd be interested in a 1520 successor that supports its own stylus like the Galaxy Notes, has a landscape slider keyboard, and is built with the same Mg alloy as the Surface. Preferably with the same body design too. Promote the handwriting features of OneNote for the stylus.
    06-15-2015 09:27 PM
    The problem with detachable keyboards is them becoming detached when not desired. Sturdy slider all the way for me.
    Pushing a smartphone with a physical keyboard that cant be removed in 2015?

thatll never catch on and the phone will be laughed at by anyone who isnt a tech enthusiast

My concept of a Surface like MS phone was more along the lines of an all around flagship that can be the BEST and compete against other flagship phones, like the iphone, not a niche minority device like those blackberries with small screens and big keyboards that dont have even the slightest chance of ever becoming popular and in the hands of millions of average consumers like before the iPhone came along and changed the game.

My idea was an all around great phone like the 920, or 930, with a XL variant like the 1520...
    So microsoft can have a clean line up... Surface Phone & Surface Phone XL

They would have the best specs to fight android
    and the best experience, and beautiful designs to fight ios
    and they would throw in their own Surface styled uniqueness by throwing in a detachable sturdy keyboard that'll allow it to be used like any other phone with a physical keyboard, but detachable and doubled as a stylish flip cover... it would be perfect! Can appeal to any and every one, and would pose a threat to every Flagship phone out there whether it is up against a beauty or a beast, an iphone, or a galaxy, a galaxy zoom, or a blackberry passport.

and the keyboard detaching when not wanting it to detach wouldn't and shouldn't be a problem because not only would it most likely have Surface like magnets (which are very strong), but the keyboard doubles as a cover remember, so it could simply hold onto the back of the device like any other phone cover, like the one made for the 1520 by Nokia, not just clip onto the side.

both devices should also have pen support so the OneNote experience can be the same as it is on the Surface Tablets
    06-15-2015 09:31 PM
    I kinda hope you're right. Trouble is, anything MS do in the phone segment will, just in terms of numbers, be niche. Windows 10 Mobile will still be laughed at by most people. There's only two real ways MS can grow market share - innovation or legislation. They've not been innovative and legislators aren't bothered about the Android/iOS duopoly. So really all they can do is cater for a niche and hope to grow it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-15-2015 09:52 PM
29 12