[Discussion] Microsoft Lumia 1530 your thoughts?

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
The Lumia 1520 is currently great as it is. Would like to see a bit of metal on it. Obviously better specs like 4gb ram, SD810 would be nice. IMO the main camera is good enough. It is a phablet after all, and the best camera should be on the 10xx series.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Stop wasting time on such debates.... It will never happen anymore. MS is not making new flagships till late of next year. Even by then, you sure it will still be a flagship as compared to other platforms counterparts???

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Stop wasting time on such debates.... It will never happen anymore. MS is not making new flagships till late of next year. Even by then, you sure it will still be a flagship as compared to other platforms counterparts???

Yeah. The flagships coming will be better than those on other platforms. The Lumia 1520 is already better than most competitors.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. The flagships coming will be better than those on other platforms. The Lumia 1520 is already better than most competitors.

Really?? Such a big screen yet not leveraging the big screen estate. And to make things worse, phantom taps are happening on lots of 1520 with no software can ever fix it. I'm not betting much on WP looking at things currently.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
The Lumia 1520 is currently great as it is. Would like to see a bit of metal on it. Obviously better specs like 4gb ram, SD810 would be nice. IMO the main camera is good enough. It is a phablet after all, and the best camera should be on the 10xx series.

What would u use 4GB Ram for on a phone?

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Round corners and little smaller, maybe 5.8". Rather 20mp camera than the huge sensor that the 1020 has. Of course all other updated specs should be included.

Now that Im thinking of it, it probably isnt coming as how much of a upgrade it really could be at this point?

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
What would u use 4GB Ram for on a phone?

As technology develops, apps use more and more ram. People used to think 512mb ram was enough on the desktop...

It is more of a future proof thing as apps become larger and windows phone allows more multitasking, with less resuming screen.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
If recent reports about the discontuance of the 1520 is true; wouldn't it make sense to have a Flagship earlier than 6 months? Right now the 1520 on GSM and ICON on CDMA are what we call Flagship phones. Both appear to be out of production. If MS waits for many months to bring new ones to market, I believe they will kill the upper end Window Phones completely.

My guess is that they will announce at least two Flagship devices based on 801 or 805 processors in the next 90 days. These will be guaranteed to have the hardware to take full advantage of Win 10 but fill the gap until Win 10 is introduced.

Other than a fleeting thought about this, I have no supporting info to back it up. I just can't imagine MS is willing to loose all momentum if they don't have flagship phones before 3/4 2015.

What say YE?

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
^^^ I have to agree.

The strategy of filling in the bottom tier of hardware to bolster user share and attract emerging markets is wearing thin.

Microsoft needs top tier hardware with some "wow" to get favorable tech press. They need that favorable tech press early, often and sustained throughout 2015. Windows 10 will be coming in fits and starts with very little of it in the hands of consumers until Autumn. (Yes, I know the Preview on desktop has a lot of users - I said consumers, not chip heads.) A stunning flagship soon and another one to two as follow up through about July would take us into the Autumn release cycle quite nicely. GDR 2 is heavily rumored and needs a "hero" phone.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I hope they avoid the thumbprint thing. It's unnecessary and stupid, with potential for things like nefarious collection of such information for no reason. Entering numbers on a keypad isn't that hard (though I don't even use security on my phone because there's nothing valuable on it).

As for what I'd want...nothing. The 1530 doesn't suit me because I don't find it to be portable enough. However, I'll say that I'm not in-favor of a metal body because they conduct heat too well (meaning it can get annoyingly hot and cold to the touch when left in a hot/cold area), and it would likely be similar to the One (M8), where the metal is too slick to use without a case, meaning t he more-expensive (and not-more-durable) metal chassis is hidden from sight. So, I'd prefer sticking to polycarbonate as the main body. I also don't care for that metal band on the 830/930. I know it's supposed to be used for improved reception, and I could live with it, but I don't find it aesthetically pleasing.

On the internals side, I have such low expectations from Microsoft that my wants are few. I'd want a Snapdragon 810 and an improved 20-MP camera. 32 GB of built-in storage, preferably with microSD storage included. I'd want an IPS display at 1080p, as anything higher is an unnecessary drain on the battery, in the name of pushing pixels that are mostly indiscernible. However, Microsoft showed up with the 830 that they are cheap, and we might have to settle for a crappy 805 (compared to the 810), 20 MP camera, and 16 GB of on-board storage.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft needs top tier hardware with some "wow" to get favorable tech press.

My opinion is that the problem is software, not hardware. I know that we here are WP fans, but the market has indicated that WP is not ready to run with the big boys. Until then, no amount of stunning hardware will do the trick.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
If recent reports about the discontuance of the 1520 is true; wouldn't it make sense to have a Flagship earlier than 6 months? Right now the 1520 on GSM and ICON on CDMA is what we call Flagship phones. Both appear to be out of production. If MS waits for many months to bring new ones to market, I believe they will kill the upper end Window Phones completely.

My guess is that they will announce at least two Flagship devices based on 801 or 805 processors in the next 90 days. These will be guaranteed to have the hardware to take full advantage of Win 10 but fill the gap until Win 10 is introduced.

Other than a fleeting thought about this, I have no supporting info to back it up. I just can't imagine MS is willing to loose all momentum if they don't have flagship phones before 3/4 2015.

What say YE?

I guess people will not accept there are no flagships coming unless Microsoft announces it. People can fantasize to their heart's content and it is not happening. Referring to the 830 as the affordable flagship should be the equivalent of a big flashing neon sign but some just don't want to read it. There are no high end phones in the immediate pipeline since all of the effort is going into the new OS. Quiet frankly depending upon how well the entry and mid-level strategy goes, there might not even be any high end announcements with the release of the OS. High end devices have consistently sold poorly and that hurts the brand more than selling lower end devices. Pushing more entry level devices creates a large user base as well to whom they can sell higher end devices in the future.

The fact is no one is going to release a high end/expensive money loser at this point just to make the 2% happy. Like it or not, the market is also still centered on the US and I doubt you would get any carrier to pick it up as anything more than a limited run exclusive with Microsoft picking up the tab. All of that runs contrary to the CEO's approach or do people think the Surface Mini was cancelled just before release on a whim? Go on with your debate but you might as well be debating the shape of unicorn horns. What you see is what you get and it will be that way until at least when the new OS is unveiled with a release date. I would be surprised to see anything more than 500 - 800 series announcements for the foreseeable future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb