01-12-2015 05:06 AM
39 12
tools
    Good point. So far Microsoft has broken the pattern by releasing a slew of models over a longer period than traditional, after trade and industry event time frames. They have really drawn it out by an appreciable amount.

I have a feeling they were "blowing out" the Nokia stuff on the drawing board and wiping the slate clean.

Will they continue to vary their release times? We shall see.
    That's been my thought. I think all these recent models have been left overs from Nokia. We'll start fresh with W10 and I do hope it is completely fresh.
    01-07-2015 09:03 AM
    I don't see why so many people are so eager to get rushed products? I rather have a consistent speed of high-quality phones to choose from than go the Android-way.
    You my friend took the words out of my comment, precisely.
    01-07-2015 10:17 AM
    I don't see why so many people are so eager to get rushed products? I rather have a consistent speed of high-quality phones to choose from than go the Android-way.
    Personal preferences aside, "a consistent speed of high-quality phones to choose from" IS the "Android-way."
    01-07-2015 10:34 AM
    If you could point out what 'rushed' products you're referring to and provide proof they're 'rushed' I'd agree with you.

I really dislike this 'holier than thou' attitude that people have about Nokia hardware. The Lumia 920, 820, 520, 620, 720, 925 and 1020 (and their variants) were all released in less than a year. Were these 'rushed' products as well?
    01-07-2015 10:49 AM
    Honestly the way I see Microsoft's release of phones is kind of like the video game industry. You get a whole lot of great games at Q4 (Between October to December) of the year and sometimes in Q1(January to March) but during the summer there's a "drought" of AAA games. Same thing with phones, at Q4 that's where the majority of phones come out. Microsoft however seems to try and fill the "drought" of Q2 and Q3 with low end phones.

Well that's the way I see it anyway so I could be completely wrong on that.
    01-07-2015 10:57 AM
    Honestly the way I see Microsoft's release of phones is kind of like the video game industry. You get a whole lot of great games at Q4 (Between October to December) of the year and sometimes in Q1(January to March) but during the summer there's a "drought" of AAA games. Same thing with phones, at Q4 that's where the majority of phones come out. Microsoft however seems to try and fill the "drought" of Q2 and Q3 with low end phones.

Well that's the way I see it anyway so I could be completely wrong on that.
    Considering MS has only released two phones it's hard to know what their cycle is going to be or how they're going to do it. All the rest has been Nokia, doing what Nokia typically did.
    01-07-2015 11:06 AM
    1020 never was a king. 808 is far superior in terms of raw photo quality, minus apps
    01-07-2015 02:41 PM
    Nokia's first run with cameras was with the N8 and let's face it, though great, that bulge was a tad annoying.
    Actually Nokia was the first company to put a camera on a phone. For some time Nokia was even the largest supplier of cameras on the market.

The majority want a nice looking smartphone first with all the goodies that come with that and a good camera second.
    Agree. And that's the problem here: the Lumia line no longer offers anything special over the other brands. The only thing that the Lumia line has over the other imaging smartphones is the 1020. Which, as you correctly pointed out, is a niche device.
    01-07-2015 05:13 PM
    The 1020 was dethroned the moment it was EOL'd and then later buried inside the throne room by the confirmation Denim will bring nothing new to the phone. Which is a shame, one of my relatives has decided to take photography professionally and the 1020 would have been the ideal companion device. But right now it won't cut the mustard especially since he has become accustomed to the LG G3's quick auto focus, probably could have sold him on the 930 but that doesn't have denim yet.
    01-07-2015 08:02 PM
    I'm really exited about the Panasonic CM1, if I could afford one I would buy one.
    Why?
    A 1" sensor in a smartphone.
    I'm pretty sure they are using the Sony sensor from the RX100.

What excites me is full manual controls.
    Yes it even has manual focus, and if the released specs are correct you can change the aperture.

The biggest negative I can think of is with current battery technology, their is no way to get really good battery life out of a phone like this.
    Im not sure if anyone makes good enough software to take advantage of the camera, either.
    Not for in camera raw editing.

I think Microsoft really needs to make a 1030.
    Too many people are waiting for an upgrade for their 1020.
    Now with Panasonic making the CM1, I think it becomes mandatory.
    Last edited by walterg1; 01-07-2015 at 10:48 PM.
    01-07-2015 10:17 PM
    That's because that's where all the money is.
    As stated above, there is no money in the low end. The users MS can get seem to be there. No success on the high end for WP, yet at least.
    01-08-2015 02:19 AM
    I'm using both the OPO and the Sony Z2, I can honestly say the Windows Phone OS is a camera user OS, nothing is better than Windows Phone when it comes to flexibility specially in terms of Gallery, live images, the ability for 3rd and 1st party apps to create pictures you can manipulate later, and even though video editing is relatively new, I've never seen a better straight forward video editor than Movie Maker in the market place.
    01-08-2015 02:38 AM
    Guys what do we already know about the Lumia 1030? Wondering about the release date.
    01-10-2015 05:02 AM
    Guys what do we already know about the Lumia 1030? Wondering about the release date.
    We basicly know nothing. No release date, no specs, no nothing...
    A while back some pictures of a prototype (The cancelled McClaren) that looked like a 1020 successor.

Hopefully we will see something on january 21st... An announcement would be awesome, otherwise they will probably announce some phones at MWC in march...

Hopefully what we will see is a flagship specced phone with an awesome camera and Windows 10 for phones...
    duvik7 likes this.
    01-12-2015 05:06 AM
39 12