1520 vs future Windows phones. To buy or not to buy?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Whatever works for you. I'm not bagging WP. Android is fine for me. I see nothing wrong with it. Maybe because I used to use Symbian. The Z3 is a great camera and is getting RAW support with 5.0 upgrade. I'm curious to see what I'll be able to do with it.

I don't quite understand the negative comments that people make about Android. It's nice to have different OSs available for people to try and find what suits them best.
It is nice to have choices available however for me that os and its UI is awful :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It is nice to have choices available however for me that os and its UI is awful :)

That's what's called personal preference. Choice should never be battered down in a consumer market otherwise we have nothing but monopolies and with that comes stagnation. We don't want that.

If WP works for you, great. If a phone had been available for me with WP OS I wouldn't have bought Android either but I'm not disappointed with what I got.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
So I was left looking at Android or iOS for a phone. I have nothing Apple so that was out but I owned an Android tablet so I bought a Z3. It's a great phone. Nice size and weight. Camera is great and the battery life is amazing. A phone similar to this is what MS and WP needs. A good all rounder. Had a phone like this been around I would never have left WP. Well I haven't left but it's not my daily driver any more.

I have nothing against the 1520 other than it's size and age. I know people who own it but find it frustrating that it has not phablet capabilities, an OS restriction of course. I also have no hate for WP either, just so you know.

Since you love upgrading your phone so much and getting the latest device, you'll love the Z3. Upgrading your phone every 6 months... :/

The 1520 is still a great device regardless of specs. I've got a Lumia 1520 & 930, having upgraded from the Lumia 920. I do not regret getting the 1520. It is an awesome device. I've got no touchscreen issues. The battery life of the 1520 is amazing, usually lasting me more than 2 days with moderate use.

I look forward to getting Windows 10 on my phone. It will make it the pinnacle of productivity. It is a timeless device, one that you could use in the next 2/3 years, even in the fast speed of technological progress.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Since you love upgrading your phone so much and getting the latest device, you'll love the Z3. Upgrading your phone every 6 months... :/

(I do like the design of the Z3 though)

I think you misunderstand. I don't like upgrading my phone frequently. I usually like to get 2 years out it or more. Just because a new model comes out doesn't mean I'm going to get it. I only got the Z3 because my L920 got to a point where it was not practical to keep using it otherwise I would have waited.

I travel a lot and I tend to do days out. I like to take pictures and use my phone while out. The L920 was a horrible phone as I constantly worried about battery life. So now I don't worry at all. My Z3 lasts the day and then some with moderate to heavy use.

The reason I didn't get a L930, the usual suspect other than the L1520 for an upgrade is because the battery was only marginally better than the one on the L920. So I didn't see it as an option. The L830 simply isn't an option for someone like me who wants a flagship device. I'm sure it's a nice device but not what I wanted.

The Z3 is a great phone. I don't mean praise other phones other than WP but if WP had something similar you could see it selling well. It's a very nice flagship phone.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
If you can wait until late half of this year, then get the +40 series running Windows 10. But 1520 has stood its ground for two yrs, still the best WP in the market, of size isn't an issue for you.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If you can wait until late half of this year, then get the +40 series running Windows 10. But 1520 has stood its ground for two yrs, still the best WP in the market, of size isn't an issue for you.

I see you're a bit mixed up.

Not sure where this +40 business came from but there's no indication anywhere that this will be what is used.

The 1520 is a year and three months old.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I may have phrased it wrongky. By the time Win10 Phones come out (late half of this yr), 1520 will be 2 yrs old. Either that or get +40 Lumia, based on the assumption MS will continue Nokia's conventional naming.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I may have phrased it wrongky. By the time Win10 Phones come out (late half of this yr), 1520 will be 2 yrs old. Either that or get +40 Lumia, based on the assumption MS will continue Nokia's conventional naming.

I see. Personally I'd like to see them drop the numbers.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Since you never had a flagship you may not miss anything but for me I was left feeling left out and decided to give something else a try.
I can't blame you, there has been a huge gap of 'nothing' happening recently. I can only assume that they have gotten everyone in the company to create W10.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I can't blame you, there has been a huge gap of 'nothing' happening recently. I can only assume that they have gotten everyone in the company to create W10.

Well I think the Nokia buy out was a big thing as well. That takes up a lot of resources and time. That's probably the main reason why things are the way they are.

I don't really see it as an excuse but I do try to understand. However, that doesn't help WP or users who are keen to upgrade from 1st gen WPs.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you think BB would've faired better if they gone with Windows phone?

No. BlackBerry is a niche player and they hang their hat on security. At least they have a CEO who realizes they will never be a mainstream device and need to stick with what they know. If they sell a few handsets to the general public, that's just gravy. However, they are building some momentum and that could spill over to WP's customer base. The new 10.3.1 has a newer Android Runtime that is optimized for Lollipop and doesn't crash like the old one did.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
It really depends on what moves you the most about a phone. I've had them all most recently iPhone and high end Samsung which were great.
But what moves you most besides making a call, a text or email?
For me it was video, and more importantly audio. I'm a live music nut and I wanted a phone that could not only record great video but exceptional audio even when I'm right in front of the stage without distortion.
Here's a video of guitar great "Kid Andersen" with me right in front of the speaker cabinets with zero distortion.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
For me it was video, and more importantly audio. I'm a live music nut and I wanted a phone that could not only record great video but exceptional audio even when I'm right in front of the stage without distortion.
That video is incredible, its almost like a studio recording, i've heard many praises from SomeGadgetGuy's youtube channel stating that he was astounded by the audio recording of the 1520 and 930.
Currently with my 620 i feel like, although i love the crap out of this little guy the screen is too small, i like watching movies on my phone, so a lot of movies, a lot of internet surfing, a lot of texting and note taking.
Right now i barely use the camera of my 620 because its pretty bad, i dont ever use it to take selfies so im fine with the mediocre front camera on the 1520, I do however do a lot of recordings of fast cars and i do love taking photos. The video quality is very similar to that of my Nikon L110, i might be using it as a temporary replacement for my camera till i get a proper dslr.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I was previously thinking of that exact same thing, get a 535 (they are going for about $100 in my country) and then stick with it till the next big thing.
I'm sure even that would be miles ahead of my dual core 620 with its tiny ram. However if i want to upgrade, i would prefer to just go all out and get a good phone once and for all. Problem is that i don't upgrade often, i usually only upgrade when i feel it is necessary to upgrade. I might get a 635 and then just stick with it for another 2 years. lol

Plus, it just hit me i have never ever ever, owned a flagship phone, so it would be nice to get a little bit of taste of that experience i think.

Go for a Lumia 730 and wait for the next flagship.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I guess I should explain. I'm not alone in this situation.

I own (because I haven't got rid of it yet) a L920. I was in a situation where the battery life was painful and the phone was generally a lemon. So I waited as long as I could to see what MS would do and it turned out to be nothing. The L930 didn't impress me, the L1520 was not a size I wanted and the L830 is not a device I want. I can afford a flagship device so that's what I want. Many are like me. Some have a better position with their phone however so can wait a bit longer.

So I was left looking at Android or iOS for a phone. I have nothing Apple so that was out but I owned an Android tablet so I bought a Z3. It's a great phone. Nice size and weight. Camera is great and the battery life is amazing. A phone similar to this is what MS and WP needs. A good all rounder. Had a phone like this been around I would never have left WP. Well I haven't left but it's not my daily driver any more.

I have nothing against the 1520 other than it's size and age. I know people who own it but find it frustrating that it has not phablet capabilities, an OS restriction of course. I also have no hate for WP either, just so you know.

I just find it sad really that a phone over a year old is still the pinnacle of WP. That says something of the what's wrong with WP.

I agree with you, Phablet is not for everyone, 6in device is to much to handle, if ppl here are comfortable with the size then its fine but I would call 6in devices a niche, not a device for masses. heck I dont even like 5in phones, 830 is too wide, I would love to see a 1520 mini with 4.5-4.7 screen.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Go for a Lumia 730 and wait for the next flagship.
Off topic, my sister will be upgrading soon to a 735 actually.
Right now if i were to buy a temporary phone, id just get a 535. I'm not a rich guy so i cant be upgrading mid range and then upgrading to a flagship a few months later, ill probably run out of money.
However that said, i think i have made my decision, i'll pick up a 1520, in yellow or red.
I'm leaning towards yellow. :cool:

Qais Abu-Hasan

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
For the touch issue I've been using the device for 4 months now and I hadn't faced it, it may has caused some taps when scrolling , but it didn't bother me and it doesn't happen frequently , really it rarely happens to me , the size is just a matter of time and you'll find it just amazing, everyday you'll get just more used to it, it's hardware is not old at all , the thing that might be better is the upcoming snapdragon 810 but do you remember what they told us before ? Even snapdragon 800 is more than enough for windows phone , so you definitely don't need the 810 I can say , and Microsoft is continuing great support for the device so I don't think you'll feel it old
I'm dying for a green cover too :') but its colors are good anyways :p I guess you wouldn't regret getting a Lumia 1520 , remember Lumia 930 is the latest flagship and it has the very same specifications as Lumia 1520 so the support of Lumia 930 is gonna take a while and they don't have any reading not to support Lumia 1520 the same way since it is the same device indeed (except for the size and SD card and display technology) hope I helped and made you make the right choice :)

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Another interesting video shoot. This young lady by the name of Taryn Donath is insane on keyboards and the band is great with plenty of high energy. The 1520 is awesome for video and AUDIO recording. I could have got even better sound had I backed up just a bit. But it's a photographer pit area and you can only back up a few feet. If I were just a bit further back I would pick up more PA cabinets and less stage monitors. Put on some headphones and check it out. This is what makes a great phone for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos