05-28-2015 10:59 PM
111 12345
tools
    The one thing that I hope is completely inaccurate... that the 940 will be unveiled 6 months before we can actually buy one.

Microsoft was completely correct with the Band - keep it almost completely secret, spontaneously unveil it with news that it is also available for sale immediately. This is how you make a big splash and launch an exciting product. Teasing us with a new product that we have to wait half a year for completely kills all excitement and momentum, while showing your hand to the competition and allowing them to plan an appropriate counter-attack.

This should apply to Windows 10 for Phones as well. Please don't show the world all the cool features of WP10 6 months before we can actually use it ourselves. This allows Android and iOS to "mine" Microsoft's ideas, apply them to their own products, and release OS updates with these features before we can actually use them ourselves.
    I cannot thank your post enough for saying this! *cough cough* BlackBerry 10. Such a boneheaded move. WHO RELEASES A SUPER BOWL COMMERCIAL FOR A DEVICE THAT YOU HAVE TO WAIT 3 MONTHS TO BUY???????? Sorry, I could go on. Still annoyed lol
    RJ Priest likes this.
    01-10-2015 07:35 PM
    But. Remember all video game consoles. The companies release nothing until more than 6 months later, and they are successful in that. MS just needs a strategy like that. The only problem is that you'd have to continually trickle info into the wait time.
    That might be what happens with video games where there are realistically only 2 (maybe 2.5) viable competitors and they all have the same plans. Won't work in the phone market.
    RJ Priest likes this.
    01-10-2015 07:36 PM
    seems like apple way. Their conference, Their new Os, Their new device(no sd). Hope ms will adopt annual os update strategy.
    01-10-2015 07:54 PM
    seems like apple way. Their conference, Their new Os, Their new device(no sd). Hope ms will adopt annual os update strategy.
    All I can really hope for with updates is if Microsoft pushes out updates directly and doesn't go through the carriers. That sure would be nice.
    wpn00b likes this.
    01-10-2015 08:09 PM
    All I can really hope for with updates is if Microsoft pushes out updates directly and doesn't go through the carriers. That sure would be nice.
    Well if you are talking about the official update then I'm afraid you must wait for the carrier first(except for iPhones, since Apple blackmail carriers into releasing the updates on schedule) However I don't understand why it takes so long for unlocked devices to get an update.
    01-10-2015 08:37 PM
    Agreed. I don't see why they can't treat WP updates like Windows PC updates. HP, Dell, Acer, etc all don't hold back updates.... Yeah not exactly the same thing, but still, I see no reason why carriers need to hold off updates to make sure they work to their satisfaction.
    wpn00b likes this.
    01-10-2015 10:01 PM
    Agreed. I don't see why they can't treat WP updates like Windows PC updates. HP, Dell, Acer, etc all don't hold back updates.... Yeah not exactly the same thing, but still, I see no reason why carriers need to hold off updates to make sure they work to their satisfaction.
    It's so they can preinstall their own mediocre apps to the build
    01-10-2015 10:09 PM
    How wasn't the 930 a true 920 successor?
    1. I'm on AT&T and couldn't upgrade to it, while the 920 wasn't on Verizon, meaning Icon users couldn't upgrade FROM it.
    2. No IPS LCD = no Glance

It was mostly a technological improvement on the 920, but it was a logistics disaster for U.S. Windows Phone users, since it went to the anti-Microsoft carrier who did little to properly promote it, and pulled it from rotation after 9-10 months.
    01-10-2015 10:43 PM
    Nokia Lumia 1020 says hi

Seriously, this misconception should stop...
    theefman and sahib lopez like this.
    01-10-2015 10:46 PM
    1. I'm on AT&T and couldn't upgrade to it, while the 920 wasn't on Verizon, meaning Icon users couldn't upgrade FROM it.

It was mostly a technological improvement on the 920, but it was a logistics disaster for U.S. Windows Phone users, since it went to the anti-Microsoft carrier who did little to properly promote it, and pulled it from rotation after 9-10 months.
    I definitely agree that it was a disaster that it wasn't something released across the board. I've been preaching forever that Nokia (now Microsoft) needs to cut the sh!t with all the carrier exclusives, and with a lot of people here even saying that the exclusives were a good thing. Putting all the carrier stuff aside though, the 930 is definitely a true successor to the 920, and that was my point. I wasn't bringing carriers into it, just purely phone vs. phone. On a side note though, I hardly think that the lack of Glance is something that prevents the 930 from being a true successor to the 920.
    01-10-2015 10:51 PM
    Lumia 925: You mad bro? I'm LED Display

this stupidity need to stop, no Glance because of the display is no good, if want a good display, cost more money
    01-11-2015 12:50 AM
    "so Microsoft may reportedly opt for the same kind of chassis for the Lumia 940. Other features of the Lumia 940 include NFC and built-in storage options of 32 GB, 64 GB and 128 GB. It is interesting to note that the handset wont feature the currently available Windows Phone 8.1 OS. Rather, it will be rolled out with the new and unannounced Windows Phone 10 OS."

jimmy-fallon-elmo-dancing.jpg

Maybe this is premature to celebrate, but I'll be dog gone if I'm not going to at least celebrate this story in the wake of all the garbage from (google) kantar and their mules planting tombstones around my phone of choice.
    01-11-2015 01:34 AM
    So, I am the only one here that want the 1530?
    Zig87 likes this.
    01-11-2015 03:28 AM
    no, the reason is to actually put up a fight without spec nuts calling it the slowest phone ever because of whatever reason. (ooooh its snapdragon 800 not 801!!!!!! needs moar GHZ IT LAG)

Because 20 is a greater number than 8.7, and 24 is in turn greater than 20
    This is actually really funny, because MS is going the way Android is going, and not the way Apple is going (where Apple has a better business model because they don't have 100 OEMs making something based on their platform). MS has started in the specs war because that's all Android people know in their mobile space.

I was comparing my Nexus 5 to my Lumia 925, and it was pretty interesting.

1. Despite the lower res, the screen is so much more beautiful on Lumia.
    2. The stock camera app opens nearly as fast as the google camera app.
    3. Photos app loads quicker on 925.
    4. Contacts app opens just as quickly as on N5, which is surprising considering our contacts app is a whole hub of multiple things.
    5. Small things like dialler, settings app, Here maps, Messenger, etc. open at the same time on both devices.

All of that is interesting to me considering that N5 has more than twice the hardware power of the 925, so I am assuming that the 930 beats it in performance easily. Microsoft doesn't *have* to chase specs, they are forced to. 16MP on the same sensor they're going to be shoving 24MP on would give much better quality. Which is why they went with 8.7MP when 13+MP were getting common. The 'moar RAM MOAR GHZ PLS' thing is so pointless in WP.
    duvik7, rhapdog and Beppe Gissi like this.
    01-11-2015 03:53 AM
    I simply don't buy this. The 805 is a year-old SoC, though releasing underpowered/outdated SoCs into flagships has kind of been the go-to move for Windows Phone since it launched. Gorilla Glass 4 seems unusual, just because it's not an officially released product. Finally, the 1/21 announcement would seem really weird if this isn't a spring release, because making people wait 6-10 months would be a killer to any hype. Plus, anything after spring, and the 810 is into the competing devices and probably killing it on battery life AND performance, thanks to the big.LITTLE architecture inside.
    This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about in my last comment. How many phones with S805 are in the market right now? A couple of flagships? The only one that does one better is 810 on the LG Flex 2. No one will take you seriously here with those comments. Windows Phone runs better on S400 than Android does on S600, so your argument is pretty much invalid.

"underpowered/outdated hardware"... good Lord... you people.

And GG4 is a launched product. The Note 4 and Galaxy Alpha that were available months ago were using it.
    rhapdog likes this.
    01-11-2015 03:57 AM
    no microSD support would be very disappointing.
    01-11-2015 03:54 PM
    no microSD support would be very disappointing.
    Maybe,but if it comes with different sizes like 64gb and 128gb I wont miss micro SD one bit but I never seen Microsoft release any phone with different size options ,hope so
    01-11-2015 04:09 PM
    Maybe,but if it comes with different sizes like 64gb and 128gb I wont miss micro SD one bit but I never seen Microsoft release any phone with different size options ,hope so
    I'm with you there. I manage very well with 32gb and I promise you if I had 64gb I wouldn't bat an eye. 128gb and still whining about microSD to me and for me is flat out bratty behavior.
    rhapdog likes this.
    01-11-2015 05:00 PM
    I'm with you there. I manage very well with 32gb and I promise you if I had 64gb I wouldn't bat an eye. 128gb and still whining about microSD to me and for me is flat out bratty behavior.
    I have to agree with you there. Although I've got a 635, the SD card slot lets me "choose" how much storage I want. The budget phone allows me to get "something" until I can afford the amount of storage I want, and I can upgrade that amount of storage in the future if I want. Well, not since I've already maxed it out, but that's another thing.

If a phone already has the choice of 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB, then you don't need to buy a 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB SD card. It's built in, which will be better performance than the SD card. Whiners gonna whine though. I'd probably choose the 64GB model and be quite happy with it.
    01-12-2015 10:29 AM
    I don't see the same phone with only different memory sizes... better to offer SD with say 16GB base memory and the user selects. Cheaper too not having product variants.
    01-12-2015 12:06 PM
    I don't see the same phone with only different memory sizes... better to offer SD with say 16GB base memory and the user selects. Cheaper too not having product variants.
    But a lot of folks prefer having the built in. For high end, have different sizes. Low end is where they can go with a low internal storage with option for a microSD
    01-13-2015 08:17 AM
    I have never heard of a Lumia 940.

I think that article was crap, sorry.

New flagship comes this summer.
    01-14-2015 12:39 PM

I think that article was crap, sorry.
    Pretty much everything that comes out of softpedia fits this description.... :)

New flagship comes this summer.
    Interesting but it'll have to be something special to get me off my 1520 + has to be unlocked.
    01-14-2015 12:47 PM
    Hopefully US gets it! And hopefully Verizon carries it, like the Icon.
    01-14-2015 07:05 PM
    I still own a Lumia 800 The 940 sounds like a good phone to replace my old charm
    01-15-2015 04:31 AM
111 12345