Rumor: Lumia 940, Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile:

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Cortana brought this little gem to my attention a few hours ago. I did not see this posted here, but if it is in another section I overlooked, my apologies.

I noted this as being a rumor because Microsoft has yet to officially confirm any of this, but does seem plausible.

As I only have 6 posts in here I am prevented from supplying the link to the report, but I will supply the title of the report and quote the details so you can track the original report better:

Windows 10 For Mobile Will Be Revealed On Jan 21, Microsoft Lumia 940 To Be The First Smartphone To Feature It

Windows 10 for smartphone and tablets is going to be unveiled on Jan 21 alongside the Windows 10 designed for desktop platform. According to IBTimes, Microsoft is going to do away with Windows Phone OS for smarpthones and tables by releasing Windows 10 for such mobile devices.

IBTimes report claims that the all the existing smarpthones and tablets running on Windows Phone or Windows Phone 8.1 will be upgraded to the new Windows 10 OS for mobile for free. Another IBTimes post states that the Windows 10 OS designed for mobile devices will be launched as Windows Mobile 10.

According to PC Advisor, the Microsoft Lumia 940 will be the very first device to feature the Windows Mobile 10 OS. The Lumia 940 will come out to replace the Lumia 930 that was released in July 2014. So, the successor model is expected to arrive by July or August this year.

The Lumia 940 will sport a 5-inch full HD screen, states IBTimes. The screen will be shielded with Corning Glass 4. The device will be powered by Snapdragon 805 chipset that will be supported by 3 GB of RAM. It will feature a 24 MP PureView rear camera that will be able to record ultra HD video at 60 fps. The front-facing camera of 5 MP will support full HD video shooting. It will be available with three native storage editions such as 32 GB, 64 GB and 128 GB.

As far as the Windows 10 edition for desktops is concerned, IBTimes report shows that the users of Windows 8.1 will be upgrade to the new OS without paying any money. Users with Windows 7 PC will have to shell out a small fee to upgrade to Windows 10. Users of Windows Vista and Window XP PCs will have to buy the new OS at full price in order to use it.

Microsoft has neither confirmed on the Lumia 940 nor on the pricing information of Windows 10. PC Advisor states that Windows 10 will be made available for consumers by late summer or early fall this year.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
The 940 with different storage options sounds like no SD card support, at least we have the option of more storage. Hopefully the Carriers in the US will offer ALL versions.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The only reason to put that kind of hardware on a Lumia is to power the camera. I still don't get why they would move from 8.7 to 20, and 20 to 24.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The only reason to put that kind of hardware on a Lumia is to power the camera. I still don't get why they would move from 8.7 to 20, and 20 to 24.

no, the reason is to actually put up a fight without spec nuts calling it the slowest phone ever because of whatever reason. (ooooh its snapdragon 800 not 801!!!!!! needs moar GHZ IT LAG)

Because 20 is a greater number than 8.7, and 24 is in turn greater than 20

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
no, the reason is to actually put up a fight without spec nuts calling it the slowest phone ever because of whatever reason. (ooooh its snapdragon 800 not 801!!!!!! needs moar GHZ IT LAG)

But the 930-940 change is a little less than from 920-930.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

Funny you say that because I was actually going to say that if it's coming out that far into 2015, it should have the Snapdragon 810 chipset in it. :)

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The fact that there are exactly zero tablets currently running Windows Phone, yet this article mentions that such existing tablets running Windows Phone will get Windows 10, makes me discount the article's credibility.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The fact that there are exactly zero tablets currently running Windows Phone, yet this article mentions that such existing tablets running Windows Phone will get Windows 10, makes me discount the article's credibility.

You realize that when Win10 comes out, phones will be running the same OS as tablets and PC's, right? Plus, I think the OP was alluding to the fact that all Lumia devices are said to be slated to receive the Win10 update for free when it comes out.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
You realize that when Win10 comes out, phones will be running the same OS as tablets and PC's, right? Plus, I think the OP was alluding to the fact that all Lumia devices are said to be slated to receive the Win10 update for free when it comes out.
Yes, of course. I also know that tablets are either already running Windows (x86/x64) or Windows RT (ARM), the author of the article seemed to think that tablets run Windows Phone. This apparent confusion is what I was referring to.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I suppose we'll find out something in about 12 days. Hurry up and wait, already!

Wake me when it's time. I'm going to take a really, really long snooze.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes, of course. I also know that tablets are either already running Windows (x86/x64) or Windows RT (ARM), the author of the article seemed to think that tablets run Windows Phone. This apparent confusion is what I was referring to.

I didn't see anything to make me think that the author of the article thought that tablets run Windows phone. If you're referring to the first sentence "Windows 10 for smartphone and tablets is going to be unveiled on Jan 21 alongside the Windows 10 designed for desktop platform.", I don't get that at all.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Wow! Hope its real and i hope there is a SD support as well, it might turn some people off again if they decided not to include it. But it doesn't matter, so glad to FINALLY hear some good news, even if it is rumor.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Small problem, if this phone is all spected out in January but is not being put out until Aug or Sept there is a pretty good possibility it will be out of date (compared to other releases by other OEM's)before its released. And if the 830 and 735 are any indications most of the markets will not get the phone until December. Don't know if this is good news or not. And if it does happen; please don't leave out a SD card slot. Will they ever learn.Or maybe I should be saying will WE never learn.

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Interesting... Esp since the 930 is newer then the 1520.... For me personally... I like the specs a lot (apart from 5" screen as I am used to my 1520 now) but it wont make me leave the 1520 for that as the 1520 does everything I need. I don't play games on it much at all. I just use it for facebook, net and YouTube.... So this phone will never be out dated for me as it does all that no problem. If the 1520 didn't have SD card support then I would.... But... Happy with my phone... But still great news all the same :)

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Small problem, if this phone is all spected out in January but is not being put out until Aug or Sept there is a pretty good possibility it will be out of date (compared to other releases by other OEM's)before its released.
That's exactly what happened with 930 (or Icon). It was announced in X month and only after few month released

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077